Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my Fabbri Gen-X Touring for a while now, but honestly, I think I prefer the bike without it.

I don't really like the sound the wind makes when it hits the screen. Sometimes I'll find myself, mid-ride, tucking down behind it just to make sure that's where the noise is coming from.

Also, the bike looks 100x better without it.

Am I alone here? Should I maybe look at a different, more low-profile screen?

:sign13:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Took off my Puig sport screen after the second week of installing it. I prefer the naked look but I do plan on reinstalling it for long trips (100+ miles). I wouldn't mind having the OEM one all the time but I heard it doesn't do much for wind protection so I don't know if it's worth the money.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I have the Puig Sport Screen......Very satisfied with the look and how it deflects the wind.:icon_thumright:

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Took off my Puig sport screen after the second week of installing it. I prefer the naked look but I do plan on reinstalling it for long trips (100+ miles). I wouldn't mind having the OEM one all the time but I heard it doesn't do much for wind protection so I don't know if it's worth the money.
What the bike wants, the bike gets....lol:D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I knew unless I got something that made the bike look ridiculous (IMO) - the wind would be a factor. I'm not sure what it is but compared to my Naked sv this bike cuts through the wind much better but at the end of the day it's still a naked and I knew that going in.

I echo da braddah in that the Yamaha wind screen deflects some wind but I bought it mainly to hide my ez pass.

I haven't had very good luck with wind screens, even fully extended the wind screen on the Ducati multistrada I got to ride hit me right in the helmet. I actually hated it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I haven't taken the plunge into a windscreen for the FZ yet, but the ZG one on the 500 Ninja is pretty good at putting the wind right at neck level, so it all goes around the helmet. There is no buffeting whatsoever even thou I get a lot of wind noise under my Shoei helmet. I already have my head tilted up, working my neck muscles, so I don't find the blast of air intrusive.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have the Rizoma polycarbonate fly screen an I much prefer the look of my bike with it. I always felt that the bike looks unfinished without it, but each 2 they own I guess...

image.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I tend to break the triple digit speed barrier quite a bit. That being said, my not so pretty MRA Touring Screen does the job of keeping me comfortable on the bike. In this case, it is function over form.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I love my Ermax smoke colored 25mm fly screen. It really tidies up the front of the bike, hiding all the cables and wires from plain sight.

The top is even with the instrument cluster so it does not look like a traditional wind shield.

Wind blocking is minimal. It just moves the turbulent zone up from your belly button to your chest.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had the Puig Sport screen on my FZ for just a few rides. To me, it felt like I was riding into a headwind with the screen on. Took it off for a few weeks, then decided to give it another shot. And that's all it was- one ride and off it came. I don't like the was the wind seemed to concentrate at shoulder/bottom of my helmet level. All of my other bikes are without a screen by the way. I've been riding 40 years now, and I had previously tried a screen on my Hawk GT years ago with similar results so I guess I'm just old school.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I had the Puig Sport screen on my FZ for just a few rides. To me, it felt like I was riding into a headwind with the screen on. Took it off for a few weeks, then decided to give it another shot. And that's all it was- one ride and off it came. I don't like the was the wind seemed to concentrate at shoulder/bottom of my helmet level. All of my other bikes are without a screen by the way. I've been riding 40 years now, and I had previously tried a screen on my Hawk GT years ago with similar results so I guess I'm just old school.
Interesting. I'm 5'8". How tall are you...???

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Rizoma polycarbonate fly screen an I much prefer the look of my bike with it. I always felt that the bike looks unfinished without it, but each 2 they own I guess...

View attachment 9380
I Myself have the Rizoma Polycarbonate Windscree as well, in my opinion, i think it does help a "little" with protection, as well as my bellypan lol, other than that The way i see it, the windscreen is just for looks

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
What works for some may not work for you. Torso and arm length and posture come into play in determining where your head is relative to a windscreen. You may want to try sitting more erect than usual to get your head in clean air, it's often quieter than turbulent air coming off a screen. If this is the case, trim an inch at a time off your screen until the sound suits you. Lower bars will have the same effect.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I cut down my MRA Vario Touring and lowered the angle. It made the ride too noisy before I cut it - no matter how I adjusted it. Now I have the quiet back, and the top of the headlight doesn't look unfinished.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I took my power bronze off. I put it back on for long rides, and probably soon now that it's getting cold again. I don't like the way any of them look and don't mind the wind, even at 100 mph+

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I love my Ermax 25cm...helps with protection and no more wasted time cleaning bug guts behind the instrument display

1 - 18 of 18 Posts