Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

For those of you that commute to work on you bike, do you cover it up at work? I live in Albuquerque so it rarely rains, but I worry about the hot sun beating down on my baby for 9 hours a day. I think it would be ridiculous to cover her but what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Seriously? This site has a 5 letter minimum post size? I never knew. Carry on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey guys,

For those of you that commute to work on you bike, do you cover it up at work? I live in Albuquerque so it rarely rains, but I worry about the hot sun beating down on my baby for 9 hours a day. I think it would be ridiculous to cover her but what are your thoughts?
I've done it a few times when it was pissing rain, but for for the most part no.
No space to store the cover at work and I'm not lugging the darn thing around with me.

I have seen half covers for sun that might be more "portable" but I have yet to try them.
Yamaha sells this half cover that might do the job you're looking for... you could always store the 1/2 cover at work? (if they let you)
14B-F81A0-J0-00.jpg

Here is a sun specific half cover.. called the Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 Half Cover, found it on motorcycle superstore...
2005_Nelson-Rigg_UV-2000_Cover.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I try and make sure my bike is in a shaded spot.. If it looks like it is going to rain I just pull the bike onto a walkway in a quiet corner.

I could see if you were in a high theft area and only could park out in the open where that may help for security or rain protection. I also park so I can see my bike from my desk so I can keep an eye on it from time to time

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't cover mine, but I do spray rain-x for plastics on my carbon akra muffer and hanger weekly to prevent yellowing from UV damage.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am lucky enough to be able to park in a massive underground parking structure - so I do not. But if I did park it outside, I would cover it. Like FZ09R said - the Nevada sun would not be kind to my bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If there's any kind of wind those covers can scratch up the bike, or act like a kite and blow it over. I know from experience.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey guys,

When I had my KLR I commuted regularly. I'm in the Sacramento area and our summers are pretty hot, too. Funny thing is it creeps up on you, in terms of the plastic fading. After a couple of summers you are going to look at your bike and realize that the plastic is toast. Then it's too late to do anything.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't but I probably should, nothing to do with the weather there is a sawdust mill across the street and at the end of the day my bike has a coating of dust which annoys the hell out of me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yep - Today's 20mph wind, rain, AL sun.....No probs......I gotta great boss huh?

motorcycle tent.jpg

Reactions: FZ09R

·
Registered
192 Posts
Neh. In the end it's a machine for transportation...an appliance. Don't get me wrong, I care for it. But when she is worn out, i'll replace her like everything else. Plus...this bike will never be worth anything. It's not a collectors item, nor a hyper bike. Kinda a budget bike that is awesome. It's like trying to preserve a Honda Accord.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I ride mine everyday, Sydney's not a desert but summers are hot. I just wax the tank, and use a Matt finish armour all/UV protectant on the plastics.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts