Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

In this forum post (http://www.fz09.org/forum/4-introductions-site-assistance/3602-newbie.html) I realized that I shouldn't get an FZ-09 as my first bike for it doesn't deserve to be dropped as much as a newbie drops his first bike. So I started searching for a cheap simple bike that would be a good first bike. I posted on Craigslist what I was looking for and this other Marine apparently is selling his 2002 Yamaha r6 for 2500 but is willing to give it to me for 2000. I asked for pictures and if he can hold it until I come back to the states. Any thoughts on the bike (will post pictures once I receive them) and any guidance for a first time buyer?

·
Registered
165 Posts
an R6 is a pretty extreme machine for a first bike. I have owned 2 and they are fantastic bikes, but often crashed and abused. look at the maturity of the owner as much as the condition of the bike.

on the 99-02 model the shift return spring is a known weakness, but also a pretty simple thing to fix. symptom of a broken spring is a reluctance for the gear lever to return to its rest position, then cannot change gear.

they also use oil - the level needs to be monitored carefully. you will get used to the (level) light coming on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you recommend getting it? I was actually looking for a dual sport so i could practice riding in the dirt since i was told that is the best terrain to learn in. But this seems like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd say GET IT... But I'm R6 biased. I'm only 21 but I have had my fair share of experience with riding on the street.

As long as you don't fly around like an idiot all the time, you could get an R1 for your first bike. Just be respectful (I'm sure you already know)...

Any bike could be a good bike. My cousin got a 2009 Suzuki sv650 for his first bike. He is 28 now and still loves it. He never dropped it, yet (I'm not saying I hope he does, but we all know a bike goes down at sometime). He still loves it. It gets up and goes at a decent pace.

R6 isn't a bad bike either. I used to have an 09. It was great. It isn't too much for anyone if ridden properly.

Idk where I'm going with this I was going to try and explain some shit but I think I got the gist of it. I worked all night and I'm tired now. Not sure if this even helped at all.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Depends on condition and mileage. That bike could be a nightmare for you being that old. I would try and get something newer. Also I would never hold a bike for anyone and I don't know anyone who would either. Unless they are naive and never been burned before. But I bet you if someone brought him cash today he would sell it. Plus you don't want to buy a bike sight unseen. So don't send him any money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm not gonna send anything. I figured since he is a Marine and knows how its like being deployed there is a change he will hold it for me. I'm gonna ask for the Mileage as well. I'm not gonna buy something without testing it out first and checking it over multiple times.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It is hard to get a reliable and clean sport bike in your price range. I buy and sell them. Just scour craigslist and search every model you know of. And honda's are the best way to go when it comes to older bikes. Personally if I had 2500 to spend on a bike, it would be a used dual sport. (dr200, xt250, crf230l, etc.). You can get a really clean cbr600f4i from 3-5k, depending on the years 01-06. I also wouldn't buy anything older than ten years, unless it has radically low miles.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is hard to get a reliable and clean sport bike in your price range. I buy and sell them. Just scour craigslist and search every model you know of. And honda's are the best way to go when it comes to older bikes. Personally if I had 2500 to spend on a bike, it would be a used dual sport. (dr200, xt250, crf230l, etc.). You can get a really clean cbr600f4i from 3-5k, depending on the years 01-06. I also wouldn't buy anything older than ten years, unless it has radically low miles.
Thanks for the Advice!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just my two cents. I know if I had started on a sport bike (like the fz09), I would have gotten myself into trouble. I learned to ride on a 2003 Buell Blast. It's a 500cc, single cylinder engine. If I cranked the throttle too hard, it was forgiving and nearly impossible to wheelie. The Blast is fun, but it is quite small. I'm having trouble selling mine for that reason, I imagine. All this to say, I don't think you can go wrong starting on a Ninja 250, a Honda Shadow, or something else that has a smaller engine that will forgive you for beginner mistakes.

·
Registered
957 Posts
An R6 is a very poor choice for a first bike. Supersports in general come with a way steeper learning curve and will outright punish you compared to other bikes. As a new rider you will encounter situations where whether or not you are on a more user-friendly bike or not will mean the difference in whether you can recover or go down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An R6 is a very poor choice for a first bike. Supersports in general come with a way steeper learning curve and will outright punish you compared to other bikes. As a new rider you will encounter situations where whether or not you are on a more user-friendly bike or not will mean the difference in whether you can recover or go down.
Yeah, I should keep searching for a dual sport then.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Get yourself a nice dual-purpose bike, take the Beginning Rider Course (BRC) and get your skills up to snuff. Then if you like, sell the D-P bike and get something like an SV650. Get comfortable with the capabilities with a bike like that and THEN start thinking about an FZ-09 (you might find you'd prefer an FZ-07 instead).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get yourself a nice dual-purpose bike, take the Beginning Rider Course (BRC) and get your skills up to snuff. Then if you like, sell the D-P bike and get something like an SV650. Get comfortable with the capabilities with a bike like that and THEN start thinking about an FZ-09 (you might find you'd prefer an FZ-07 instead).
Taking the BRC is what got me in to wanting a bike in the first place. I just want to get enough experience to move up to the FZ-09 and ride everywhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It doesn't HAVE to be a dual sport, although a supermoto/dual sport type bike (DR-Z400SM!!!) is the ideal IMO.
Haha, I'm going for anything that is under my budget and works well as a first bike. I kinda want dual sport over the rest because I want to take it on the dirt and get that experience too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I remember correctly, that gen had 2nd gear issues. Might be something you wanna reasearch before you buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
if you're on a budget, while the R6 may be cheap to buy (i'm not super experienced but i wouldnt recommend starting on a super sport either way) your cost to insure it will be significantly higher than a non super sport bike.

FZ6, Ninja 650, SV650, Ninja 300, CBR 300r - these are all bikes that look good, low cost and significantly lower insurance cost. It's all variable on the rider and discounts but i bought my SV650 for $3k road it for a year and half - sold it for 2800 and paid $100 a year for insurance.

You can't beat that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts