Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i bought some chrome and metal polish to work on my pipes, and after cleaning good went for a short ride. Once i returned i could see smear marks on the pipes. Evidently did not wipe off polish good enough to begin with and without thinking which is usually what i do decided to wipe it off some more.

Here lies the problem; hot pipe and my cloth stuck to it leaving a fairly good amount of cloth on the pipe. Was thinking about using a scoring pad or maybe a brillo pad but i have no idea what this might do to the finish. It has to come off looks terrible any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've done made 1 stupid mistake and before going any further and making the problem worst i thought i'd see what you guys had to say.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A scouring pad (non metal type) should work fine, or some fine steel wool. You can always polish them if marks are left.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My main concern was if i scratched it up if it would polish back out.

And yes Mechanic I would like to have an akra, but will just have to wait on that fix would be nice though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I scrubbed some crap off mine a while back which scratched it up, but with some metal polish it came back super nice n shiny. Just needed some elbow grease

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
A scouring pad (non metal type) should work fine, or some fine steel wool. You can always polish them if marks are left.
By absolutely no I repeat NO means use steel wool!!! SS is a softer metal than your regular steel and you will leave marks or very fine scratches that will attract grime and the stuff you want to clean off. Use bronze wool instead with polish. A torch on a low setting to burn off some of the rag will help too.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Allow to cool

Remove with razorblade

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pick off any big clumps of burnt on cloth while the pipes are cool. Start your bike, allow the pipes to get hot, but not blazing hot, spray on some foam oven cleaner (don't inhale the fumes!), allow it to soak for 5-10 minutes, then wipe clean with a damp scotch brite sponge.. Allow to cool again, follow up with a quick polish, and you're done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts