Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not keep any sort of insurance on my bike. I never have on any of my bikes but that total is only three. In the state of Florida you are not required to carry any form of insurance on motorcycles. This is the first bike I have owned that is worth more than $3000 so its the only one I have considered having insurance. Unfortunately I am 21 years old. A one year policy for the highest deductibles and pretty bare minimum coverage ran for $6600. Yes. Six thousand-six hundred dollars. That is unreal. Thats the same insurance company (Geico) who I insure my truck through for $800 a year. I've had one speeding ticket, in my truck and no accidents. I ran a quote with esurance for the heck of it and they wanted $5000 a year. Do you guys experience a similar problem?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in Texas and I'm 33 yrs old and pay $367 a year for the minimum amount of full coverage that a lien holder requires. I use Dairyland insurance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Holy s%#t batman. $6600 a year for insurance. That's highway robbery!! You could almost buy another FZ for that amount. I pay about $480 a year for full coverage through State Farm and I think that's still to high.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It may not be required, but I would think you'd want it anyway if you can find it at a manageable price. It would be a lot of out of pocket expense and/or a total loss for you if it gets stolen or wrecked beyond your ability to cover the repairs. Call around and try to find something you find financially feasible, the piece of mind is worth it IMO. Plus, Florida is well known to have some of, if not the worst drivers in the nation. I would personally NEVER not insure a brand new $8000 bike, required or not. What kind of retarded vehicle code does Florida have, anyway that doesn't require a street legal motor vehicle to not carry even basic liability? Scary...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Its mandatory where I live so, yes. Regardless, even if I didn't have to I still would for peace of mind... only costs me $350/yr for full coverage

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am using Dairyland -- it is way cheaper when you have a multi-bike discount with them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's mandatory here, I pay $1,000 a year for basic insurance, that's with maximum discount levels would be more if I was a new driver/rider or had accidents. I can cancel it if not riding in the winter and save some money. That $1,000 doesn't include collision, theft or fire just lets you ride on the road. I pay another $36X for those additional coverages through private insurance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I do not keep any sort of insurance on my bike. I never have on any of my bikes but that total is only three. In the state of Florida you are not required to carry any form of insurance on motorcycles. This is the first bike I have owned that is worth more than $3000 so its the only one I have considered having insurance. Unfortunately I am 21 years old. A one year policy for the highest deductibles and pretty bare minimum coverage ran for $6600. Yes. Six thousand-six hundred dollars. That is unreal. Thats the same insurance company (Geico) who I insure my truck through for $800 a year. I've had one speeding ticket, in my truck and no accidents. I ran a quote with esurance for the heck of it and they wanted $5000 a year. Do you guys experience a similar problem?
$6600 ! ? That is straight out crazy !! In NJ you have to have insurance and I was able to get decent quote with Rider. If I had to pay that kind of money I would not buy this bike.
My SV 650 liability only cost me $76 a year :)
Btw is Florida like the only state where you don't have to have coverage ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's required here to.. Thank God!! Uninsured motorist are the only thing scarier than a cager eating a big Mac while texting...

On topic.. GEICO and progressive both quoted me astronomical rates. In the 4k + range.. I have all my autos insured thru state farm and they cover my bike for 600 a year. The difference I found is that state farm covers accidents, not stupidity.. They won't accept a claim if I go down by myself... The 2 previously mentioned do cover those types of incidents if I understood it all correctly.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm running with the required liability along with fire and theft on $500 deductible for about $450 a year. I don't get coverage for upset/collision unless I have to (if there's a lien against the vehicle). It also serves to remind me that I have to pay for any damage I do to the bike... a good incentive for staying within (my own) limits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine is ~$360 for full coverage with Progressive. The majority of my premium is collision coverage. I'm not preaching but I think I'd want at least liability insurance. Like someone else said, $6600 is almost a new FZ-09 but you can do that much damage to a vehicle or person. If it's your fault you have to worry about getting sued so liability insurance makes sense if the cost is reasonable.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts