Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why exactly is it there ? Other aftermarket exhausts follow the lines of the bike..

Is it a performance thing? looks out of place

ty

·
Registered
555 Posts
It does look out of place I agree. I believe it is to keep that little bit of extra length in the runners for torque characteristics. Same principle as why the stock headers wind and snake......to add overall required/desired length.

But have to agree it looks very odd.

There are a couple of other manufacturers where the headers stick out like the Akra also.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does look out of place I agree. I believe it is to keep that little bit of extra length in the runners for torque characteristics. Same principle as why the stock headers wind and snake......to add overall required/desired length.

But have to agree it looks very odd.

There are a couple of other manufacturers where the headers stick out like the Akra also.
does it mean it gives more torque than an arrow full system that doesnt snake much or stick out?

·
Registered
555 Posts
does it mean it gives more torque than an arrow full system that doesnt snake much or stick out?
I think they are all very similar in terms of power gains. Some manufacturers will go all out to get the best gains and others will mix in a bit of form/aesthetics at the expense of some gains. The carbon fibre Akra is a good example of this where they have gone a nice CF muffler, but have added a 360 degree loop to lengthen the runners for torque characteristics at the expense of some visual aesthetics. But IMO you will only really ever notice this difference on paper via dyno readouts, you would be hard pressed to tell if one performs any better than the other just by riding alone. The sound and looks of the system will most likely be your deciding factor. At least it is for me. Any power gains that I will experience to me is simply a bonus as I am not racing the bike, and the bike has well more than enough power for everyday road use. As long as it doesn't bring any power losses........that would be pretty poor.

All in all, I would rather have an exhaust twice over that suits and looks good on the bike with a little less power gain than other pipes, than seeing a exhaust on my bike that I dont totally enjoy. Even if it gives me double the gain. I will go a perrrty looking exhaust over an uglier, better performing one any day of the week.

If I were going to go any of those two exhausts, my personal decision would be the Arrow over the Akrapovic for the way the headers tuck in nicely alone. The Akra headers look odd, and in person how far they stick out is quite noticeable side by side next to a stock one. I am still thinking seriously about the M4 or the Competition Werkes for the basis of keeping the stock headers. The stock headers look nice, and have been engineered to bring on strong torque characteristics down low compared to aftermarket race systems that focus on more top end gains as they are exactly that......race systems and most race bikes dont see lower rpms very often. And from the testing that has been done via Nick @ Stoltec and Nels @ 2 Wheel DynoWorks the stock header performs extremely well with a good tune. I was very surprised at the gains that were got with the stock exhaust system.

The Arrow headers can be bought as a standalone item, and am currently exploring this option also. A midpipe and mounting brackets/points might have to be fabricated at home personally, but adds a bit more customisation to it and allows you to choose a different muffler if you arent keen on the header and muffler package as a whole. Say the Arrow headers, and the Yoshi R77 can would be a good combo.

I checked this out the other day at Yamaha when I parked my bike up smack bang next to a brand newie with the Ti Akrapovic on. This was the system I was positive I was going to get. Got down at ground level and checked out the difference in how far they stick out. And for me, that was the deal breaker. It was just so much more than the stock headers. By itself, it would look ok and I wouldn't have noticed. But next to a stock bike with stock headers, the Akra looked half finished in the way that it doesn't tuck close to the motor and just really did not look half as good as the stock header assembly. But that's just my personal opinion.

The sound however that came from that Akrapovic.........no complaints there. Fantastic sound, very deep and very loud. Made my 09 sound like a sewing machine. I would buy the Akra on sound alone. I would not buy it on looks alone. So its a mixed bag for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts