Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has happened to me twice now. Both times have been under hard accel and starting around 50-55 mph. The first time I was about 90 and then today about 80 and the check engine light comes on and it dies. It flashes a code on the panel. Of course I totally forget the code but I think it was sd-20??? After stopping and cycling the key off for a minute or so it fires back up. But it is totally dead until then.

Yoshimura exhaust, vcyclenut flashed ecu the first time. Same thing the second time but with a kevs O2 controller added.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
this has happened to me twice now. Both times have been under hard accel and starting around 50-55 mph. The first time I was about 90 and then today about 80 and the check engine light comes on and it dies. It flashes a code on the panel. Of course I totally forget the code but I think it was sd-20??? After stopping and cycling the key off for a minute or so it fires back up. But it is totally dead until then.

Yoshimura exhaust, vcyclenut flashed ecu the first time. Same thing the second time but with a kevs O2 controller added.

Any ideas?
Look for loose battery connections. If it isn't that.. remove the 02 controller and see if it does it again.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
speak to vcycle about the possibility of bad code in the flash.
I have an O2 controller with no probs, no vcycle flash.

·
Registered
64 Posts
kinda the most important part in this is to get the code... otherwise your throwing darts in the dark into a sea of possibilities. If you have a diagnostic cable to pull the code that would be ideal, if not, maybe you could ask the dealer to pull it from the ecu. The code should be stored along with a freeze-frame of what the ecu was doing at the time of error.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
use diagnostics mode to pull the fault code history:

with ignition key and engine run switch off, hold down 'select' and 'reset' while turning the key on. keep the buttons held down, after about 8-10 seconds the dash should say 'diag'. let go of the buttons, then press and hold them both down again. after about 2 seconds, the dash changes and you'll see a big '1' with smaller numbers above it. click 'select' or 'reset' to flip through the diagnostics codes until you see a big '61'. then look at the smaller number above it, it will show you the recorded fault codes (it will scroll through them every 2 seconds if there are more than one).

if you see a fault code 50, that's 'faulty ecu memory'. basically something got corrupted during flashing - contact vcyclenut.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Uh oh.... Lots of codes here

Video coming but 50 was one of them.
9 errors are normal after flashing the ecu, because during the flashing process, the ecu is powered on but none of the bike's components are attached so the ecu bugs out. i have the flash-tune harness and i clear the error history after every reflash - it's always 9 errors and 50 is not one of them. you've got 10 errors including 50, so that's what was causing the engine cutout. it's happened to one or two members here, i believe.

contact vcyclenut, he'll need to reflash the ecu.

p.s. to clear the error history, go into diagnostics mode, click over to 62, and flick the run switch from off to on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts