Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snowed here today. Apartment parking. Can this much snow (and cold weather, got to about -1c) damage the bike? Anything I should do before starting her up again when it's warm?

·
Registered
280 Posts
A night outside in the snow won't bother your bike any more than it would a car.

Edit:
Looking at the snow on the bike makes me sad, but snow is dry, so it wont be much different than riding the bike in the rain tomorrow when the sun comes out and melts the snow off. but lubing your chain again would probably be a dilligent thing to to.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sucks don't it! I had no more snow at all here in the South Shore Montreal area. Now i look out the window and see freaking 2 inches of snow! Will this winter EVER go away!?!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A night outside in the snow won't bother your bike any more than it would a car.

Edit:
Looking at the snow on the bike makes me sad, but snow is dry, so it wont be much different than riding the bike in the rain tomorrow when the sun comes out and melts the snow off. but lubing your chain again would probably be a dilligent thing to to.
I'll keep that in mind.

Sucks don't it! I had no more snow at all here in the South Shore Montreal area. Now i look out the window and see freaking 2 inches of snow! Will this winter EVER go away!?!
Where about in the South Shore? I'm in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu

·
Registered
34 Posts
Snow by itself won't harm for a while. But humidity with cold weather and change of heat will deform the leather/rubber parts(in few years). Also comes with snow, the salt used to prevent ice on the streets will defect the metal parts(lets say in 10 years).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Where about in the South Shore? I'm in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
St-jean-Baptiste - Right between Mont St-Hilaire and Mont Rougemont. We are pratically neighbors ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Extended cold really does a number on my batteries unless I keep them on a battery tender. You can get a cheap cover from Cycle Gear that will help. Plus, it helps hide the bike under it.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm afraid a cover might act like a sail in the wind and knock the bike over :(
If the cover fits well you should be ok (depending on how bad your winds are) . We've had 30mph winds here lately and no problem. I know the Hawaiian guys use a similar dowco cover and it's held up well in stronger winds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hope snow doesn't damage anything. I just came across Colorado and Wyoming and it was horrible!!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Most higher end covers have a soft liner on the inside. I've only had the fz covered for a month but have zero problems. My SV was covered and no issues either.

If you wanted to go the expensive route, there is something like a cycleshell that is anchored and does not contact the bike but is also 300 more than a premium dowco cover.

For those of us not fortunate enough to have a garage I'd say a cover is better than nothing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think that pic should qualify as child abuse. I had to park my bikes outside when I was in the army - cracking seats, failed wires and connections, moisture in the tank and cases, corroded fuel systems... If I were you I'd find someone with a little garage space they'd rent you or a storage shed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts