Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an Akra Titanium system with the Cat Converter and baffle on my FZ07 since Sept last year...and like Yamaha says .... no fuel controller required. They were right...none required. It ran great except for a light load very slight lean condition. The Akra is great but it sounds wimpy so I finally got tired of it and bought a stage one Arrow full system and the EJK fuel controller from Dobeck. I knew I would need a fuel controller with the Arrow system.

I received the EJK fuel controller from Dobeck { $225.00 for forum members} in three days...but I don't have the Arrow exhaust system yet...so I decided to install the EJK and see how it worked with the Akra TI exhaust.

I am really surprised how much more hp it feels like it has...and more importantly to me....is how smooth it got at every RPM. Honestly if feels like it gained 3 hp just by installing the fuel controller. The mid range is mind blowing.....so I guess the Akra Ti without a fuel controller was a hair lean. It's amazing how much better and faster it runs now. Never had a Dobeck fuel controller before...so I highly recommend it now.

Reactions: Fizzerpilot

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Work great on the FZ07 too. Good gain at mid range and improve throttle response. The blue light setting is nice too if you have the chance to play with it, acceleration pump. Going lean a bit help...

Did you remove the airbox lid?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Work great on the FZ07 too. Good gain at mid range and improve throttle response. The blue light setting is nice too if you have the chance to play with it, acceleration pump. Going lean a bit help...

Did you remove the airbox lid?
I didn't touch a thing. I just ran it the way they sent it...which if I read the info right...is set to 3 all the way across. The recommended settings for my set up were just a hair higher so I left it alone for now. I did not remove the airbox lid either and I'm running a modded Akra baffle with larger diameter outlet tubes. I'll know more when I run it a 4,000 feet and see how it does.

·
Registered
187 Posts
lol go put it on a dyno and get it "dialed in". or, do it proper and get a flash with the fueling already built into it, or a power commander/bazzaz that actually is a good fuel programmer. ejk is not an ideal performance part

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol go put it on a dyno and get it "dialed in". or, do it proper and get a flash with the fueling already built into it, or a power commander/bazzaz that actually is a good fuel programmer. ejk is not an ideal performance part
It was already on a dyno at Dobeck and that's how they got the recommended settings. Perhaps you should learn more about things before making dumb comments.

Reactions: schultzy

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
How would he, or anyone, know it was on a dyno at Dobeck?
If he had learned more before posting, you and I wouldn't have needed to post here at all.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How would he, or anyone, know it was on a dyno at Dobeck?
That's exactly right....how would he know if a Dobeck controller worked or not?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It was already on a dyno at Dobeck and that's how they got the recommended settings. Perhaps you should learn more about things before making dumb comments.
i deleted the response i just spent 20 minutes typing and decided i'm going to be nice and say good for you that your bike runs better, that's all that matters right? i'm going to end it on this, in the real world of tuning, a dobeck product is sub par to all other options available to you for getting an engine to perform efficiently and optimally. it's the cheapest for a reason. good luck with your bike, many happy miles to you.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
i deleted the response i just spent 20 minutes typing and decided i'm going to be nice and say good for you that your bike runs better, that's all that matters right? i'm going to end it on this, in the real world of tuning, a dobeck product is sub par to all other options available to you for getting an engine to perform efficiently and optimally. it's the cheapest for a reason. good luck with your bike, many happy miles to you.
:hatsoff: for taking the high road.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You've made the assumption that I'm trying to tune a bike to it's utmost performance capabilities....so to you the Dobeck is "sub par". My objective is the ability to change the a/f ratio to my liking, any time I want to...without spending another dime doing it. Your flash mapping, and your Power Commander solutions do not allow that..and the map you get is what you are stuck with....or have to download to change. In addition...any map you get from any tuner is a map that he is partial too and thinks is the best map. There is never a guarantee that the owner will be pleased with the map the tuner provides. With a flash map....the owner has to pay to get his CPU reflashed. So if he changes the air cleaner or removes the snorkel...or removes the DB killer or changes the exhaust system.....he has to pay to have the CPU re flashed for that particular setup. No thanks....I don't want that. With a Power Commander the map can be changed with a lap top or a download...but how many normal folks know how to change a map or what to change it to? No thanks...don't want that either.

I've had several Power Commanders on many bikes that I've owned...and have had custom maps made by Duc Shop and have used custom maps that individual tuners made themselves. If I owned a dedicated track bike or a real hyper sport bike weapon I would go the Power Commander route again....but I don't. I own a 72 hp FZ07 that will never see a track day....or a drag strip....and I could care less about having the most horsepower that I can get with the bike. What I want is driveability and the ability to change the intake or exhaust any time I want to, without spending more money changing maps to suit what I've changed. The Dobeck EJK does that. No other fuel controller does.

I would rather have a motorcycle that gives up a few hp in order to have a super smooth bike that fuels on the rich side and has no jerkiness in on off throttle transitions. With the Dobeck....I can tune those parameters in myself in a few seconds...for free. So you see it isn't a"SUB PAR" tuning option for everybody.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You've made the assumption that I'm trying to tune a bike to it's utmost performance capabilities....so to you the Dobeck is "sub par". My objective is the ability to change the a/f ratio to my liking, any time I want to...without spending another dime doing it. Your flash mapping, and your Power Commander solutions do not allow that..and the map you get is what you are stuck with....or have to download to change. In addition...any map you get from any tuner is a map that he is partial too and thinks is the best map. There is never a guarantee that the owner will be pleased with the map the tuner provides. With a flash map....the owner has to pay to get his CPU reflashed. So if he changes the air cleaner or removes the snorkel...or removes the DB killer or changes the exhaust system.....he has to pay to have the CPU re flashed for that particular setup. No thanks....I don't want that. With a Power Commander the map can be changed with a lap top or a download...but how many normal folks know how to change a map or what to change it to? No thanks...don't want that either.

I've had several Power Commanders on many bikes that I've owned...and have had custom maps made by Duc Shop and have used custom maps that individual tuners made themselves. If I owned a dedicated track bike or a real hyper sport bike weapon I would go the Power Commander route again....but I don't. I own a 72 hp FZ07 that will never see a track day....or a drag strip....and I could care less about having the most horsepower that I can get with the bike. What I want is driveability and the ability to change the intake or exhaust any time I want to, without spending more money changing maps to suit what I've changed. The Dobeck EJK does that. No other fuel controller does.

I would rather have a motorcycle that gives up a few hp in order to have a super smooth bike that fuels on the rich side and has no jerkiness in on off throttle transitions. With the Dobeck....I can tune those parameters in myself in a few seconds...for free. So you see it isn't a"SUB PAR" tuning option for everybody.
Pretty sure the power commander will let you change a/f ratios. It comes with software to load and alter maps.

Edit: I see later you mention that the PC can alter maps with a PC. that's true. it also allows for 2 maps to be held in memory and switched at will via a toggle switch.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If anybody is interested....I removed the Akra TI system yesterday and installed the new Arrow Thunder system with the baffle. I left the EJK alone as I had it tuned for 4,000 feet over the weekend and so I knew it would be a bit rich running here at 1,000 feet where I live. I couldn't take a long ride since it was raining a bit....but the Arrow full system is definetly WAY faster than the AKRA TI. The mid range is mindblowing. I banged second gear and the tire spun on the wet road. I'll know more when I get a long long test ride....but so far I can tell the Arrow moves the power UP in the RPM range and you lose a little bit of torque at 3 and 4k. It feels like it gained another 3 hp from 5 to 9k. If I had to guess it feels like I'm getting about 72 hp to the rear wheel now. 66 was stock. Oh and even WITH the baffle....the Arrow Thunder is very loud.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If anybody is interested....I removed the Akra TI system yesterday and installed the new Arrow Thunder system with the baffle. I left the EJK alone as I had it tuned for 4,000 feet over the weekend and so I knew it would be a bit rich running here at 1,000 feet where I live. I couldn't take a long ride since it was raining a bit....but the Arrow full system is definetly WAY faster than the AKRA TI. The mid range is mindblowing. I banged second gear and the tire spun on the wet road. I'll know more when I get a long long test ride....but so far I can tell the Arrow moves the power UP in the RPM range and you lose a little bit of torque at 3 and 4k. It feels like it gained another 3 hp from 5 to 9k. If I had to guess it feels like I'm getting about 72 hp to the rear wheel now. 66 was stock. Oh and even WITH the baffle....the Arrow Thunder is very loud.
Glad you're happy with your new system. I may get the EJK for the WR250X. Now modify your signature! :p

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much did it hurt your fuel mileage?

You going to sell the Akra TI? Please let me know.
Fuel mileage went down 2 mpg from the Akra Titanium. I've been running it hard to adjust the fuel controller so I saw 44 mpg the lowest,...and 47mpg the highest. I normally saw 49mpg with the Akra Ti. Jury is still out on selling the Akra.....but if I do I will contact you by PM.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fuel mileage went down 2 mpg from the Akra Titanium. I've been running it hard to adjust the fuel controller so I saw 44 mpg the lowest,...and 47mpg the highest. I normally saw 49mpg with the Akra Ti. Jury is still out on selling the Akra.....but if I do I will contact you by PM.
That's pretty good. Not that I buy a motorcycle for mileage, but my SV1000 with a pipe and programmer got worst mileage then my car.

I appreciate you keeping me in mind on the Akra.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Well posted.

It would be nice to see hard numbers from stock and both systems but that would be costly. With the Arrow you feel it moved the power up in the rpm range.... interesting, will be waiting to hear if you still feel the same way after a longer ride. I read in CW magazine that a flat tracker was making 75 at the wheel with no airbox ( it had like a K&N cone filter), pipe and tuner.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Well posted.

It would be nice to see hard numbers from stock and both systems but that would be costly. With the Arrow you feel it moved the power up in the rpm range.... interesting, will be waiting to hear if you still feel the same way after a longer ride. I read in CW magazine that a flat tracker was making 75 at the wheel with no airbox ( it had like a K&N cone filter), pipe and tuner.
If I was going to get a FZ07 that would be the first place I would work. Airbox & cam timing. That bike is soooo restricted...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well posted.

With the AKRA TI...Cat converter...baffle IN..... and stock Yamaha map...it ran a little faster than stock...lost a little low end under 5k and felt like about a 2 hp gain overall. With the AKRA T1 and EJK controller..it gained another few horsepower and lost a little torque under 5k. For some reason that I can't explain....it never gor the right engine braking ...or the right on off throttle smoothness, no matter how I adjusted the EJK.

Then I changed over to the Arrow full system and I ASSUMED I would not get good results from the EJK just like last time, but I was wrong. With the recommended settings provided by EJK... the bike gained MASSIVE torque from 3k to 9k...and WAY better acceleration AND top end. Feels like 5 to 6 more hp than stock....but that is just a guess. It pulls from 3k like a tractor now. It is VERY fast compared to the the AKRA TI ..with or without a fuel controller.

The torque begins at the same point with the AKRA or the ARROW. Only the stock exhaust had a bit more torque off idle up to 3k. The big difference now is in the fueling. The AFR is about as perfect as it can get right now....and that is what makes the torque start at the same point.

I owned a 2006 Ducati Multistrada {1000 cc 2 valve V-Twin, about 465 pounds} with flash map and Staintunes exhaust cans. I don't know what hp it had...but it was likely about 85 to 90 at the rear wheel. I think the FZ07 with the Arrow and EJK would slightly out run it...{because of the weight difference}....that's how good it is now. I've put 350 miles on the Arrow-EJK in the last 5 days.

My conclusion is that if any FZ-07 owner wants a few more hp and torque than stock...and wants a little bit more noise....the AKRA TI with the CAT and WITH the baffle... ....running the stock Yamaha map...and the 02 disconnected, is the best bang for the buck. It's smooth..it fuels great....gets 44 to 47 mpg....and is a pleasure to ride. Nothing else is needed.

If any FZ07 owner requires a motorcycle that actually SOUNDS like a motorcycle.....and is WAY faster with about a 6 hp gain over stock....do the ARROW system WITH the baffle IN......disconnect the 02 sensor....and get the EJK fuel controller...and set it to the recommended settings. For experiment I rode it 12 miles on back roads ..like an old woman....and got 51.3 MPG.
If I ride it like I stole it...it gets 48 mpg. [according the avg. mpg on the dash}.

So far I'm really liking the Arrow and the EJK. I still have to ride it at 4k feet to see how it does....but I know how to adjust the EJK in 15 seconds...so that shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts