Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is not an original thought, but I just saw and love the Matte Silver 2015 FZ-09 and it got me thinking about my situation. Since August I have been dreaming of having the FJ-09 in my garage...it was nearly perfect. But the closer I get to pulling the trigger, the more I'm wondering if I've made the right choice.

I'm a 5'5" female. I plan on doing some touring (max ~500 miles per day) but for the most part, I need a comfortable ride for the weekend warrior. I'm a fair weather rider, so I don't know how much ABS and traction control will come into play. The lower seat, and slightly lesser weight of the FZ makes me feel more solid. I can get a windscreen and soft bags, which is the main thing it's missing for my purpose. It won't cost me $2300 (the difference between the FZ and FJ MSRP) to add farkles to the FZ to make it what I want. But I never pictured myself on the Standard naked-type bike and like the thought of the partially faired FJ. (I've been on a Ninja 250 for 3 years, occasionally riding a Honda 919)

Does anyone have experience riding both? Talk me into or out of my current choice. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
ABS and Traction control can be difference between life and death..

If I had to chose between the two when I purchased the FZ, i would choose the FJ (or tracer in my case).

500 miles a day on a naked bike seems like a lot. FJ looks better and more comfortable, and provides wind protection, and got a bigger fuel tank. It also fixed some of the "faults" the FZ came with.

Seems like an easy choice tbh

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Winifred.............At 5'5" you should be able to pretty easily get your feet planted on the FZ when coming to a stop. I don't know your weight, but it seems that the poor FZ09 suspension works for several of the forum members that are let's say less than 155 to 160 lbs. Then, depending on how aggressively you ride the bike, many time at least some suspension upgrades are in line, especially for folks that drift north of that approx. 160 weight range. Another of the seemingly endless complaints about the FZ is the very forward sloping seat.....and especially if you are going to be doing long distance on it. Again, this may depend on your level of tolerance for the seat shape and your weight. For example, I'm 195 without my riding gear and when I first bought the bike, within the first 20 miles my butt was hurting and I knew I would have to do something to the seat to fix that. Obviously everone is different in that regard, but the seat seems to be a pretty common complaint with this bike. Most of the stuff mentioned can be remedied fairly inexpensively though, so just some food for thought.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you already have a FZ in the garage and you like the weight and feel of the bike then it might be worth sticking with what you know. I think that the FJ will handle the same but have some added weight.

That extra 2300.00 could buy nice suspension, and a windscreen (and handguards) you like, and side cases for touring. You would still have extra money left over for exhaust, ECU flash, and LED lights. Now you have a nice touring bike. (don't forget the seat needs to be switched out for a comfy model).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I own the FZ and also a Super Tenere. I thought the FJ could possibly replace both given its stats on paper. Theoretically a combination of the best of both worlds. When I saw the FJ at the bike show it just didn't do it for me. For me, the FZ is a great, fun, daily ride. The FJ was not up to the standards of the S10. Not even close. I didn't care for the FJ styling when I was up close and for touring it can't possibly be as comfortable as a 600 lbs beast. No, the engine of the FZ is perfect in a naked bike made to rip around in. 500 miles, go big, or go home.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you had a chance to ride your husbands fz? I had an opportunity to take an FJ for a very short test ride (unfortunately we are still in the middle of winter here) and I don't regret my decision to buy the FZ (yellow 2015). That being said I couldn't really find anything to complain about on the FJ I just like the hooligan nature of the FZ and I have always loved the look of naked bikes. The motor of the FJ seemed slightly calmed down but it was still a blast when you take a handful. It was still very flickable but you could feel the extra weight up high, not a large enough change where it felt sluggish or like I was having to fight it when initiating turns, not really a bad thing but it just felt different. I must say the windscreen was a cool addition as well as the big display (I know this is a personal thing seems like some love it and some hate it). I also could noticeably feel the slightly different seating position it really wasn't that visible with the two bikes side by side but it definitely seemed a little more roomy (I am 6'3" so might not be a huge factor for you). I didn't have a chance to see the ABS or Traction control in action luckily, I am not personally bother by the lack of it on the FZ but I know some people would feel much more comfortable with those features. The seat was much nicer (I personally haven't been bother by the FZ's tiny little seat but I know some people truly hate it). I couldn't feel much of a difference as far as suspension goes but it was a very tame ride so there could be differences I am not able to say for sure from my limited experience.

So ya I hope that helped maybe a little, but from my short time with the bike I couldn't find anything that really bugged me about it. If you changed the logo on the side of it you really could have fooled me into thinking it was a completely different bike rather than a modified FZ. I think Yamaha has really done a really amazing job of making the FJ appeal to a completely different audience, unlike the FZ it didn't feel like I was on a hooligan machine. It felt like a much more mature and responsible ride that I could legitimately put some serious miles on it without having to make any adjustments. That being said the looks are slightly deceiving as deep down inside it still has the beautiful three cylinder motor that makes the FZ so insanely fun to ride.

As far as cost difference goes, personally if someone offered to trade me an FJ for my FZ plus the cost difference I don't think I would go for it. That being said the FJ isn't made for people like me who want to feel a little crazy when they ride, but if I was someone who was looking for a touring bike for longer trips or even a longer commute I would absolutely say the FJ would be worth it. All of the additions appeared and felt like they were high end and belonged on the bike rather than tacked on extras.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks UpsideDown and FreckyB. Amusingly, I still haven't done more than just sit on the FZ. My husband bought his late October and only got a few hundred miles on it before the gross Ohio winter set in. Even though we've had some nice days in the 50s, the salt strewn roads are enough of a deterrent for me riding an unfamiliar bike. The next obvious step is to finally catch a ride on the triple-monster once I can do it safely.

I've been offered a test ride by a local dealer, so I'll probably take them up on it for the FJ. Everything you said, Frecky, is what I've heard elsewhere. I'm no hooligan and the slightly tamer FJ might be the sweetspot for me. The cost is my biggest issue, considering it's another 1k for bags, $300 for the low seat, $250 if I want heated grips to round out the package... 4k more to start than the FZ, but of course that money is well worth it to a lot of people. For how much I've been riding (my main transport is still a car) I don't know if I can personally justify it.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Honestly if you're not HP hungry, put some Givi bags on a FZ07 + MRA touring screen and call it the day. The FZ07 is so under rated has a FZ09 downgrade... not even funny. It's just 2 bike with a different purpose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly if you're not HP hungry, put some Givi bags on a FZ07 + MRA touring screen and call it the day. The FZ07 is so under rated has a FZ09 downgrade... not even funny. It's just 2 bike with a different purpose.
I have seriously considered the FZ-07, and I think I would be perfectly happy with the power, but it just doesn't seem to "fit" as well. I haven't done anything more than sit on it...repeatedly, but the pegs are horribly in the way with my feet down, the seat is so narrow and brings me so far forward against the tank that I'm thankful I lack man parts. Maybe on the road, sitting farther back it would be more comfy, but at a standstill I just don't like it. I feel like it would just get tossed around in a light breeze like my Ninja 250 does. I love the price though!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have seriously considered the FZ-07, and I think I would be perfectly happy with the power, but it just doesn't seem to "fit" as well. I haven't done anything more than sit on it...repeatedly, but the pegs are horribly in the way with my feet down, the seat is so narrow and brings me so far forward against the tank that I'm thankful I lack man parts. Maybe on the road, sitting farther back it would be more comfy, but at a standstill I just don't like it. I feel like it would just get tossed around in a light breeze like my Ninja 250 does. I love the price though!
I see what you mean. The pegs seems a bit more forward than the FZ09 but I rode one for few days including a 100 miles ride. Bike run smoothly with just enough power. Try to find test ride... I'm sure you will like it. You can always upgrade a seat... FZ09 oem seat suck too. LOL

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
+1 for the FZ-07, as I agree that a lot of people see it as a lesser bike than an 09, but it is just a different bike that is under appreciated.

I haven't ridden an FJ, but I am curious to take one for a spin this spring. The local Yamaha dealer always has demo days, so it's a good time to try out different bikes for test rides. With that said, I have no plans to replace my FZ-09, I think the 09 will be around for many years to come.

The FZ-07 is still quite new, but there is already a good selection of aftermarket parts and accessories available. The FZ-09 had a bit of a head start with because of the European MT-09 appearance back in 2013. So I am sure the FZ-07 will have an ever growing selection of accessories as time goes on.

Just a small example of FZ-07 accessories already available:

Aftermarket Performance Upgrade, Parts & Accessories for Yamaha MT-07 / FZ-07 2014, 2015 | Motostarz Canada | Motostarz.ca
FZ-07 '14-'15 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com
Yamaha FZ-07 / MT-07 Motorcycle Performance Parts & Accessories
2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Parts & Accessories - SoloMotoParts.com
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessori...ycle?ls=Street&dealernumber=&fitment=2015|212

And as an added bonus, the FZ-07 is rated at 58 MPG.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Another thought... Check out the 2015 Versys 650lt or 1000lt. They look WAY better this year and come really well equipped for not much money. The 650LT is about the same price as a FZ09 and comes with abs, awesome hard bags, and a windscreen. Take the bags off and you have a lightly faired sport bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Versys 650 is underpowered and the 1000 is 100 more pounds.
Really the FZ/FJ have no equals unless you're willing to spend a lot more money.
I feel good with my FZ over the FJ cause I have 50 less lbs for 2k less money
That has bought me a seat,windscreen,shock and handguards that is not the same as every other one.
The reach is perfect for me to the fat bars on my FZ and I like being out over the front end on this bike.
ABS and traction control is nice but don't need it with less things to go wrong.
That leaves the 1 gallon bigger tank that I sorta can cover with Primus fuel bottles.Frankly I don't know anywhere in the US
Where not going over 160 miles would get me into trouble.
Bottom line: I think the looks of the FZ is leaner and meaner but...yes I'm a tad partial.:D

·
Registered
734 Posts
the older gs500 was not a bad bike . will do 70 plus all day . and 500 mile days lk superior tour 1200 miles 3 days . another tip 1200 miles 3 days . and he is in his 50s. cheep too

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
This is a good time of year to get a deal on anything that is left over stock from last year, which can help with the budget.

And are you willing to travel for a deal? How about a 2014 FZ-09 Blazing Orange with only 220 km's on it for $7,750 CDN?

That translates to an 09 with only 137 miles and for $6173.58 USD

The only catch is that it's located in London Ontario, and I do not know what it takes to import a motorcycle from Canada to the US?

2014 YAMAHA FZ 09 LOW LOW KMS | sport bikes | Markham / York Region | Kijiji

Land vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle accessories

Or something a little bit closer: http://www.fz09.org/forum/18-fz-09-sale-wanted/5532-fs-2014-rapid-red-fz-09-michigan-6800-00-a.html

And doing a quick Cycle Trader search, comes up with some interesting results for the FJ-09 from $8,899? is that a typo?
http://www.cycletrader.com/Yamaha-F...zip=45201&radius=250&sort=price:asc&newsort=1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And doing a quick Cycle Trader search, comes up with some interesting results for the FJ-09 from $8,899? is that a typo?
Yamaha Fj-09 Motorcycles in Cincinnati - New and Used Motorcycles on CycleTrader.com
Westfield advertises CRAZY low prices, but then adds all sorts of fees. I have 6 dealers on my list to contact for their OTD price, and Westfield is on there.

Thanks for the input everyone...it's definitely given me food for thought. I love the idea of the FZ-07, but not the looks or feel of it. Maybe the price will win out in the end though...you can't argue with a 7k MSRP.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Westfield advertises CRAZY low prices, but then adds all sorts of fees. I have 6 dealers on my list to contact for their OTD price, and Westfield is on there.

Thanks for the input everyone...it's definitely given me food for thought. I love the idea of the FZ-07, but not the looks or feel of it. Maybe the price will win out in the end though...you can't argue with a 7k MSRP.
Wini.......Sometimes we all have to compromise when we buy things, especially recreational things, but honestly, if you can afford the FZ 0r the FJ and you've already stated that you don't care for the feel or the looks of the FZ07, don't compromise for something that you already don't like before you buy it. That usually translates into a situation where you are looking to trade/sell/get rid of the bike 6 months later.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yeah, but even with Westfields fees, and tax, you still pay LESS than MSRP for a new bike, OTD.

Westfield adds $256 Freight, $242 Handling, $98 doc, plus tax...

99% of the buyers on this forum only dream of paying so little.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts