Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me what to think about this: my dealer has known I've wanted a red fz 09 since August and promised me the first one he got. He never asked me for a down payment and, when I offered to put money down, my sales rep told me he'd hold me a bike--without a deposit--when he gets one (I've bought 2 other bikes from this dealer). Dealer is a nice guy.

Same dealer got a red fz 09 two weeks ago but has announced he's "decided to keep it as a demo." My rep let me ride it last week--man, it was nice!--but he won't sell me this bike. Can't find any other red fzs in my area, so I guess there's nothing to do but wait for his next delivery and hope we don't get snow soon.

What gives? Is it typical for a dealer to keep a customer waiting by holding a bike as a demo? In November??? What's the dealer doing? Should I try somewhere else? Any magic words? (By the way, he's quoted me a reasonable price for a trade-in on my current bike and an out the door figure on the fz.)

Any insight is welcome!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tell me what to think about this: my dealer has known I've wanted a red fz 09 since August and promised me the first one he got. He never asked me for a down payment and, when I offered to put money down, my sales rep told me he'd hold me a bike--without a deposit--when he gets one (I've bought 2 other bikes from this dealer). Dealer is a nice guy.

Same dealer got a red fz 09 two weeks ago but has announced he's "decided to keep it as a demo." My rep let me ride it last week--man, it was nice!--but he won't sell me this bike. Can't find any other red fzs in my area, so I guess there's nothing to do but wait for his next delivery and hope we don't get snow soon.

What gives? Is it typical for a dealer to keep a customer waiting by holding a bike as a demo? In November??? What's the dealer doing? Should I try somewhere else? Any magic words? (By the way, he's quoted me a reasonable price for a trade-in on my current bike and an out the door figure on the fz.)

Any insight is welcome!
Where are you located?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Seems like the bottom line is that he went back on his word, I wouldn't be too happy. I once had my local small town dealer, after everyone agreed on trade-in value and new bike price, drop the price on my trade in bike $400(25%) when I came in to buy the new one. I had known them for years, I walked out and never went back.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Our local dealer is doing something similar. He's only getting one now, and holding on to it for a showroom demo. (it's winter here anyway) He's getting the main shipment in the spring, and that's when they're up for grabs.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
They are allocated a demo as an extra bike. The problem is that he figured that he could sell more bikes by putting the first one in demo service, not that he is playing with it. He was more concerned about revenue than pleasing one person. All bets are off.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree I would not do anymore business with that dealer, alot of dealers are going to burn themselves because these bikes are in very short supply for now and there not thinking about future sales. I bought mine from Berkely honda yamaha because Scott is a straight forward business owner with no BS , he does what he said he will do that why I do business with him. To me a dealer who goes back on there word will put $1.99 a quart oil in your bike and charge you $10.00 for the oil you wanted him to use.:cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
My bike was this is the demo from my dealer but he knew I was waiting and promising first one and sold it to me I don't know the reason why your dealer did this unless he discovered that it was taking a while to get shipments I've had my bike for a week and my dealer still hasn't not gotten another one in. Whereabouts in Connecticut are you my dealer gets a Red one I can always let you know I'm about maybe 45 minutes from the Connecticut border in New York I'm in Middletown New York. You also may be interested to know that my dealer
does not charge freight and set up. If you call cycle motion in Middletown ask for Darren tell him Roger told you to call.

Reactions: chris d

·
Registered
601 Posts
Buy the bike from someone else.

But to satisfy my curiosity, I might call Yamaha and ask about their policy on demos vs sales. Who knows, they might even offer you some kind of discount for your trouble.

Call 714-761-7300 and ask for Dennis McNeal.

He's the Vice-President of Motorcycle Operations for Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA.

They're in Cypress, CA. So Pacific Time.

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
Is there any kind of agreement that you sign when you test ride the bike......in other words, if it were "wrecked", would you have any liability for repairs/damage. If not, take it for another test ride. The rest of this story is up to you to figure out.........

I am just kidding of course, but it would be very tempting to pull something off and take his "demo" out of service. I'm with a couple of the others here....someone lied to you and have gone back on their word. At least now you know what kind of people that you are dealing with......DUN.......Done!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks,

My parents live in Milford, PA. I'm outside of Hartford, CT. Maybe next summer you can show me some of the roads out that way!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, if I wreck the demo, I own it. All the paperwork before the ride was very clear! That's a great idea. Maybe just a gentle drop would do?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Buy the bike from someone else.

But to satisfy my curiosity, I might call Yamaha and ask about their policy on demos vs sales. Who knows, they might even offer you some kind of discount for your trouble.

Call 714-761-7300 and ask for Dennis McNeal.

He's the Vice-President of Motorcycle Operations for Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA.

They're in Cypress, CA. So Pacific Time.

I can tell you through my experience the dealer can get in trouble for selling the demo ( can't tell you what the repercussions are ) but every month dealers get a visit from an inventory inspector and they are basically their to make sure you have in stock what you are suppose to. So how do they get around that easy the bike is on a test ride. But if they needed it i would take mine back over its only 2 miles. Don't know what happens if its raining.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts