Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
43 Posts
Wow, I was SUPER lucky to get one that just arrived, in the crate at my dealer and no one had claimed it yet. They got one extra over their deposit count. ¯\(ツ)

Picked it up last week. They got the crate delivered on Jul 4th (North of Montreal, QC, Canada). My bike's manufacture date is May 2021...

·
Registered
439 Posts
@vcyclenut have you had any issues breaking into the ECU’s on these like the 2021 R1’s?

sorry to steal OP

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,680 Posts
I agree 💯👍🏻‼ and overall I’m very happy with the new look except for the location of that rectifier thingy which I’ve noticed is still under the seat on the 2021 MT-10 go figure ❓😂
Well, the ‘21 MT10 is the same as all the previous 10’s, so the rectifier is in the same place it always was.

The ‘21 09 is all new from the ground up. My purely speculative guess as to why they relocated the rectifier is that with all of the new electronic components on the ‘21, maybe it needed more cooling air than it was getting underneath the tail.

Somebody may design some sort of side cover to clean up the look, but hopefully they will consider routing some clean air across it with a duct of some kind…

·
Registered
541 Posts
The back or inside surface of the rectum-fryer is open to the rush of air as the bike proceeds, so I imagine that a cover of sorts, if given some louvres or other openings, would be perfectly OK. And it cannot be such a critical thing if the unit is under the seat on other bikes, presumably well-separated from the outside air. But bad design nonetheless...

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
60 Posts
I agree 💯👍🏻‼ and overall I’m very happy with the new look except for the location of that rectifier thingy which I’ve noticed is still under the seat on the 2021 MT-10 go figure ❓😂
Yeah, I'm not sure why they moved it. It might also be because of where they had to put other things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you really want a new SP and also don't mind paying several hundred or more for shipping, locate non-local dealerships that show these with actual VINs, whether in or out of state (unless you reside in CA), and basically purchase one that hasn't already been sold, and either arrange shipping on your own, or if the dealer prefers to arrange this themselves, and have it delivered directly to your door (or possibly your place of work)!

I was about to work with a dealer in San Diego CA (I'm up in northern CA and nobody had the blue that I wanted) who had NINE total of the '21 09s (3 of each color), and could actually transfer one of these to one of their other dealerships that was only 75 miles from me in Tracy, and for NO added cost for shipping since it would've been "transferred". But ended up sticking with my local dealer after they had informed me mine was on it's way in the next week or so (I put my name on a list with them). So check first if a dealer in-state has the SP in stock (and if they have a dealership closer to you) since shipping would be cheaper compared to out-of-state. I also used uship.com on two occasions when I purchased a Suzuki GSF1250 out of San Diego, and also a '75 Kawasaki H2 750 out of Arizona, both delivered right to my door (driveway actually), and I believe the costs were around $500 and $400 respectively (uship costs will vary depending on the individual doing the driving, as they may be picking up and delivering other items along the way).

Just a thought if you've just got to have that '21 MT. In the big picture, really, what's another $400-$600 when you're paying over $12k or $13.5k out-the-door to begin with, right? At least you will end up with and riding this AWESOME bike!😁🏍

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
12 Posts
I put a deposit on an MT09SP back in December 2020. I just got the bike last week, July 9, 2021. I think it's the first one in my area or even the state. Build month on bike is 05/21.

Reactions: Aaronstrassy

·
Registered
595 Posts
Pigknife?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put a deposit on an MT09SP back in December 2020. I just got the bike week, July 9, 2021. I think it's the first one in my area or even the state. Build month on bike is 05/21.
My wait wasn't nearly as long - put my name on a list with my local dealer in April 2021, bike arrived in June (weird that my build date is 11/20...:unsure:). But you gotta admit it was worth the wait...!😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put deposits of $100 - $500 for an SP at each of 3 different dealerships in Southern California back in Jan. I was told 1) there would be limited availability of SPs at dealerships, and 2) shipment delays. Because of limited availability, my deposits were just to get on waiting lists. Advice from a friend who worked at a dealership, was to get on as many different waiting lists as possible. Was notified in late May by a dealer where I was first-in-line for the only SP that they would be allocated that the bike was expected to be delivered in late June. Bike arrived at the end of June and I got refunds for the deposits that I placed at the other dealerships. If you do end up having your choice of dealerships, try and determine what the Added Dealer Markups are ahead of time. SPs are fetching premium prices in my area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That was good strategy for the rarer SP Tentimer! I’m glad it worked out for you as planned👍! I had asked the large San Diego dealer (Fun Bikes?) what their markup was on the non-SP and he told me it was $1330 if I recall correctly. That seems a hefty sum and I suppose you may get lucky and find a dealer that charges slightly less?

The “sales price” for mine which I purchased close by me up here in Nor Cal not including any of the other fees or sales tax, was $10,469.00, so that’s a $1,070 markup which includes the mandatory destination fee that I believe most if not ALL dealers charge. Fine with me - I GOT my ride!😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was good strategy for the rarer SP Tentimer! I’m glad it worked out for you as planned👍! I had asked the large San Diego dealer (Fun Bikes?) what their markup was on the non-SP and he told me it was $1330 if I recall correctly. That seems a hefty sum and I suppose you may get lucky and find a dealer that charges slightly less?

The “sales price” for mine which I purchased close by me up here in Nor Cal not including any of the other fees or sales tax, was $10,469.00, so that’s a $1,070 markup which includes the mandatory destination fee that I believe most if not ALL dealers charge. Fine with me - I GOT my ride!😁
That was a good price Migh Tee9. Destination charge Is $840, which I'm told is a pass-through shipping cost that is set by the manufacturer regardless of how much it actually costs to get the bike to a particular dealer. So your dealer's "markup" was only $230. SPs in SoCal are typically commanding a $2,195 A.D.M. - so $1355 dealer prep.over the $840 destination charge. Some dealers are making a distinction between "Standard" pricing and "Premium" pricing, the SP usually getting the latter. I asked for, and got, my dealer's standard pricing for the SP - $10,999 MSRP + $840 destination charge + $549 dealer prep. I've also noticed that some dealers are recently advertising the standard 2021 MT 09 with a discounted MSRP but then charging an inflated A.D.M . 😡

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
60 Posts
That was a good price Migh Tee9. Destination charge Is $840, which I'm told is a pass-through shipping cost that is set by the manufacturer regardless of how much it actually costs to get the bike to a particular dealer. So your dealer's "markup" was only $230. SPs in SoCal are typically commanding a $2,195 A.D.M. - so $1355 dealer prep.over the $840 destination charge. Some dealers are making a distinction between "Standard" pricing and "Premium" pricing, the SP usually getting the latter. I asked for, and got, my dealer's standard pricing for the SP - $10,999 MSRP + $840 destination charge + $549 dealer prep. I've also noticed that some dealers are recently advertising the standard 2021 MT 09 with a discounted MSRP but then charging an inflated A.D.M . 😡

Destination charge is set by Yamaha and is 430.00 for the MT09 on their website
Before Taxes, Licensing, and a "document fee". My SP was 11,895.00. $430 destination and $466 for the setup. So, to be honest I think I got away pretty good lol

Did mine not actually have a SP markup?

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the folks who already got their SPs delivered, are the bikes 50 state eligible (i.e. meet California emmission norms)?
Asking because I have a deposite down for the SP in NJ but I will moving to California in a month or two, so want to make sure that I can actually register it in Cali. If not, I will have to cancel the deposite and wait for a few months in Cali.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
12 Posts
For the folks who already got their SPs delivered, are the bikes 50 state eligible (i.e. meet California emmission norms)?
Asking because I have a deposite down for the SP in NJ but I will moving to California in a month or two, so want to make sure that I can actually register it in Cali. If not, I will have to cancel the deposite and wait for a few months in Cali.
Mine doesn't have the charcoal canister so I think its the 48 state version.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts