Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding more and getting very comfortable on it.
I switched up from my dirtbike today and found myself shifting like a "dirtbike", no clutch upshifts and a couple times downshifting hard into a turn (supermoto).
Am I going to hurt it? I know the dirtbikes can handle it because the dirt is more forgiving. My DR650 can handle it because it has a CUSH drive in the rear.
Can the FZ-09 handle it without too much stress on the tranny?
Damn it is fun throwing this bike around on the street. :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I often up shift without the clutch, the 09 handles it fine. Going down I clutch, not as easy to get it right.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Clutch less up shifting done well unlikely to be harmful. Clutchless downshifting on a road bike can't be good for it.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I used to shift up a lot w/o the clutch because it is so easy and smooth. Then I read where this might cause premature wear of the dogs. It may be BS but I cut that practice to a minimum just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been shifting without clutch for a long long time on many different type of bikes... never had any problems... use to race and when racing you do not want to use the clutch, you loose valuable power and acceleration when using it.
The FZ takes the shifting without clutch no problem...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I wonder why Yamaha didn't put it in the owners manual that after first gear avoid using the clutch when accelerating so you get the performance we designed into the bike which is far more important that having a transmission last the life of the engine. IMHO.

It's your bike, I don't care how you shift it or if you transmission lasts as long as mine or not. I will continue using the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't take me wrong... I do use the clutch a slow speed and around town... but when I accelerate fast that's when I do not use it.... like you said to each is own way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Once in a while when I'm lazy and riding one handed I don't use the clutch up or down shifting. But 95% of the time I use the clutch.

Done rite I don't see the harm in clutch-less shifting on any vehicle with manual trans...did it all the time when I drove trucks back in the day.

Reactions: VERSYS8

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
All the time, up and down shift. Unless i'm in traffic, but in spirited rides yes.

Recently installed Powercommander quick shifter, this makes the shifting much quicker. However, I loose the ability to clutch less shift from 1-2 gear, after that its butter shifting.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Unless you do it PERFECT every single time, do it enough and you'll find yourself with a broken transmission. It's not a super sport, it's a commuter bike, and won't take that kind of abuse for long. I have the Power Commander Quick Shifter and it eliminates the wear and tear of shifting without a clutch. Get yourself one and do it the right way.

Reactions: Tunnelvision748

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Unless you do it PERFECT every single time, do it enough and you'll find yourself with a broken transmission. It's not a super sport, it's a commuter bike, and won't take that kind of abuse for long. I have the Power Commander Quick Shifter and it eliminates the wear and tear of shifting without a clutch. Get yourself one and do it the right way.
I don't see how a supersport vs commuter bike makes a difference. I've been clutchless upshifting on everything from my old 1972 CL350, through to my FZ-09. The only bike I had a transmission problem with was the SV650 but that was because of a poor shift star design (which was fixed in '05 so I bought an '05 shift star). I think your point about shifting well makes more sense that the type of bike. If you're smooth at clutchless upshifts then you're likely fine. If you're not smooth at it, I would imagine you'll abandon clutchess shifting long before you would damage your bike. ;)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
sequential gearboxes allow clutch less shifting .

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's not a super sport, it's a commuter bike, and won't take that kind of abuse for long.
Are you basing this statement on any kind of evidence? I think given the torque it has to deal with, the gearbox on this bike will be tougher than that of most 600s.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No clutch going up through the gear unless I'm stuck in traffic.
If you adjust the shifter you can get away with very little movement and only a quick few hundred drop in revs.

To downshift with no clutch you really need to get it right, I've done it a few times but I usually stick to the blip and clutch method on the way down.

Anything can be changed clutchless if the revs and gears mesh just don't force things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts