Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stepped up and bought a new pr of AlpineStar riding shoes ($159) & tossed my Wal Mart issued
steel-toed ($29) Work Boots. I always wear gloves, my mesh jacket, and FF Helmet.

Do you care, or Dare, to dress just for The Ride.....???

·
Registered
883 Posts
Dressing for the wreck is dressing for the ride when done right. Fitted riding jacket or suit and proper riding boots make more aggressive riding positions feel much more natural, which improves body position in corners, making proper gear not only a safety precaution but also a performance upgrade.
I was writing a reply, but I like yours better.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I always wear my jacket, gloves, helmet, and jeans. The shoes I wear aren't very protective and I know that so I've been shopping around.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
418 Posts
I ALWAYS dress for the crash. Racing ATV's put me into that mindset. I see soooooooo many squids out there thinking they're cool in a tank top, khaki shorts, hat on backwards, sunglasses, and flip flops. And then find out they went down trying to be someone they are not. My life and my skin is worth every single drop of sweat for a chance to survive God forbid a crash.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always ride with my jacket, gloves, ff helmet, boots and jeans. They aren't motorcycle boots though, I also need to get a set of those.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I dress for the crash and try to remember it still might not be enough. You hit an immoveable object... Its game over!

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
On the road, I am always in my leather pants, knox ballistic upper body armor with quality textile jacket, sidi boots, heavy roadrace gloves and full face helmet.
Sometimes when in town I skip the knox armor. When riding off-pavement, I'm covered head to toe, as well.

As an aside, I have a close friend that runs on the dark side with an affiliate gang of hd riders and last week he made a donation for a poker run, but decided
not to run with them. Instead, he hung around waiting for the rest of his crew to return. I had warned him about riding in parade formation with strangers and wouldn't you
know it...a rider checked up and precipitated a chain reaction crash. He recounted that five came back missing the top layer of epidermis from their
arms, palms and backs, as well as various sprains and lacerations. One had what could have been a fractured orbital socket and broken nose. Of course they were wearing sleeveless jackets, wife-beater t- shirts, novelty helmets
and some without gloves. Lucky that they weren't hurt worse, but the recovery will take weeks and the danger of infection cannot be ignored. He said they man'ed up
and tried to put on brave faces, but they were obviously in a great deal of discomfort as they prattled on about how chicks dig scars. It's all about personal choice and
I'm paranoid.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I see a lot of people posting about wearing jeans. Jeans offer no protection other than to help you not get burnt. KEVLAR reinforced jeans however, offer a lot more protection.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I see soooooooo many squids out there thinking they're cool in a tank top, khaki shorts, hat on backwards, sunglasses, and flip flops. And then find out hey went down trying to be someone they are not.
I ride in my gear, but did it ever occur to you that not every single person riding in shorts and a tank top is trying to impress people?

It's entirely possible they are just riding that way because they want to.

Worry about yourself, and let people do what they want. I am so sick of the self-righteous ATGATT horseshit I see on motorcycle related sites.

Climb off of your high-horses and on to your motorcycles.

:rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ride in my gear, but did it ever occur to you that not every single person riding in shorts and a tank top is trying to impress people?

Worry about yourself, and let people do what they want. I am so sick of the self-righteous ATGATT horseshit I see on motorcycle related sites.

Everyone simply voicing Their Opinion in an environment of equanimity.

Does it bother you seeing many have expressed concern for their fellow man because you don't share a similar concern....??

Don't let it bother you; Everyone's opinions are seen in the same light -- even yours.

·
Registered
117 Posts

I am able to say that ATGATT is why I am still alive and not scarred for life. When I was learning how to ride in western NC I spent a lot of time on the ground finding out where my 22/yo limits were. Since I had the gear I am still here to talk about it. There is no price on saving your skin or giving yourself the best chance for WHEN IT HAPPENS not IF IT HAPPENS. I know the pain of wrecking broken bones, road rash, torn ligaments, ect... and every time I see someone riding without gear I wish I could give them the benefit of my pain, lost time at work, and everything else that goes with laying down your bike at speed. I wish that ALL states had strict helmet AND safety gear laws. I understand freedom of choice and your level of comfort come into effect, but if there were safety gear requirements the number of injury and fatalities on motorcycles would drop significantly. IMO.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts