Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What tend to be the "rules" when a dealer offers a demo? Is it just, you break it you buy it or what?

I've only bought one brand new bike ever, and a demo wasn't an option (still ice on roads). I'm not sure what to expect if I try to talk the dealer in to it. Thanks for any advice.

This guy on the MT-07 appears to bring the bike back to the dealer at the end. At least he didn't use any brake pads or rubber on the front.

Maybe the guy on the other bike is a salesman?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Stopped at Woods Fun Center in Austin a few weeks ago, got to talking with a couple sales guys about the FZ-09 and they said they had one in the back that was going to be totaled due to frame damage from a crash during a test ride. Then one said "Good thing we always have people sign the waiver". So I suppose it is a "you break it you buy it" policy. My local dealers do not allow test rides. The guys at Woods said you could ride anything on their floor but had to sign a damage waiver.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
My dealer told me that the only way to test ride a motorcycle is to either be approved for financing or have cash/ credit to purchase the bike in cash you wreck it.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I seriously did a power wheelie right in front of the dealer and the salesman was waving his arms as I was riding off down the street. I rode it for 45 minutes and came back and bought the Orange model. They were a little miffed but I blamed it on the snatchy throttle.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Man, after watching that video I like the MT-07 Gauges alot better than the FZ-09 Gauges. I wonder if we can swap em out, order one? You can actually see that gauge.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Damn that guy can ride wheelie.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I agree with you guys on the 07 instrument pod. It's centered, and a little larger. I thought the dealer must have shit if he saw this guy's YouTube video. I wonder if the guy purchased one? I read his comments, and he said it wheelies easy in first and second gear. Third if you use the clutch.

I also notice that the 07 comes with smaller turn signal, and I like that look. Maybe I can smuggle one from Canada?

·
Registered
232 Posts
dealer would be pissed i imagine if he seen the video but the guy can wheelie and hold her up for good long runs

·
Registered
111 Posts
Whit my dealer I pay the first $400 of the insurance claim.

I have heard with some dealers it is you break it, you buy it but, I have not seen that.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Just watched the video, yikes, I don't want to buy that demo lol. The rider is skilled, but a squid.

I'm not a fan of the 09 gauges, but I don't like the 07 either, at least where it's mounted.

If I was in the market for a bike in the 07's HP class I'd take a hard look at it. I don't like some of the styling but looks like a fun ride and I don't see much of a bike when I'm riding it. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I popped a wheelie on my demo. When i got back i was like "Alright, so where is my bike?" That being said i bought my fz8 as a demo and got it for a steal. Bike ran great, not a single issue after 12000 miles when i traded it in.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The guy can ride wheelies, but he can't keep it in his lane - and he was really pushing it by wheelieing past the parked cars. Notice how he handed the keys back and said "no" - that was just a joy ride. I'd have rather seen him lean it into some corners. I like the gauge cluster on the 07 better than the 09's but what I really want to switch out id the left handgrip controls. I like being able to give a quick "I'm here" on the horn if I think someone doesn't see me - but the horn button is too far away to use it while trying to avoid someone. I'd rather the turn signal be the one that takes a conscious effort to use, and the horn be in the intuitive place. I can rewire handgrip controls easily - the gauge cluster might not work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Improper wheelie body position. Throttle hand is to heavy and he is compensating with body weight.

Granted I can't ride a wheelie that long, but it don't let it rev out in the same gear over and over either.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My demo ride was with a dealership employee. He mounted a used Tuono. Led me around for about a 15 ride. Everytime he went fast, I kept on his tail. Nothing crazy but I did get to get on it a bunch of times. Funny thing about my ride was we came around a curve that led to the freeway and there was a dude demoing a Triumph Daytona, moving it out of the road. Parts and pieces everywhere. Lowside action. Cold morning, cold tires, powering out of the curve. Not a good combination. I bet his insurance company is not pleased.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts