Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing about getting new exhausts and then having their bike dyno'd or ecu reflashed.
Does this NEED to be done, or will the bike run poorly if I just stick a full or slip-on system to it.

I'm not that fussed about getting the maximum power, torque out of the bike, just as long as its not less than stock.

Also, does anyone have an IXIL exhaust on they're MT/FZ09?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah I was curious about this also ... I want to buy the akra exhaust but I won't be flashing my ecu until the end of the riding season.. I just want to make sure I won't lean out!

·
Registered
105 Posts
NEED? Probably not. But your bike will never be running right. Of course with a full exhaust and no DBK there may be more noticeable ill effects. Anytime you make intake and exhaust alterations, you really should be thinking about fueling alterations as well. That being said, your bike will not instantly blow up if you add a new slip on...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lol well ill be patient and wait im just worried that ill send my ecu out to stoltec and it gets lost in shipping and I lose riding time

·
Registered
342 Posts
I contacted akrapovic and they said the pipe is designed on the bike to make optimal power with stock tune/ filter and it will not damage the engine.....Every engine is different and you can tune a lawnmower to run better but damn im not touching mine it fast and responsive enough....I am one of the few who love the engine braking and touchy throttle....I am definitely going with a akra....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am definitely no expert in this field but i dont think the ECU flash has anything to do with the new exhaust. The ECU flash is simply to smooth out the throttle, making it less jerky. The item you need if adding an exhaust or changing air filters is something like a power commander which actually controls the air/fuel mixture which determines if the bike is running lean, rich or just right. In order to get it just right you typically have to run your bike on a dyno. Some people have created certain maps for certain combinations of exhausts, air filters and other items that affect this but that map may only be ideal for the bike it was tested on. Your bike could still use some tweaking to get max output.

So basically if you buy an aftermarket exhaust or new air intake like k&n filters, the ecu flash is not required but something like a power commander is highly recommended.

If i am incorrect feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The ECU flash has two parts, one deals with the throttle maps to smooth it out, the other deals with the fuel maps, which definitely has everything to do with your intake/exhaust.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am definitely no expert in this field but i dont think the ECU flash has anything to do with the new exhaust. The ECU flash is simply to smooth out the throttle, making it less jerky. The item you need if adding an exhaust or changing air filters is something like a power commander which actually controls the air/fuel mixture which determines if the bike is running lean, rich or just right. In order to get it just right you typically have to run your bike on a dyno. Some people have created certain maps for certain combinations of exhausts, air filters and other items that affect this but that map may only be ideal for the bike it was tested on. Your bike could still use some tweaking to get max output.

So basically if you buy an aftermarket exhaust or new air intake like k&n filters, the ecu flash is not required but something like a power commander is highly recommended.

If i am incorrect feel free to correct me.
You can get ECU flashes that are mod specific i.e. they can include fuel maps for exhaust mods if you want. These work just as well as a PC (if they are dyno tuned while they are flashed), however most flashing of the mt09 ECU's means sending it off and then they install the maps while they flash so you are getting fairly generic maps - this wouldnt be as good as a PCV dyno tune but It would be really hard to tell doing street riding anyway.

Do you need ECU reflash for aftermarket exhausts
I keep hearing about getting new exhausts and then having their bike dyno'd or ecu reflashed.
Does this NEED to be done, or will the bike run poorly if I just stick a full or slip-on system to it.

I'm not that fussed about getting the maximum power, torque out of the bike, just as long as its not less than stock.

Also, does anyone have an IXIL exhaust on they're MT/FZ09?

A PC (or other fuel controller) that has been tuned/mapped for an exhaust or a ECU tune is nearly always recommended by exhaust suppliers but its not a necessity. Forgetting the obvious power you'd be missing out on, most aftermarket full systems are straight through so you are going to get a truck load of popping as most if not all stock bikes run lean for emissions requirements and you just make it worse by adding a full system as airflow is increased due to less resistance.

If your going a slip on option then a fuel controller or flash isnt really required as you arent getting increased airflow so you are just getting looks and a loud exhaust.

I ran my S1R on this bike without a fuel controller for a while and it was ok but it had power inconsistencies and popped like crazy which made the torque and power curve all over the shop - I dont like the feeling my bike isnt 'just right' so I wouldnt do it for a long time. That being said many people dont run ECU flashes or fuel controllers and they feel their bike is ok - maybe im just being picky.

Id say it does more harm then good getting a full system without proper tuning (plus its expensive getting a full system but we are pretty limited for slipon options!) - if you just want looks and noise then maybe just get a slip on?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why does a noise have to be so expensive haha

thanks for all the information! clears things up a lot.

looks like i'll be saving up and waiting for more options for a full system and PC.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Hey Schultzy, nice to see you here. Lot of good people on this site. By the way I will need you controller settings to update my list for the TB exhaust. I forgot about that...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Schultzy, nice to see you here. Lot of good people on this site. By the way I will need you controller settings to update my list for the TB exhaust. I forgot about that...
I'm running G6.5, Y5 and the rest is the same as what you had I think - will check later and get back to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Lol well ill be patient and wait im just worried that ill send my ecu out to stoltec and it gets lost in shipping and I lose riding time
Wise man. A week after posting mine off it's still en route somewhere. Just crossing my fingers it gets there before Friday when nick goes away for 10 days..

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Generally speaking slip-ons don't require anything while full systems require having the fuel map completely redone (installing a Bazzazz or a Power Commander does this), or, if it's a carbureted bike, having the carbs jetted. Failing to do so can affect long term reliability. If all you want is a different sound and look, then slip-ons are the ideal way to go.

The ECU reflash alters both the fuel map and the throttle map, as opposed to a Power Commander or Bazzazz which only alters the fuel map.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Does the flash remove the 131 mph speed limiter? I don't need a lecture, just am curious.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed my akra exhaust last week with no tuning adjustments and it runs great. Am I going to run into any problems if I remove the DBkiller on my stock bike?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I contacted akrapovic and they said the pipe is designed on the bike to make optimal power with stock tune/ filter and it will not damage the engine.....Every engine is different and you can tune a lawnmower to run better but damn im not touching mine it fast and responsive enough....I am one of the few who love the engine braking and touchy throttle....I am definitely going with a akra....
I have the Akrapovic and their statement is most likely when the DB killer is installed you don't need a tuner. Take the DB killer out and it flows 1000 times more air. And they make it obvious they don't want the DB killer removed by welding the head of the bolt holding it into the housing of the muffler. I'm not a fan of ECU flashes because you're locked in to one map. Environments change all the time when you're riding, so why have one map for all conditions? The other features you can get I can see being beneficial though. A PC you have endless tuning options without having to ship your ECU back each time you do something that might upset the tune they flashed.

Reactions: schultzy

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I would think it would always be better if the ecu was reprogrammed even for a slip on because im assuming that replacing that stock muffler will reduce back pressure... but thats just my opinion... even if it didn't hurt the motor... maybe get you an extra .005 hp? :p

1 - 20 of 45 Posts