Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got myself a fz, but the bike will not power wheelie in 2nd in A mode.:eek: Do you think that yamaha detuned the ecu for the newer models?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Where do you live? I'm in CO (at 5400 ft, give or take) and it'll barely power wheelie in 1st. Remember that with 1000ft elevation you lose 4.5-5% hp

Cheers
Xav

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think I just lean too far forward, try giving the handlebars a push down then hit it on the way back up. I accidentally did that in first and found myself near the balance point real quick.

·
Registered
343 Posts
They wouldn't slow down purposely. You might represent many showing up next year to buy with who you meet.
.I weigh too much. First gear 6000 rpm hold steady plan , look again , roll throttle. Second rarely works doing the same. Coming out of corners is hard to keep the wheel down from compressed fork to power on upright position. My tires feel like they are done but don't look too bad. I lock up the rear and slide stop way to often. That's part of my fun and I want to lift the front wheelie off curbs but many are saying the oil plug is low. I get really worried around speed bumps. Slide stop, to front brake hold ,then power on tire spinning quick turn , release front and wheelie away. But I weigh too much.
I have the Orange one and this video short May have affected my behavior.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I weigh 250, and in STD mode, it'll lift up from 4000 rpm. As the others have said, load up the front, when it rebounds roll it on and UP YA GO!

·
Registered
734 Posts
this must be b/s mine did one the other day at 60 in second penski rear shock cranked up for two up . and i weigh too much too
and i wasn't even trying , one day on the hyway . shift to third , giver , pulling hard 75-80 . let off gas, thump really at 80 havent tired that one again

·
Registered
520 Posts
Coast it at 4k rpm and rip the damn throttle, i power wheelie about 1-1.5' in 2nd... I cannot however power it in 3rd as other people can... Unless im at a hilly peak of a road.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Besides body position etc the details of your suspension can make a huge difference in how wheelie prone the bike is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Besides body position etc the details of your suspension can make a huge difference in how wheelie prone the bike is.
In what way? I have mine cranked and I have clubman bars which make it harder. Would it help if I softened the rear preload?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Try reducing/eliminating the rear spring preload and compression damping. It might make other aspects of handling worse, so be careful, experiment etc.

My riding weight is about 170 pounds, when I got my 09 I didn't even check what the suspension settings were. I only road it once before winter set in, 26 miles of quick break in on rural roads, qranny speed in the turns, low RPM 2nd gear to high RPM 3rd full throttle blasts. I wasn't trying to wheelie but I got dozens, every thing from just off the pavement floaters to at least one moon launch.

Over the winter I did Buell clubmans, Stoltec flash, GP fork cartridges and Penske shock. Really killed the acceleration wheelies, but the 09 goes like a bat out of **** and that is what I wanted anyway. I shift by feel, can't really use the tach, sometime I should experiment with being sure I full throttle all the way to red line and see if it wheelies then lol. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've never had any problems doing wheelies in 2nd gear by just whacking the throttle. As the RPMs build toward 7-8K, it will lift the front end enough that I always cover the rear brake....just in case my old slow reflexes don't get out of it quick enough or find the balance point. 3rd gear wheelies are possible also, but the RPM's really need to be in the 9K range. All of this with a Penske double clicker on the rear and sag set at approx. 28-29mm and stiffer springs in the front and sag set to approx. 34-35mm. I weigh approx. 212-215 lbs with gear and ride towards the front of the seat. Arrow exahaust with Stoltec flash and mapping and stock gearing. I've had the front up in the air at between 80-85 in third gear. It's not near as easy to loft it up in 3rd, but certainly possible. I've never had to bounce the front end and then whack the throttle on the upside of the bounce.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Clutching the front end up seems more controllable and predictable to me, so that's what I usually do, but power wheelies in 3rd are no problem. Back off the throttle slightly for a split second to shift some weight forward then crack it open...simple as that. BTW I'm 220lbs geared up on stock suspension (settings maxed).

·
Registered
343 Posts
You have to be fat, and sit far from the tank, then you can wheelie with the motor off :)
I will try this excuse if I am pulled over by enforcement. My rear shock is full on but 60mph at 7000 rpm attempting wheelie , I think the rear shock squats under my weight. Four inches for a few feet but not one foot for ten feet except sometimes , once in a while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will try this excuse if I am pulled over by enforcement. My rear shock is full on but 60mph at 7000 rpm attempting wheelie , I think the rear shock squats under my weight. Four inches for a few feet but not one foot for ten feet except sometimes , once in a while.
If that doesn't confuse them nothing will.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I must be doing something wrong because I spend my time holding the front down. I don't need to bounce it or pull up. Take the play out of your throttle, accelerate in 2nd and when you feel the powerband hitting give it as much gas as it'll take cleanly - you'll either have to lean way forward to hold it down or it will stand up and try to run away from you. Don't hit it suddenly or bounce or pull up on it - you're more likely to flip if you do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts