Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I live in northern New Jersey and was wondering if anyone knows of dealerships in the area that provide demo rides. Was an FZ1 owner (gen 1 and 2) for quite a while. My current street ride is an Aprilia Tuono (2007.5), but of late I've become intrigued with the FZ-09. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Hey and welcome from a fellow North njer.

No dealership I know of offers test rides. Hanover power sports and the cycle exchange both told me they have their last fz09 for the year (my buddy was interested in buying one) so they apparently are not even dealing on price now.

I think the tuono is pretty raw with power right? Never ridden one but would imagine the fz would have a similar feel with shittier suspension.

What do you not like about the tuono that's making you think about the fz?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I don't know of any dealerships that will let you test ride sport bikes. I bought mine based on reviews. You won't be disappointed with the bike. I absolutely love mine. It's the best bike I have been on to date.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My dealer had a "demo bike". I probably wouldn't have bought mine if I hadn't ridden one first.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you go on Yamaha's site and search for dealers, the list should show which allow test rides (or should allow test rides) I'm sure a lot don't bother. Give the one's that you'd be willing to travel to a call and ask.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think Motorcycle Mall had one for demo rides last year. You could check and see?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you go on Yamaha's site and search for dealers, the list should show which allow test rides (or should allow test rides) I'm sure a lot don't bother. Give the one's that you'd be willing to travel to a call and ask.
YMMV on that. Yamaha.com lists all of my local dealers as allowing demo rides, yet none of them have a FZ-09 demo bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I"m hoping to test an '09 too. Yamaha has an annual thing they do, it's called Yamaha Demo Days. The company has a special trailer they pull around the country with a semi-tractor to dealerships all over the country. Inside this trailer are the latest bikes they have to offer. You sign a waiver, provide proof of a motorcycle endorsement, and you're on your way. Last year at my dealership, everyone was able to test ride up to 4 different bikes, I took out an R1, and R6, Super Tenere, and a Bolt. They also had a Gen2 Vmax availabe for a test ride. You sign up for an open time, the rides go every 1/2 hr. They go out about 10 bikes at once with road captains in the front and back, we ride as a group for about 20 minutes. The Yamaha company website has a demo day schedule up, I believe. One last thing, make sure you show up dressed appropriately to ride. If you don't have a helmet and are not wearing jeans and boots, you don't get to take out a bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think the tuono is pretty raw with power right? Never ridden one but would imagine the fz would have a similar feel with shittier suspension.

What do you not like about the tuono that's making you think about the fz?
The FZ1 has an amazing engine. My gen 1 was jetted by Ivan and was as smooth as silk. I love the Tuono too, but I'm not as big a fan of the twin. Everything else about the Tuono pretty much beats the FZ1, brakes, suspension.

My priorities are comfort and performance. Had a DRZ SM and loved it everywhere but on the highway. I'm looking for that same light, comfortable, upright riding position and agility of the DRZ with more performance. As I alluded, I love the smoothness of in-line 4s, and I like the down low grunt of the Tuono. So, I am thinking the the FZ-09 will be a nice compromise with the added benefit of a "super-moto" like ride but without giving up so much performance. Not sure if this makes sense? If so, did I come to the right place? :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I"m hoping to test an '09 too. Yamaha has an annual thing they do, it's called Yamaha Demo Days. The company has a special trailer they pull around the country with a semi-tractor to dealerships all over the country. Inside this trailer are the latest bikes they have to offer. You sign a waiver, provide proof of a motorcycle endorsement, and you're on your way. Last year at my dealership, everyone was able to test ride up to 4 different bikes, I took out an R1, and R6, Super Tenere, and a Bolt. They also had a Gen2 Vmax availabe for a test ride. You sign up for an open time, the rides go every 1/2 hr. They go out about 10 bikes at once with road captains in the front and back, we ride as a group for about 20 minutes. The Yamaha company website has a demo day schedule up, I believe. One last thing, make sure you show up dressed appropriately to ride. If you don't have a helmet and are not wearing jeans and boots, you don't get to take out a bike.
I looked on the website and no demo days close to NJ...too bad.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The FZ1 has an amazing engine. My gen 1 was jetted by Ivan and was as smooth as silk. I love the Tuono too, but I'm not as big a fan of the twin. Everything else about the Tuono pretty much beats the FZ1, brakes, suspension.

My priorities are comfort and performance. Had a DRZ SM and loved it everywhere but on the highway. I'm looking for that same light, comfortable, upright riding position and agility of the DRZ with more performance. As I alluded, I love the smoothness of in-line 4s, and I like the down low grunt of the Tuono. So, I am thinking the the FZ-09 will be a nice compromise with the added benefit of a "super-moto" like ride but without giving up so much performance. Not sure if this makes sense? If so, did I come to the right place? :)
The FZ should fit your needs nicely. The first thing I noticed on my demo ride was how light it was. Granted, I had just got of my big Bandit and it weighed in at about 540lbs full of fuel. But I love the upright dirt bike feel. I'm still in break in, so I haven't been to redline yet but the power is plant good so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts