Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or the built in squid indicator?!?

Stock rear Bridgestone

I have experimented from 32-36 psi cold.
Today I rode 200 miles (82 degrees) for a total of 1600mi - starting psi was 32.
The rear tire is pretty shot in the middle....My last bike (15 years ago) was sold with original tires @ 6k miles.
Is this normal for a modern tire? Not a big deal, just curious what others get from an oem tire.

I have a new set ready to mount, if air related I need to correct - and apparently turn a lot more.:p

squid indicator.jpg

Reactions: Dr_R

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Brian, as stated in the first couple of responses, hard acceleration will certainly cut short the life of the tire. Personally, I would drop the cold pressure to around 30 psi on the next one. Another issue that looks like it is showing up in your picture is the rebound adjustment of the rear end. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the trailing edge of the grooves is slightly higher than the leading edge of the groove, according to the direction of tire rotation. If that is in fact the case, reduce the rebound setting on your rear shock by about 3 clicks or at least a 1/4 turn. If I'm seeing things in that picture that aren't really there (higher trailing edge) then disregard what I just said. Oh, one other thing.......get the damn thing leaned over more! You live in TN.....you aren't suppose to wear out the center of a tire! :cool:

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, Thanks guys.
Vern, that is why I was concerned. I rarely ride a straight road more than a few miles.....
My only excuse is that my last 400 or so miles (before today) have been riding with my wife, at a VERY CONSERVATIVE pace. It has been a painful learning curve, however I think she turned the corner this weekend. She is starting to relax and embrace the lean/momentum.

Anyway, it's embarrassing having only the center used up like that....Most of the tire has been used, just not enough!

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Brian, so are the groove edges at dissimilar heights or am I seeing things?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is slightly raised on the trailing edges. Sort of a feathered lip.
I have a set of Q3's to mount up tomorrow. I will tweak the rebound and give it a shot.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Don't be, it's all good; at least you check your air pressures.
No it's not! If you live in TN and the center of your tire wears out before the edges, they send you a "first warning" notice. If it happens again, they threaten to pull your man card. Third time, you have to sell your bike and buy a Harley! :cool:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
No it's not! If you live in TN and the center of your tire wears out before the edges, they send you a "first warning" notice. If it happens again, they threaten to pull your man card. Third time, you have to sell your bike and buy a Harley! :cool:
Hey Hey Hey, I have a Harley...but I'm not selling my FZ-09.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, Vern is right! It's not like I still live in Indiana....No excuse being in TN!:eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take 2- man card at stake:eek:

mounted, balanced, aligned, chain serviced and adjusted

dum da dum we will see if I can ease up on wheelies and aggressive downshifting......ya know, so Vern won't shame me.
I think this is cyber bullying :cool:
new skin.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Man.......look at the size of those chicken strips! :cool:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man.......look at the size of those chicken strips! :cool:
Bully!- But hey, I'm a chicken!......You must be the Chicken Hawk! eeek!

I scuffed them in on the way to a lunch meeting.

chicken strips.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doubling your wife didn't do the old tire any favors either.
Hey Doug, we didn't double up, my post was about clear as mud.

She just got her own bike and is learning to ride. Our pace has mostly been too slow to lean HeHeHe. She is getting the hang of it finally. She is starting to lean and carry her momentum much better- we even passed a car or two.:rolleyes:

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Bully!- But hey, I'm a chicken!......You must be the Chicken Hawk! eeek!

I scuffed them in on the way to a lunch meeting.

View attachment 4009
LOL....I've worn out a few tires in the middle before the edges, I just don't pictures for evidence! :cool:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL....I've worn out a few tires in the middle before the edges, I just don't pictures for evidence! :cool:
HeHeHe I ain't proud!

It is what it is, I put it out there so the gullible among us can see the reality of hooligan riding.

This thing can shred a tire! Oh, and I NEVER did a single burn out FWIW.

Reactions: triplethreat
1 - 20 of 20 Posts