Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Wow.....Marquez could barrel roll that bike and the bag mounts would still be intact. Helluva job!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Nice job Paul.....you are quite the fabricator.

Oh, and in answer to your question........YES, they make your Arse look huge! :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
You now have a big arse. Congratulations on all the junk in the trunk.

Looks secure and strong.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
That is damn fine work!
I would rock that as needed in a heartbeat.

What did the total build cost you, if you don't mind sharing.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Look good and nice fit!

But you know those are rated for 22 lbs or so... LOL I did my own too on my FZ6R with 5/16" rod that I bend. I also did the top case out of 1" x 1/2" chromoly for the top case because I use to carry around my 50lbs Pelican toolbox to work on weekend job. Been there for 4 years and hasn't bend yet...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is damn fine work!
I would rock that as needed in a heartbeat.

What did the total build cost you, if you don't mind sharing.
The GIVI components:mushroom spacers and attachment clamp were NZ$ 40.00 purchased locally.They are available in the USA for US$22.00 from GIVI Hardware Components
About $40.00 worth of steel,$20.00 of stainless fasteners.And my spare time.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Look good and nice fit!

But you know those are rated for 22 lbs or so... LOL I did my own too on my FZ6R with 5/16" rod that I bend. I also did the top case out of 1" x 1/2" chromoly for the top case because I use to carry around my 50lbs Pelican toolbox to work on weekend job. Been there for 4 years and hasn't bend yet...
This one is done in 16mm x 1.6mm EWS tube , 32mm x 16mm EWS rectangular section and flat bar.All mild steel.
Weight is 4 kg.I found that I never need to put more than 10 kg of stuff in each bag when I'm travelling and that includes a 12v compressor and a security chain.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Those mounts look as substantial or more so than the GiVi's I have on the Tenere.
Load them cases however you like! They aren't going anywhere.

GREAT JOB!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You Kiwis are ingenious..so, obviously carrying a passenger is out of the question....or is it?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
What mounting points did you use. Passenger pegs are obvious, but less so beyond that. Well done.
The MT-09/FZ-09 has 4 dedicated luggage mounting points that take M8 screws.You have to remove the plastic covers and drill holes for access.The plastic covers have drilling centres marked on the inside surfaces.The 4 hole centres are 130mm front to rear and 200mm side to side and it is a true rectangle.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You Kiwis are ingenious..so, obviously carrying a passenger is out of the question....or is it?
Yes, the way I positioned these bags makes them too far forward to use the passenger pegs.You could mount them further towards the rear but you might have to reduce the load in the bags.
I suspect that the new FJ-09 uses the same subframe as the FZ-09 and has alloy extensions for luggage that mount on the same M8 mount points.The mount points are very well attached to the subframe.Being a channel welded over 150mm on each edge.
The rear rack that Yamaha sell also attaches to these mounts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts