Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up my new FZ 09. Unfortunately the weather here in Michigan is only letting me look at the bike and dream about future upgrades. Has anyone ever compiled a list of upgrade options?

An example of where I struggle is exhaust systems. It would be nice to have a list of who makes them. It would be even better if it had links to videos, dyno results, DBA, pictures and things like that. I know it sounds crazy but in another hobby of mine they do this. The first post in the thread is constantly updated with all the new info......Anyways what other things are there out there to look at?

Fender eliminator, wind screens....what else am I missing?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
we just use the search button. Or google.

Yes, i'm feeling a bit sarcastic at the moment.

And you're missing a few things, suspension, brakes, a flash, power commander/ejk, led strip lighting underneath to prove you're awesome, sub woofers, a turbo...

·
Registered
88 Posts
just picked up my new FZ 09. Unfortunately the weather here in Michigan is only letting me look at the bike and dream about future upgrades. Has anyone ever compiled a list of upgrade options?

An example of where I struggle is exhaust systems. It would be nice to have a list of who makes them. It would be even better if it had links to videos, dyno results, DBA, pictures and things like that. I know it sounds crazy but in another hobby of mine they do this. The first post in the thread is constantly updated with all the new info......Anyways what other things are there out there to look at?

Fender eliminator, wind screens....what else am I missing?
I am in the same boat! My 2014 Blazing Orange FZ-9 will deliver to my house tomorrow afternoon and the temp is supposed to be around 4 degrees all weekend. I am also scouring the forum and the internet for upgrades! Let me know what you end doing for upgrades. I live in Troy, where are you?

Keith.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Depending on what kind of riding you plan on doing on the bike as well as your size suspension is a good upgrade for sure, I personally made sure to get a radiator guard ASAP as the way it came from the factory looked like a giant target for rocks. Some form of sliders are definitely not a bad investment. One of the great things about this bike and the popularity it has seen is that a huge amount of companies are coming out with accessories for it. As far as I know there has never been a thread that list everything, it sounds like a great idea but I can't even comprehend the work it would take.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new ride! You will find some pretty great people and info on here. :cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
One thing you may want to do is determine if you want to level out the seat (assuming your leaving the stock seat on) I think a lot of people feel like the stocker is at a little to much of an angle and can be uncomfortable, I used the rubber bumpers you put on cabinets so they dont slam, I just stuck them on with the adhesive backing, it raised the front of the seat up a little bit and really made it more comfortable and it was a super cheap fix, under $5! I know, I know, this isnt as sexy as new exhaust or a sweet triple clicker, but, its a cheap and easy mod, and if you do it in february, you dont have to do it on that first warm day in march!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well...it's 73 and sunny here. I'm picking up my FZ on Sunday. Probably will be ordering parts Sunday evening. Riding Sunday evening and Monday...and the rest of next week. Welcome to winter in California. Lol.

·
Registered
336 Posts
As mentioned earlier, what type of riding do you do, how much do you weigh as that can dictate suspension needs and lastly get on YouTube and search FZ09 Mods and you will have about 100 videos to keep you busy and its all in one place!

·
Registered
957 Posts
The very first upgrades that should generally be done in this bike are ecu flash (if it's a 2014), suspension work, and new seat if you plan on riding for more than about 45 minutes at a time. For exhaust Akropovic is generally the most popular choice around here because the carbon version gives the best raw performance benefits and the titanium one is the only aftermarket exhaust for the bike that is epa allowed if that's a concern. Very few companies make slip ons for it and it'd pretty much full systems only. Graves, Yoshimura, and Ixil (site sponsor) all make quality ones.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
They are a couple slip-on exhaust available, M4 and Scorpion, and I wouldn't be surprised if more become available. Just remember to get the proper performance out of a new exhaust will involve an ECU flash as well.

As for aftermarket part suppliers, here are a few I know of, to help get you confused.... I mean started. :p

Aftermarket Performance Parts and Accessories for Yamaha FZ-09 / MT-09 2013, 2014, 2015 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

Tag: FZ09

Akrapovi?

2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Parts & Accessories - SoloMotoParts.com

Yamaha Motorcycle Performance Parts & Accessories | Super Tenere | YZFR1 | FZ8

FZ-09

Yamaha FZ-09 Sport Bike Motorcycles - Graves Motorsports

https://www.motomummy.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=fz-09

FZ-09 '14 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

But I must say, the best is to ride it, break it in, then start thinking of upgrades after you get some saddle time in. Then you can pick and choose what you feel is needed first.

Congrats and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a 2015. Not sure I want to do exhaust right away. But when I do I want a system that's not loud but actually increases horsepower. I'm not switching just for looks and for sure not to an obnoxiously loud system.

Looks like a seat mod and a fender eliminator before spring.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
you won't regret a seat mod - lot of great options out there. Suspension is a huge one IMO - if not both front and rear - seriously consider the rear if you ride aggressively.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
you won't regret a seat mod - lot of great options out there. Suspension is a huge one IMO - if not both front and rear - seriously consider the rear if you ride aggressively.
I'm squared away with the suspension upgrades. I work for a motorcycle manufacturer, Cobra Moto. We make motocross bikes for kids. Between our in house suspension guy and my connections with major suspension companies I can get that taken care of easily. I've been in contact with a few guys that have offered to take care of me. Some had experience with the FZ 09 already and others are top of line suspension guys for MX. I'm not there yet but I'm sure factory connection, PR2 or someone on that level will end up doing the suspension work.

Now if any of you guys have kids that are 4-12 and are looking for a motocross bike let me know.

Cobra Motorcycle | Official Website

Here is what we make.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motocross Motorcycle Freestyle motocross

Sky Mountain Advertising Vehicle Racing

·
Registered
102 Posts
I picked mine up last weekend and so far have done Oxford heated grips, pro taper super low bars, Yoshi fender elim, and RAM mount.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The first thing I bought when I got my bike was an exhaust. I went with Titanium akrapovic full exhaust. If you do go with a full exhaust do get the block off plates made either by Graves or Driven. Rad guard is a must for sure. I only rode my bike without the guard and made a few dents right away. For the windscreen get something that at least covers the odometer. Lots of guy do get suspension done because either is kinda soft. I'm lucky I only weigh 110 lbs so I don't notice the suspension that much. Did you get the 2015 model?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I used stock adjustment and I think it helped the suspension enough. Of course I am not taking it to the track. Also weighing in at 160 maybe has something to do with it. For cosmetics and function I went with seat mod, windscreen, fender elim right away. After spending some time on it I have ordered some new adjustable levers. For whatever reason the lever reach/ placement seems odd to me. In the spirit of visual aids see attached pic.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts