Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of mostly riding and ripping on dirtbikes, big bored thumpers of fury with plastic tanks, I'm sitting here wondering if I should wax my Beautiful Orange tank?

And, what about those 3-M poly shields that you can apply to protect your tank from scratches and gas? Can you wax before putting them on? And when you do, will magnetic tank bags still stick to the tank and stay on place?

I feel like a noob. :confused::confusion::dontknow::sorrow:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
wax the tank....is that like spank the monkey??

sorry, I don't know what is wrong with me...thats the 1st thought that came to mind

·
Registered
149 Posts
waxing the tank,,
you mean:

Polishing the ol' shillelagh

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I use Meguirs quick detailer every time I put the bike back in the garage.

Reactions: knobbyaddiction

·
Registered
123 Posts
Lemon Pledge.... no laughing....

·
Registered
24 Posts
After an initial seasonal waxing I use Pledge wipes after wiping clean with a cloth. They are fast, easy, and leave a smooth glossy shine.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Due to the cold , I am also using a quick detailer spray called Speed Shine from Griot's. Amazon.com: Griot's Garage 11146 Speed Shine - 35 oz.: Automotive

Once it warms up out, I will use a polymer wax for a strong long lasting finish. Do not get any of that stuff on the plastic parts however, they can stain white.

Have also been considering a clear film, which also works great for headlights.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
After years of mostly riding and ripping on dirtbikes, big bored thumpers of fury with plastic tanks, I'm sitting here wondering if I should wax my Beautiful Orange tank?
To wax or not to wax....is just like wiping your ass. If you like your ass clean and shiney and looking pretty new...then by all means...wax it. However if you like your ass dirty and smelly and covered in shit....then don't.

Reactions: jmcghee41

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wax our tanks? Well If I can't get the wife to do it, I go out and put Zymol on... Why?... It has coconut oil in it and smells like suntan lotion. I don't care that it didn't come in tops in the polls, it just smells great... and you can almost see it on a white car. (memo to self - don't buy a white car again)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I use Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish, fantastic stuff. To put the 3M clear film on, I would wash the area first with liquid dishwashing detergent to get the surface clean, then apply the film as directed. After that you can spray on the OBS polish or something similar to protect the tank.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've started using Lucas Speed Wax in the past year or so... works great on paint and even windscreens.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Use original polish, it's really good stuff. Pledge works also as does the qwik detailer from meguires. I plan to get the tank shields.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use Pledge too.

Yesterday I have put a 3 piece transparent film on the tank.
First degrease the tank. Spray water with a little bit of dishwash product and put the film on.
Remove the air bubbles with a squigee and wait untill all the water is evaporated.
Magnetic tankbag is no problem.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use polish on most of my stuff since it is always clean, love the way Liquid Glass makes it look compared to waxing over the top of it.

Actually nice having a bike where only the tank needs to be be done, I use 1Z Einszett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant on all the matte plastic - gives it a nice look without attracting dirt.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yes. Well, Glare polish, and then a pre-cut 3M clear film kit from The Tank Slapper to keep that mirror shine! Ive had 3M film on all of my bikes over the years, best investment ever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts