Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repost, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Wondering what the differences are, mechanically, on the european model? I am guessing emissions? I noticed that Power Commander has specific tunes for the Euro models. I am thinking that since I used the block-off plates, maybe the euro tune is the correct one? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mine's an MT09(Australian market but very close to Euro specs)).It still has emissions gear such as exhaust air injection.It does not have an evap canister.It has an engine immobiliser and is sprayed with Yamaha's ID microdots (Yamaha DNA).You can access the Diag CO adjustment through the instrument cluster without any wiring hacks and adjust the mixture.
There is a member on the MT09 forum who has an MT in the UK and a FZ in Thailand who listed these differences.He also said the MT feels as though it has more power than the FZ. :D

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Different market use different fuels, too, which may account for the different tunes.
Our Aussie MT's don't have running lights, and we can't turn off our headlights. Not sure if it's the euro or jap ones that can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, yeah fuel. What octane do you run your bike on? In CA it's 91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I had a grey bike (Japanese) that you could turn the head light off with. But it was a 86' model.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
In Aus, ethanol blended fuels are usually 91, regular is 95, and the good stuff is 98.

About 20 or 30 years ago, the design regs changed and we had to have lights hard wired on. Big outcry, bitching and moaning by riders, and they changed the rules back, but manufacturers kept hardwiring them for the Australian market.
I'm assuming that the spare switch on the left hand switchgear is for a switch to turn the headlights on and off in some country or other.

·
Registered
962 Posts
In Aus, ethanol blended fuels are usually 91, regular is 95, and the good stuff is 98.

About 20 or 30 years ago, the design regs changed and we had to have lights hard wired on. Big outcry, bitching and moaning by riders, and they changed the rules back, but manufacturers kept hardwiring them for the Australian market.
I'm assuming that the spare switch on the left hand switchgear is for a switch to turn the headlights on and off in some country or other.

I've been wondering about that blank spot myself. It's usually the passing light switch that we get a blank for - but we got it on this one. I don't like the placement of the horn button. I've cancelled my turn signals when people get close because I mean to do a quick pop on the horn. I want to find a different Yamaha model with a left switchgear that I like better and just rewire it for the FZ. The horn button on my CRF250L is the polar opposite - it's
almost too big and easy to hit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is a member on the MT09 forum who has an MT in the UK and a FZ in Thailand who listed these differences.He also said the MT feels as though it has more power than the FZ. :D
Lucky bloke. I believe the engine would develop more power when fed with cold dry air (UK) as opposed to hot damp air (Thailand). Certainly makes a difference to performance of normally aspirated aero engines. Whether it would be that noticeable on a bike I don't know. The Speed Triple I had in the UK definitely liked brisk dry days better than hot ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts