Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you guys think of this Flo Billet reusable oil filter. I found it on Amazon for $89. Is it worth it?
Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
Lots of nice features, but I notice that he never said just how well it actually, you know, filters.

·
Registered
80 Posts
$85 for poorer filtration? I'd keep buying $6 filters.
Hey Captain,
Where do you get $6 oil filters???
Everything Ive found is around $12 on up.
Ill stay away from factory Yamaha filters thank you very much. They were not rated very good.
Been using Vesrah.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
They make 'reusable' stainless filters for dirt bikes too and they're junk. Try replacing your paper coffee filters with a 'reusable' strainer and then look at all the grounds in the bottom of your mug. Same concept.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was talking with one of the members in my riding group yesterday who uses one on a GSXR. She highly recommended it, but it was merely motivated by cost. Filters are a fraction of what other maintenance items cost when owning a motorcycle. It probably does a decent job, reviews on Amazon seem good. But, changing oil is a 10 minute job, no need to make it a 30+ minute job by adding a filter that has to be cleaned.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Kind of funny. I work on car from early 30s to early 70s for the most part. Those cartridge style filter is what they use and got upgraded to the normal spin-on filter that we know today. I saw those cartridge with felt, paper and steel mess filters... no new invention here.

Is this a better product? Maybe if you can clean it properly, if not it make it worst. Sort of look a bit bulky too... I'll stick to my Fram disposable filter.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hey Captain,
Where do you get $6 oil filters???
Everything Ive found is around $12 on up.
Ill stay away from factory Yamaha filters thank you very much. They were not rated very good.
Been using Vesrah.
$12 for a filter? What are you buying?

Oil filters are $3-4 at any autoparts store and even Walmart

·
Registered
80 Posts
$12 for a filter? What are you buying?

Oil filters are $3-4 at any autoparts store and even Walmart

I never said I was buying anything. What I said was that the prices I found were around $12 on up. I know our local "Stealership" charges $15 for a factory filter. Several other local shops are in the $12 and $13 range for Hiflo, Emgo and K&N. I dont use Fram filters which is what our local Walmart and AutoZone carry. Never been a fan of Fram.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wow, Good price and its a very well designed filter.
Thanks, I think I will start using Purolator.
I paint the puke brown filters black before they go on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been using the PC racing stainless filter on my vmax for years. No problems at all. I like that I can easily see anything caught up in it when cleaning. I can change the oil anytime without having to run and and get a filter. They claim you get higher flow rates and oil cooling.(I don't rally know). Be careful on what the paper filter guys claim as to size of particle. I read some report that one filter co claimed 20 micron on their paper filter. Tests showed it was closer to 60. If you plan on having your bike a long time it may be a good investment.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
We need some actual data. How well does it actually filter particles? How many microns? A great way to get higher flow is to simply allow more particles to slip by.
Same with air filters.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts