Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of the southern boys have done this...is it worth it if I am going to be in Knoxville this summer for a few days? Mahalo

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
I really detest those silly names like Devils Triangle, Moonshiner and whatnot. With that said, HWY116 is a decent ride.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Rt. 116 can be a coin toss. Some days pretty good, others.....not so much. I've been there and chunks or the road, at the edge are gone.....missing....fallen off and down the side of the mountain. There is also a lot of coal mining done back in that area and some days there is a lot of coal dust/fines on the road. There is also some lumbering and the resultant logging trucks that travel the road. In my opinion, the best part of it is on the prison end of the road....the Petros, TN end.....off of Highway 62

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
I find Rt 116 is kinda like some of the roads in West VA. I call it "poverty with a view".

·
Registered
233 Posts
Haven't been there in a few years but it's worth riding.
Be cautious of above mentioned hazards along with slow moving traffic and ATV's.

It's a good stretch. If I was in the area it would definantaly be on my list.
116 is all I'd consider good.
The rest not so much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You want a better ride, try Dutch Valley Road out of Oliver Springs (my hometown) and Lake City. Just my opinion...

No such thing as a bad ride!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Keith.....are you sure of that suggestion? I just looked at it on my mapping software and it looks like one of the straightest roads in East TN! ????

·
Registered
88 Posts
It isn't a bunch of twisties like Deal's Gap, but it has these long sweepers that are a blast.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input so far. Will be doing The Dragon, Part of the moonshiner, and Cherohola. Will be coming up from Dehlonaga (buddy is in the Ranger Battalion there) and will also be doing Six Gaps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts