Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, earlier in the season I purchased a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 2 sport touring tires for my bike which I am planning on mounting when I pull it out of storage after winter. However, now that I've been thinking about it, I'm not 100% sure I went the right route going for ST tires for the riding I do. I am not a high mileage rider and only do about 4-5k miles a year max. Almost all of my riding is city riding but I do occasional track days (maybe 3-4 a year at most), and I do sometimes head out into the local twisties on the weekend, though local roads aren't exactly in the best condition. Because I am relatively low mileage I'm debating stepping up from the ST tires to full on sportbike tires, such as Pilot Power IIIs or maybe giving Q3s a try instead. Opinions?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I don't have experience with any st tires but I have the pilot power IIIs and I can't say enough about them for aggressive riding. My lean angle and corner confidence increased significantly after upgrading from the bridgestones.

I do about the same amount of miles as you. I'm ok with replacing tires once a year. If you are as well I think a more sport orientated tire is a good way to go but again I don't have any experience with those st tires.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have experience with any st tires but I have the pilot power IIIs and I can't say enough about them for aggressive riding. My lean angle and corner confidence increased significantly after upgrading from the bridgestones.

I do about the same amount of miles as you. I'm ok with replacing tires once a year. If you are as well I think a more sport orientated tire is a good way to go but again I don't have any experience with those st tires.
PP3s were what I ran on my ZX-6R and they totally transformed the bike for the better. I would have gotten them again for the FZ09 no questions asked but considering I primarily commute (though I am naturally an aggressive rider, as aggressive as road and traffic conditions will allow for) and only do the once-in-a-blue-moon track day I went for the STs instead. I did run Pirelli Angels on my first bike, an SV650, but the bike's suspension was a weak link that kept me from testing the tire's capabilities.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I do a mix of commuting and spirited riding (1000 miles a month), with 75% being commuting. I decided to go with Pilot Power 3s when the Battlax S20s were shot. Best decision I've ever made. I've put about 1000 miles on them and they show no signs of significant wear. I've also noticed they are more confidence inspiring. On the S20s I felt like I was at their limits when I still had room to lean. With the PP3s turn in is much easier and I've actually gotten completely rid of the right side chicken strip. Still working on the left one. My friend has been running Q3s on his Daytona 675 two or three times now. Each time he gets about 2000 miles out of them. He does a lot more spirited riding. He loves them, but has been talking about switching to PP3s after riding my bike with them on. They aren't as sticky as the Q3s, but the longer life makes up for it.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
657 Posts
The only reason I'm considering going to a ST tire is because I dont plan on tracking the FZ (at this point). When I was running my R6 as a dual duty street/track bike, I wanted to make sure that I was running a tire that would give me max grip at track for a street tire.

Q3's are ok, but the harder carcas makes them a little rough on the street.

I was very happy with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's, which is Pirelli's equivalent to the Q3 (track/street x-over).

Sure you can drag pegs on a ST tire, but for me, having a stickier tire when tracking the bike gave my head more confidence.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
If you don't ride in the rain, cold, or highway, go with the sport rubber. If you do any of those three significantly, good ST tires are worth every penny. You can even track most of them at a novice pace (and then some).

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm still wearing out the Q3s on my ride from my track day. I was going to do some more but $ was a bit tight and since I do have shitload of heat cycle on them now... I'm just wearing them off.

I still have my Angle GT with about 3K miles on them, including a wet/dry track day. I honestly can't see how someone need more grip than that for street riding? If you go for a top of the line ST tire you won't see a difference even on spirit riding.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't ride in the rain, cold, or highway, go with the sport rubber. If you do any of those three significantly, good ST tires are worth every penny. You can even track most of them at a novice pace (and then some).
-My bike serves as a combination commuter (I do garage it for the winter but will ride as low as 40 degrees F, I ride in light rain but not heavy or thunderstorms), occasional track bike, and weekend warrior. However due to medical issues I am unable to go on long/all day rides, so my weekend spirited rides are maybe 2-3 hours max. You are aware of Pittsburgh road conditions, I know. BTW my commute to work is only 8 miles each way.

I'm still wearing out the Q3s on my ride from my track day. I was going to do some more but $ was a bit tight and since I do have shitload of heat cycle on them now... I'm just wearing them off.

I still have my Angle GT with about 3K miles on them, including a wet/dry track day. I honestly can't see how someone need more grip than that for street riding? If you go for a top of the line ST tire you won't see a difference even on spirit riding.
-On my first bike after I wore out the Pilot Powers that came on it I swapped out for Pirelli Angels (the STs were the ones out at the time, not the GTs) and the only real difference I noticed was in the wet. Otherwise no noticeable difference in performance. I put on 5k more miles on the bike with those Pirellis on it before I sold it and the tires still had plenty of life left on them.

So you're saying the Roadsmart IIs would be perfectly fine on the bike for track days since I ride in the novice/instructional group?

·
Super Moderator
4,380 Posts
This brings up a question I have. Yesterday while riding the mountains with a friend I noticed my PR4's had very little heat in them.
I was right with my friend who has Q3's on his Buell. His tires felt warmer than mine at our lunch stop. Why would that be?

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
This brings up a question I have. Yesterday while riding the mountains with a friend I noticed my PR4's had very little heat in them.
I was right with my friend who has Q3's on his Buell. His tires felt warmer than mine at our lunch stop. Why would that be?
Friction. Could stem from friction 'in' the tire...carcass flex due to tire pressure, tread deformation, extra weight on the bike. Could also come down to the rubber compound itself. Or how it was being used (i.e. if he was accelerating or braking harder, longer, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
4,380 Posts
Thanks for that Nick. I felt we were pretty much in "sync" as far as accelerating and braking. I was running as hard as I wanted to
and we could have been cited for the pace we were running. Never saw a straight longer than 400 yards all day long.
I was shocked that the tires were as cool as they were. It was cloudy and 58F when we stopped for lunch at 2pm,
and I was running 32F/34R for pressures. Over thinking this, I suppose.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Thanks for that Nick. I felt we were pretty much in "sync" as far as accelerating and braking. I was running as hard as I wanted to
and we could have been cited for the pace we were running. Never saw a straight longer than 400 yards all day long.
I was shocked that the tires were as cool as they were. It was cloudy and 58F when we stopped for lunch at 2pm,
and I was running 32F/34R for pressures. Over thinking this, I suppose.
I have a few guys I run with and I usually have the coolest tires, despite leading. A lot comes down to the tire, your riding style (smooth vs. ham-fisted), and rider weight (and bike weight).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Tire pressure also will add to the equation.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Tire pressure also will add to the equation.
I just read through both pages of this thread -- I didn't see any equation. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another thought, turning doesn't put very much heat into tires. Its the acceleration and braking that flexes them most and in turn heats them up more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would and plan to get pilot road 4's. I'll keep em at 36 psi for street commuting or scooting around town. 34 for back roads.

I would look for a set of race take offs or q3s or whatever you can find a used set for $100. Swap em at trackdays, the vendors here usually only charge $10 a swap (wheel off the bike)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts