Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Coming of a TDM 850 I was used to lots of ground clearance. I rode off the foot path on to the toad. The curb was high and the sump hit the ground. Not much of a knock and at walking pace. The sump is cracked and leaking oil. IMG_3856[1].JPG

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That sucks... the soft suspension certainly doesn't help. Umm... remember to recycle?

·
Registered
730 Posts
It would seem that those of you doing this are not being sufficiently aggressive ..... Gas her a bit harder, drop the clutch and WHEELY off the damn curb!! If you're already in motion, just twist HARD...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
At work I park on the side walk on the side of the building. And I always worry about this happening when I jump off the curb.

Reactions: Travis

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi All,

Coming of a TDM 850 I was used to lots of ground clearance. I rode off the foot path on to the toad. The curb was high and the sump hit the ground. Not much of a knock and at walking pace. The sump is cracked and leaking oil. View attachment 7037
At least you realized it was leaking before it caused an accident. In another thread somebody cracked their pan and didn't realize it until their tire was soaked in oil and they low-sided. Jumping off curbs (not in reference to you) sounds like a particularly bad idea with this bike, I would avoid parking where it would be necessary to do so.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
...or just walk the bike off the curb instead of riding it off.
Yeah, I was trying to think of way of knowing how it does with the rider's weight, in motion etc.

Sit a GoPro on the curb a few feet away to the side?

He's already ridden over the curb, so we know it will pass the walk test.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That surely sucks look at the thread I started awhile back for some low profile drain plug options and think about grinding that damn
guard fin down since it cracks the pan with very little contact and does nothing but damage the pan its meant to protect. I will post pics of my final mods which may include the sw-motech guard that Julianziggy located and mounted on his bike. unfortunately I have been loaded down with work and have little free time to ride or modify.
Rick

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have a 2014 Mazda 6. Not long ago, I did the 1st oil change and found it has a very low profile oil drain plug utilizing an allen/hex wrench. At the next FZ-09 oil change, I'm going to see if the Mazda plug will fit. It's $10USD shipped with a new washer.
drain.JPG

·
Registered
877 Posts
2015 Yamaha FZ 07

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have a 2014 mazda 6. Not long ago, i did the 1st oil change and found it has a very low profile oil drain plug utilizing an allen/hex wrench. At the next fz-09 oil change, i'm going to see if the mazda plug will fit. It's $10usd shipped with a new washer.
View attachment 7847
any luck on this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts