Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday i dropped off my fz at the dealer to get the recall taken care of. While i was waiting for the head mechanic another mechanic said to me, "Did you bring that in to get detuned?" I said Um no, why would i do that? He then continued to say that on some of the forums people have been talking about the bike having to much low end power and they are going to detune the motor. When the head mechanic got into the shop, we asked him about it. He said that Yamaha has been getting complaints about the to much low end power. They are currently working on a new mapping and will be reflashing ECUs. They have to get the process down 100% because if something happens during the reflash, the ECU is junk.

I then went on to say that people have complained about the jerkyness of the acceleration but not that amount of power over all from what i have been reading. Some people are even sending their ECU out to third parties to get them flashed. I expressed my concern with this and if it would void the warranty. The mechanic said it would not. It was pretty much left at that.

I was shocked when i heard about the reflashing. They obviously cannot make it mandatory but it will be interesting to see what comes of this.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
There's no problem with the low end power, it's all about the delivery. I think everyone here knows that... Maybe the people complaining just don't understand how a powerful bike's throttle should feel.

The reflash I got INCREASED low end power significantly, but made it much easier to manage. Detune and FZ-09 do not belong in the same sentence. ;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Why would anyone in their right mind want to de-tune the bikes tremendous bottom end grunt. That is the primary reason I got the bike in the first place.

I agree the mechanic in question is mis-informed somehow.

In my book there is nuthin like twisting the wick and feeling the helium in the front tire kick in. Yea buddy!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Something tells me that the "mechanic" misunderstood something ...
This.
Also, don't think for a second that having an aftermarket flash on your ecu is within the warranty. There is no way Yamaha would cover part failures that could be proven, in any way, to be a result of you tampering with the firmware of the Engine Management. Now, whether or not they know how to prove it is a different story. But it is possible to see when an ECU was last written, and likely what was written to it. judging by the stories from dealers just trying to flash an update, I doubt they posses the competence at this point.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Isn't that was B Mode is for??? I think the Mechanic doesn't know what he is talking about, or maybe their sales guy solid some 09's to a bunch of beginner riders?

·
Registered
112 Posts
There's no problem with the low end power, it's all about the delivery. I think everyone here knows that... Maybe the people complaining just don't understand how a powerful bike's throttle should feel.

The reflash I got INCREASED low end power significantly, but made it much easier to manage. Detune and FZ-09 do not belong in the same sentence. ;)
Which reflash did you do?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
You would be pretty amaze how some of those guys are completely clueless. Being able to manage all the power in a smooth way is just as important as having a tone of power.

·
Registered
833 Posts
And this is why I stay away from the service dept if at all possible.

Reactions: cza888

·
Registered
155 Posts
This mechanic has to be misinformed. The FZ-09 has a LOT of torque in the low in, but it's not some ungodly amount that is unparalleled by other bikes on the road... Good grief this mechanic is clueless.

Good thing he works for Yamaha and not Kawasaki...the H2R will have roughly 300 hp!!

Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm. So 300 hp at 12,000 rpm it's got 131 ft-lbs of torque... Assume a extremely inaccurante (due to severe modesty) linear torque curve by the time you're at 4,000 RPM it'll be 44 ft-lbs. By 6,000 it's up to 65.5 ft-lbs (and more than the FZ-09).

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
This mechanic has to be misinformed. The FZ-09 has a LOT of torque in the low in, but it's not some ungodly amount that is unparalleled by other bikes on the road... Good grief this mechanic is clueless
Exactly. Look at things like KTM 1190 or Ducati 1198, etc... 70-80lb-ft of torque in the 3-4000rpm range. Take that kick in the face! LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I'm thinking they probably meant. "D" Tune......and it would only be available for the Graphite and Orange models...in an effort to try and make them ALMOST as fast as the Rapid Red ones. That would be an added mode that stands for....
1. Damn...that thing is fast
2. Drag race

·
Registered
418 Posts
That is complete non sense. A simple change to a 17 tooth front sprocket takes care of the low end power and tendency to wheelie unexpectedly. It's not the engine that makes the power that gets people into trouble down low, it's the gearing.The FZ09 is very tame and mild as far as power goes. Compare it to a 600cc sport bike, it's pretty mediocre.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
That is complete non sense. A simple change to a 17 tooth front sprocket takes care of the low end power and tendency to wheelie unexpectedly. It's not the engine that makes the power that gets people into trouble down low, it's the gearing.The FZ09 is very tame and mild as far as power goes. Compare it to a 600cc sport bike, it's pretty mediocre.
Uh, what? Did you mean <sarcasm mode> ? Last time I checked, my race prepped ZX-6R had nowhere near the bottom end grunt of the FZ09. Top end, of course it rips, but bottom, no way.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts