Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? Does it make sense to bring it to dealer for glorified oil change or no ?
I'm coming up on 600 miles soon and thinking that I can just do my own oil change. Is there really anything important dealer has to do ?
I don't want to spend big $$$ if I don't need to.
If you did bring it to dealer, how much did it cost you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just brought mine to the dealer yesterday. Was 160sh for yes a glorified oil change. They actually took the slack out of the throttle and adjusted/ lubed the chain and the "inspected" everything else. Also got them to order the new cct which they will replace free of charge so while i agree that it was way too much money id say if u have the extra cash why not. Idk how crucial the first service is in relation to keeping the wrranty but i figured id at least need the first to be at the shop and then oil changes at home untill another major service point. O and heres the kicker that is just mind boggling., on the invoice there was a peice that said test ride! so i just paid some twerp to ride my bike? god almighty

·
Registered
833 Posts
No. I changed my oil myself (for the second time). Kept the receipts and and logged it into my maintenance records notebook. I'm sure my warranty will still be valid. And i got to spend some valuable time with my Orange beauty!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Never. They barely assembled my bike properly, and I don't feel confident having one of their guys touch it. They ran off the good technicians years ago. I will adjust the throttle bodies myself one a year, otherwise I will take it to an old friend for major work. I learned not to let the warranty thing sway my better judgement. I treat bikes like they don't have a warranty, and keep them long after it expires.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Rarely go to dealers with any of my vehicles. The bigger ones may only have one or two really good wrenches and the rest are flunkies who work under their supervision or lack there of.

You will not get the TLC treatment of your baby at a dealership. That treatment is only found in your very own garage.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yeah same here. Only thing my bike will go to the dealer for is so they can look at it and order a new cct. I would install the new cct if they would let me too.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I do my own stuff and if I do it wrong, there is only one person to blame.
I have heard too many stories from people I know at work where they took their car in to "jiffy lube" (or equivalent) drove it around for a while then went on a trip to California and lost their oil going up the grapevine, because the plug fell out. Cracked sumps, stripped threads you name it, they do it. It's not their vehicle.
There is a lot of desert around here - if your vehicle dies out there, you could too. Cell phone coverage?? Can you hear me now now now...Would you trust your life to some "don't care teenager" who you never even see???

Mechanics are "paid by the hour" or worse "by the job". The faster they finish the more money they make.

Not everybody has the mechanical skill to do their own stuff, so in those cases (the majority) your relationship skills need to be very keen, so you can sort the wheat from the chaff of dealership mechanics.

If you have extra cash floating around I suggest investing it for retirement. A REIT (not a REIT fund) would be a good place.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have no issues taking my bike to the dealer for service, but I have known the tech there for quite some time....
That being said, I do service it myself, but if I have a warranty issue, I can rest assured it will be fixed properly...its a shame that cant be said about all dealer techs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just brought mine to the dealer yesterday. Was 160sh for yes a glorified oil change. They actually took the slack out of the throttle and adjusted/ lubed the chain and the "inspected" everything else. Also got them to order the new cct which they will replace free of charge so while i agree that it was way too much money id say if u have the extra cash why not. Idk how crucial the first service is in relation to keeping the wrranty but i figured id at least need the first to be at the shop and then oil changes at home untill another major service point. O and heres the kicker that is just mind boggling., on the invoice there was a peice that said test ride! so i just paid some twerp to ride my bike? god almighty
We must have the same dealer.
I changed oil myself at 400 mi, then had the dealer do the first service at 1000 and order a new cct kit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hello all Fzers, I was wondering if anyone has purchased a Fz 09 shop/service manual? I would like a down loaded version for my laptop/iPad. I like a very detailed information. I have worked professionally in a gm dealer for 25 years an have seen poor automotive service manuals in my line of work. I would rather pay for a good one than to buy three cheap ones if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I dont let dealers touch my bikes. So over priced, you always loose. They also pay their mechanics scraps, so the good ones quit and start their own shops. I paid a good shop $60 for the Throttle Body Sync, the dealership wanted $200 freakin dollars!

If I had it my way I'd order new bikes from Yamaha directly and then work on it myself and or take it to private shops for maintenance.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I took mine to the dealer. I had the springs I bought from Stoltec installed along with it. The total was $363 for 600 mile service + fork spring installation. They gave me a choice between Yamalube mineral oil (which would have been cheaper) or Silkolene full synthetic (which are the only two oils they offer to people who don't bring their own in). I got the Silkolene.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The throttle bodies will probably need to be synced... I hear most new bikes need it adjusted adter break in... If you know how to do that... You may be ok... But i think letting the pros do their thing right after you break in is best.. After that you can do your own maintenance... Would still bring it in every so often after several of your own maintenances though.

My 1st bike so just my humble 2 cents

·
Registered
111 Posts
My dealer in Winnipeg has helped me out lots and the did my first service and said do the rest yourself it's cheap and easy... I did it just so they could make the final adjustments so after the first and the cct change ill be staying away from the dealer

·
Registered
260 Posts
...I don't want to spend big $$$ if I don't need to.
If you did bring it to dealer, how much did it cost you?
Wow! Just shows how out of touch I am. I assumed that first check would be free!
Sure would like to get the throttle bodies adjusted though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Firstly the dealers will usually throw in a free service or two when you buy i feel like it is easier to get free work or parts than to knock off price of purchase.

Secondly i will be doing most maintenance myself; warranty should not be an issue if you buy parts from your local dealer they will record everything that you buy and that can be used to show what has been done and what dates it was done.

At my local dealer full service oil, lube, inspection $121 with tax so not that bad to have someone every now and then double check your work because it is easy for one to catch what another has been missing.

My last opinion is good maintenance is the life any machine; so if you do it yourself or have someone do it just make sure it gets done.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts