Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
3 times a year with oil, or 1 time a year with 100% Synthetic Motorcycle oil. Remember a penny of prevention is worth a pound in cure. Oil is the best thing for a bike or any engin to last longer & be stronger, you do not care for your bike ,then your bike will not care if it brakes down at the worst time for you, I would spend 15 bucks & always check oil if it's black change .

I still wonder why the recommended oil change interval varies so much from North America to Europe? Is it only because of stricter regulations in Europe to reduce oil consumption? or because they have better oil? lol.

Canada
Text Line Font Parallel

US
Text Font Line Parallel Design

UK
Text Font Line Parallel Number

p.s. - oil changes is the cheapest preventative maintenance you can do on any motor vehicle.

i just change mine every yr. Three reasons.

1.\ It doesn't cost a lot, and we all love wrenching right !

2.\ If i ever break my rule of 'we don't sell bikes, only add em, in my garage' and do sell the FZ09, i'm sure the next owner will appreciate the fact that its been properly maintained by the manufacturers recommend annual oil change. All of which is logged & recorded, to back up that its been done.

3.\ if i ever have an issue with the engine, i may stand a chance with Yamaha, once i produce the evidence that i've changed my oil and filter like clockwork every yr, regardless of mileage.

But in reality, i'm sure it would be fine to go over the recommended annual changes, if you're not doing that much mileage. Just use good quality oil.

Did my first oil change at 200 miles,cut filter and inspected...Came up clean
Used Yamaha Sport bike kit oil and filter,35 bucks does not get much easier
Next oil change will be at the 600 mile mark,I plan to switch to Synth at that time

my two cents on oil changes.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on oil changes. I change my oil every thousand miles, I know it sounds anal, and the manual says something different. Every spring for my first oil change after a long winter, I change oil and filter. I don't buy any fancy oil just castrol 10-40 for 6.99 at autozone, after that I change oil every thousand miles or so, just the oil, and I buy k&n filters cause they are easy to take on and off during frequent oil changes. Keep in mind that the same oil is running through your engine also goes through your transmission and clutch. So I think it's good insurance to buy cheap oil and change often vs expensive synthetics and change it less often.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.