Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm wondering how do I know if I need a better fork spring and suspension.?

I'm weighing ard 70kg. I have a sw motech rack and the trax Alu shld be ard 10-15kg. Due to my work, I carry backpack up to 13kg. So I guess I'm ard 98kg in total with everything on. So is the stock setup enough for me.? Do I need a ohlin or Penske fork spring upgrade.? Hope any adv riders here can advise me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
98kg is around 215 pounds, the stock 09 springs are about right for 170 pounds, and there are damping issues. Yes you could use stiffer fork springs and thicker fork oil, how much you upgrade also depends on your road conditions, pace, and willingness to spend money.

What country are you located in? That can make a difference what suspension parts and services are easily available to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
98kg is around 215 pounds, the stock 09 springs are about right for 170 pounds, and there are damping issues. Yes you could use stiffer fork springs and thicker fork oil, how much you upgrade also depends on your road conditions, pace, and willingness to spend money.

What country are you located in? That can make a difference what suspension parts and services are easily available to you.
I'm from Singapore. its just a city ride and road condition is quite ok i guess.. just alot of humps installed as they want to all the vehicles to slow down on the road and not speed. i dont think i'll want to spend too much on this bike as its more like a daily transport than track bike.

I'm consider maybe ohlin or penske fork spring and ohlin basis rear shock or the penske single adjustment model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am about to put down a deposit on a FZ09 but I'm worried about my weight 245lbs. And the suspension. I won't have $$$ to upgrade it right away. Will it be ok meanwhile or is it going to be bottoming out and bouncing around excessively?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am about to put down a deposit on a FZ09 but I'm worried about my weight 245lbs. And the suspension. I won't have $$$ to upgrade it right away. Will it be ok meanwhile or is it going to be bottoming out and bouncing around excessively?

You will mostly be wheelying all the time hehe Sol-tec have cheap solutions that will cost you under 200$ to upgrade the rear shock coil and fork springs. I'd start with that for sure, as the stock was way too soft even for my 190lbs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I weigh 230 without gear and I'm still riding with the stock suspension. I'll upgrade at some point but it hasn't taken any of the enjoyment of this bike for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I had a roadstar warrior that I wheelied once riding two up (by accident). I used to ride long wheelies on my bmx but the thought scares me now haha.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If the warrior wheelied, hang on to the handlebars on the FZ-09, seriously I've owned or tried over 50 bikes from 25hp to 185hp. Never have I seen a bike wheelie so easily and part of the reason is the weight of the bike and softness of the suspensions. The front stretches, the rear compresses, then the wheel levitates naturally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well maybe I should go in a different direction. I totaled my warrior and got run over by a mini van but my super aggressive riding was to blame. I should prob get a 50cc scooter to save me from myself!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Its a great bike, with superb handling (it's like a bicycle) but just invest 200$ in upgradings the front and rear springs. You'll love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What exactly are the two upgrades for $200? I looked at the website and didn't see anything that affordable. Also, are they upgrades that the majority are doing themselves? I did a big air kit, pc3, pipe ect to the warrior I have a little mechanical ability. Once again thanks everyone for your input

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For improving the rear the low dollar way is a shock from some models of Kawasaki, there are threads about it here. Around $100, but to get the most from that have it rebuilt with spring and valving for your needs, that's another $300ish.

·
Registered
277 Posts
But then again you don't NEED to do anything, if you don't want to or have the funds to immediately. It's not like you can't ride and enjoy the bike with all stock components, it'll just be that much better if you upgrade.

·
Registered
38 Posts
FZ pic.jpg

I'm on the lighter side (180lbs in gear), but this was me this weekend on stock suspension. That being said, I too would like to upgrade mine when I get some extra funds, but for now I just ride the piss out of it stock!

·
Registered
65 Posts
One of my riding friends is about 230lbs. He rides my bike exactly like he stole it. He's a great rider and the stock suspension doesn't seem to hold him back much. He said it's too soft for him but it certainly doesn't keep him from scaring the crap out of me as I chase him through the twisties.

I'm about 180lbs and it feels too soft for me too but I only have concerns when taking turns on bumpy roads. I'm upgrading the suspension now but my point is that it's certainly not unridable in stock form.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts