Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so rather than buying or making a fork spring compression tool to use once and then store indefinitely, I decided to pay the local shop to put in my 1kg sonic springs and some 10wt oil. I could have sworn that the rebound adjuster moved up and down while adjusting, but it doesn't now. Is it just my imagination that it did that? It looks like they used an old stamped axle wrench from a bike's toolkit to remove my fork caps - I wish I'd have noticed it when I picked the bike up rather than after I got it home. I'm afraid to look for vice marks on the fork tubes.

If you had your fork springs replaced - did they do this to your caps too?

20141009_174738.jpg 20141009_174751.jpg

·
Registered
165 Posts
The caps are soft and mine are marked from when I removed them but nowhere near as bad as that. The right one looks particularly poor.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Assuming they loosened the triple clamp bolts to make removal easier ? maybe not.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Looks like the dumbass tried to loosen them with the upper triple clamp still tight. The preload adjuster has lines to help you determine how far in or out it is, so if you turn it, you will show less or more lines. One of several things could have happened when they reassembled your forks. They may have forgotten to turn the preload out, may have over tightened the rod nut, may have not screwed the rod nut all the way down prior to threading the cap, or may not have put the sleeve in the cap properly.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
From the picture it looks like they used an extremely thin wrench and tried both ways with the pinch bolts tight. Also, your preload looks to be all the way in. I guarantee that they did not back out the preload when they assembled it. Seeing that they rolled the bike out of the shop would have me in a rage demanding new fork caps so that I could get someone competent to fix it. Also, if they took the wheel off, I guarantee that they didn't torque the axle or the tripple clamp pinch bolts properly. I would not ride it fearing for my safety.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Assuming they loosened the triple clamp bolts to make removal easier ? maybe not.
I use a 6 sided socket that is a close fit.

They usually have a bit of a bevel at the opening, so I machine to a square / flat surface to

give the socket more area to grip.

When re-installing , they don't need to be very tight, pretty much like an ordinary oil cap would be.

Reactions: Dpak

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry this happend to you. Looks like something I did to my forks on my first every Spring replacement when I was young and more stupid. Just hope they didn't use vice grips on the piston rods to release the nut holding the cap for the spring. My fork caps started to get rust marks from the wrenching scuffs after some wet rides.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thats why I loosened the fork cap and removed the forks myself before having them serviced. After reading about C. Dolan's stripped thread from the factory I didn't want anyone else taking off the caps. Sorry this happened.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Okay, so rather than buying or making a fork spring compression tool to use once and then store indefinitely, I decided to pay the local shop to put in my 1kg sonic springs and some 10wt oil. I could have sworn that the rebound adjuster moved up and down while adjusting, but it doesn't now. Is it just my imagination that it did that? It looks like they used an old stamped axle wrench from a bike's toolkit to remove my fork caps - I wish I'd have noticed it when I picked the bike up rather than after I got it home. I'm afraid to look for vice marks on the fork tubes.

If you had your fork springs replaced - did they do this to your caps too?

View attachment 10150 View attachment 10151
Whoa!! Sorry to say, that's a butchered job...
+1 on getting cartridges - even better upgrade!

·
Registered
262 Posts
My rebound damping screw was hard to turn and the circlip stand out of the cap since springs replacement.

SAM_0773.jpg SAM_0774.jpg

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Banned
739 Posts
Typical stealership amateurs. That is a butcher job. I'd still go back there and tell them WTF!!

I did after I bought my CBR home from getting the 16000 mile valve adjustment. I noticed a dent in the tank and bitched about it. I got a coupon for $75 in store merchandise. Picked out a Fox Honda hoodie sweatshirt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts