Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't have what I would call regrets, and I do love the bike. It's a blast to ride and makes urban commuting fun (which was what I really wanted in a bike as a #1 priority). But at the same time, every now and then I get a nagging "What If" question in the back of my head. Back when I was initially shopping around, I was comparing 4 bikes: The FZ-09, The Triumph S3R, the KTM 690 Duke, and a leftover '12 Honda CB1000R that the dealer selling the KTM still had in stock and was selling well below sticker due to it being a leftover model that was almost 2 years old.

I wrote off the Triumph immediately based on the fact that their dealer network was too sparse and getting it serviced would be problematic, plus questionable reliability. However, the only thing that kept me from looking more deeply into the other two was the fact that the Powersports dealership that had them in stock treated me with absolutely horrible customer service, nothing about the bikes themselves. So, I ended up going for the FZ-09 because out of all of the bikes I was considering, the FZ was the only one being sold by a relatively local dealership that was treating me well.

Like I said, I don't regret it getting the FZ. I plan on keeping it and continuing to mod it. The fun you can get by simply twisting the throttle in A or STD mode is a real blast, and now that I have the 8983 on there, it's even better. And European bikes in general don't have the reliability to be used for day to day commuting like I do. But still, every now and then, I look at the KTM specifically and go "What if it would have been you, instead?"

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wish I had gotten the KTM 1290 Superduke R.. but then I would be out $17k instead of $10k.. Ill get it for my next bike in a few years :D

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
4 Posts
Regrets? No... I bought a 2013 Harley Sportster 72 last year to be my 2nd bike with the purpose of short in-state trips, and an every day commuter. After a year of trying I could not make it work for me. As it was paid off I was looking for something around its trade in value. I found the Ninja 650 and the FZ-09. I lucked into a Yahama demo day at my dealer as I had just gone up there to look at these two bikes in person, and so I got to ride the FZ-09 that day as well. The ride sold me, and I took home my red FZ-09 the following Saturday.

The FZ-09 for commuting is beyond perfect, and I just did a smaller trip (~300 miles) this past Sunday and other than the seat, the bike was perfect for it. I got a nice tail bag/saddlebag setup from Cortech coming so I can better turn it into a sport-tourer, and already have a wind screen attached. The bike, for the purpose I needed for my second bike, is pretty much perfect.

My only gripe, if there are any to be had, is that this bike is so much fun. About 3 weeks prior to picking the bike up on the 31st, on May 10th, I traded in my 2010 Triumph Daytona for a 2014 Ducati 899 Panigale for my play time bike... Since picking up the FZ-09, the 899 has been out of the garage all of one time, and only has 1k miles on the clock. I've already surpassed that on the FZ-09 in the past two weeks lol. So ok, yeah, I guess there is some regret on this purchase... but it's a good regret, yes? :)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
this is the first bike I've truly "modded" - it's been a great learning experience and it's flaws have been easily remedied in a fun way (by learning to mod) vs. being a pain of buying something that wasn't good to go stock.

·
Registered
835 Posts
No ragrets

·
Registered
616 Posts
Prior to purchasing the FZ 09 in December, I'd read all the reviews that were available. I figured that there would be some mods that would have to be performed, and others that would be done over time. The fork springs, oil and brake lines were done up front, and a ZX10 shock was swapped out at the rear. A small windshield, rack and top box were added as well. It has been great for my 100 mile commute; light weight, nimble and reasonably comfortable. I wasn't sure at first, so I kept my other bike, an R1100GS. My friend's bike grenade its' engine, and I reluctantly sold him the GS. I honestly haven't looked back. With a little over 5k travelled so far, I'd say I'm happy with the bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't really have any regrets... However I probably should have gotten a Super Moto or Enduro. I want to ride trails, but I travel a fair amount on the highway. I basically test rode the FZ-09 and bought it right after the test ride. Unfortunately I also have a little speed in my heart, and it's hard to get an Enduro that is highway capable, fast and great on the trails (without breaking the bank)

I guess you really do need more than one bike ;)

·
Registered
877 Posts
this is the first bike I've truly "modded" - it's been a great learning experience and it's flaws have been easily remedied in a fun way (by learning to mod) vs. being a pain of buying something that wasn't good to go stock.
+ 2 on all that and an FZ 07 may be getting molested in The Skunk Werkz in the near future. :cool:

I haven't changed a new bike this much since the Suzuki Hayabusa in 1999, which gradually became a dedicated drag bike.

Reactions: beck and Niner

·
Registered
107 Posts
No regrets, that's my motto. That, and everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Seriously, I love my FZ.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same here. The FZ is my third bike, and is the only bike I've owned yet that I felt was worth the time, effort, and money to modify/customize. That alone says I don't really have "regrets." So I wouldn't quite call what I feel a regret, more just a "What if?" scenario that keeps playing out in my head.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i wish there was a faired version - i like the naked look but would be great for something to push more wind out of the way at higher speeds.

I also under estimated the amount of logic and negotiation power needed to convince my wife that all of these aftermarket parts are a good idea. My excuse Rolodex is running thin!

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i wish there was a faired version - i like the naked look but would be great for something to push more wind out of the way at higher speeds.

I also under estimated the amount of logic and negotiation power needed to convince my wife that all of these aftermarket parts are a good idea. My excuse Rolodex is running thin!
Aaaaand here's where I go off on my rant about my theories....

Yamaha has said on numerous occasions that they have plans to use the FZ-09 as a base platform for other types of bikes as well...

The R6 hasn't been redesigned or updated since 2008. That's like 3 lifetimes for a supersport bike. Public interest in the 600 class is dying both on the sales floor and in racing. In racing it's all about SBK and MotoGP now, and manufacturers have gotten lax in updating their supersports. The Kawi ZX-6R is no longer racing and has been redesigned for street use primarily. 600s don't represent the value they used to because of how the value of the dollar has dropped in comparison to the Japanese yen. The 600 class as a whole look like it's going the way the 750 class once did. Where am I going with this?

I think Yamaha may end up pulling the plug on the R6 and replacing it with an FZ-09 based "supersport" that is much more value conscious. Looking at a sub-10k price tag, more aggressive ergonomics, a retuned engine for just a little bit more top end, better suspension (R6 grade stuff) and a full fairing. Given the current state of the market I think it's only logical...

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
No regreFz.
Bike is a privilege to ride.
Can't believe I've only owned it 3 weeks... it's grown on me just as fast as it rides.
Not the least disappointed in the purchase (and my wife is in total agreement!).
PS
Bike does something for my image... wife didn't know I was so cool! ;)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My only issue with the bike is the 131 mph limit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My only regret is not buying it sooner.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is going to be unpopular, but I got rid of my FZ09 2 weeks ago and went back to a super sport. I have absolutely no regrets about this decision.

The bike wasn't for me for a number of reasons, which slowly dawned on me over 10 months and 6000km I put on it. Glad to have had a chance to toy around with it, but I wasn't sad to see it go.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
This is going to be unpopular, but I got rid of my FZ09 2 weeks ago and went back to a super sport. I have absolutely no regrets about this decision.

The bike wasn't for me for a number of reasons, which slowly dawned on me over 10 months and 6000km I put on it. Glad to have had a chance to toy around with it, but I wasn't sad to see it go.
I can sort of (kind of?) understand, I guess. Although I was the opposite. I came from a supersport. I had a Kawi ZX-6R prior to the FZ which I sold after owning it for one season and even doing a track day. On the track it was amazing, but riding it on public roads was a chore. Absolutely nothing fun about it to me, the way you had to rev the engine sky high to make any sort of usable power whatsoever just complicated riding, especially in twisties through heavily wooded areas. The bike just sacrificed too much of everything--comfort, user-friendliness, day-to-day practicality, and more just to achieve a level of performance that you could only make use of on a racetrack.

Too many things had to be "just right" for the bike to be able to come into its own. The road condition had to be flawless. The weather had to be good. I had to know the layout of the road curve for curve in order to be able to corner with confidence because I had to know the right gear to be in to be able to keep the RPMs in the powerband to navigate the blind twisties. Being able to ride it in a sporting manner just depended way too heavily on a number of conditions to be "just right" that seldom ever happened.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts