Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've placed a deposit on an SP last month and am now being told that it may ship in August. Anyone have an idea on the Yamaha situation?

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,668 Posts
Everyone has an idea of the Yamaha situation. Most of us are wrong. It is what it is. Either be patient or don’t. If you just put down your deposit last month, consider yourself lucky if you get one at all. Lots of people have been waiting since last fall...

·
Registered
49 Posts
It may be a long wait. I talked to several dealers and one was willing to take a deposit for one until I mentioned another dealer had their complete allocation pulled, except on new R7. When I mentioned this sales guy says "can you hold for a minute while I talk to our manager".

He then gets back on the line and asks, are they're other bikes you're looking at? We have a MT07 and and Duke 890r..... That whole discussion was for a MT09SP or an non-SP and ordering one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've placed a deposit on an SP last month and am now being told that it may ship in August. Anyone have an idea on the Yamaha situation?
I put down a deposit for the SP back in May on the East Coast and it still hasn't arrived. It was suppose to arrive in June but now there is no communication from the dealer. For all I know it might not arrive this summer.

Where are you based?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I placed a deposit in early April for an SP model and was told delivery will be June. They had orders placed for 4 SP models at that time. I called in June for an update and Yamaha canceled 2 of their 4 orders for an SP and pushed the delivery date back to October. At that point they asked if I had any interest in an MT-10 they had in stock... I said not really. They also offered the opportunity to cancel my deposit and receive the full refund at that time, which I sadly did. For them to just give a full refund back with no issues makes me think they dont plan on receiving the bikes by October either... Another reason for accepting my refund is that I didnt have an exact sale price in writing, and I can only imagine how much they are going to try to sell them for over MSRP... They didnt seem willing to put a price in writing with no known delivery date from Yamaha either.

Oh well, guess I'll see what next year brings. I dont really feel the need to stare at a brand new bike in the garage all winter here in WI.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It was to avoid such hassles, let-downs, and general guts-aches that I decided to forego the '21 model and opt for a '20 SP, despite liking the '21's cruise-control, but I'm an impatient guy at best.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
27 Posts
Placed a deposit for a 21 SP in November of 2020. Still no solid date of when it’ll arrive. I don’t think I’m going to get it this season. I’m based in MN

·
Registered
Batmobile
775 Posts
There are 4 base models within 200 miles of me out here in SC. Looks like 3 SP's in Texas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not a lot of inventory and dealers are not doing dealer trades because of this lack of inventory and the mark-up that can be made especially on a model like the SP.
Even ordering and getting a date for a blue/gray model from a local dealer, became an exercise in futility like I mentioned above.

What I found on cycle trader is unscrupulous dealers are showing SP's and other motorcycles. but unless there is a VIN in the listing chances are they don't have them in stock.

Yamaha website, which I found is pretty accurate has 5 SP's scattered throughout the US. If they've not been recently sold. This is how I found my MT-09 in the color/model I wanted, but I had to arrange shipping. There were no SPs listed on Yamaha's website when I bought mine in early June.

I check several of the listings below on the dealer websites and no VIN were listed. So there is that.
The Houston listing is a good example. The pic are of a bike that has probably been sold. They don't have a VIN for the listing currently out there.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
55 Posts
Damn, I guess I got really ****ing lucky to get the SP this year. I put my deposit down on a black base model in April, that got pushed back from May to June/July. But, the SP was supposed to come in early and I got my deposit switched.

Hopefully, y'all get your bikes in but, if you have to wait I recommend waiting this bike is everything I wanted and more

Edit : I need a better camera, if you have suggestions pls message me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put my dough down in November of 2020 for the 2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP and knowing that living in Hawaii we’re usually last to get anything‼ but it’s cool, besides I’ve been doing lots of research on aftermarket stuff just wondering though am I the only guy thinks that electrical looking thing on the right side just below the seat is fugly❓it was under the seat on my 2014 FZ-09… maybe a cover from some company that agrees with my opinion🤮❓😂

·
Registered
537 Posts
Damn, I guess I got really ****ing lucky to get the SP this year. I put my deposit down on a black base model in April, that got pushed back from May to June/July. But, the SP was supposed to come in early and I got my deposit switched.

Hopefully, y'all get your bikes in but, if you have to wait I recommend waiting this bike is everything I wanted and more View attachment 165967 View attachment 165968 View attachment 165969

Edit : I need a better camera, if you have suggestions pls message me.

Congrats, well done, and nice bike...

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
55 Posts
I put my dough down in November of 2020 for the 2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP and knowing that living in Hawaii we’re usually last to get anything‼ but it’s cool, besides I’ve been doing lots of research on aftermarket stuff just wondering though am I the only guy thinks that electrical looking thing on the right side just below the seat is fugly❓it was under the seat on my 2014 FZ-09… maybe a cover from some company that agrees with my opinion🤮❓😂
Well that's the cooling fins for the rectifier, so it is important to let it cool the rectifier. Someone may make a relocation bracket or a cover but, keeping it in operating temps probably is pretty important.

TBH, I love the way the bike makes me feel more than how it looks, but I also love how it looks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It may be a long wait. I talked to several dealers and one was willing to take a deposit for one until I mentioned another dealer had their complete allocation pulled, except on new R7. When I mentioned this sales guy says "can you hold for a minute while I talk to our manager".

He then gets back on the line and asks, are they're other bikes you're looking at? We have a MT07 and and Duke 890r..... That whole discussion was for a MT09SP or an non-SP and ordering one.
Thanks for feedback. Maybe my post should be asking "does anyone know of another bike that is as good as the MT09?"

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Talked with a large Dealer in Indianapolis and the problem is getting the electronics for these units due to the Covid epidemic form china !

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Hey Pat,
I had an August delivery date on an MT09 SP allocation. Dealer told me last Friday that the bike was invoiced and expected within 10-14 days. Looks like the SP's that are arriving were VIN'ed in 05/21. Hope yours shows up.

Got the chance to ride a '21 black MT09 on a well known road. The bike is good enough to scratch a knee and wheelie out of the corner. Just sayin', the SP components are worth the price but the 09 can get it on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Pat,
I had an August delivery date on an MT09 SP allocation. Dealer told me last Friday that the bike was invoiced and expected within 10-14 days. Looks like the SP's that are arriving were VIN'ed in 05/21. Hope yours shows up.

Got the chance to ride a '21 black MT09 on a well known road. The bike is good enough to scratch a knee and wheelie out of the corner. Just sayin', the SP components are worth the price but the 09 can get it on.
Hey Fezzer9,
Where are you based?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well that's the cooling fins for the rectifier, so it is important to let it cool the rectifier. Someone may make a relocation bracket or a cover but, keeping it in operating temps probably is pretty important.

TBH, I love the way the bike makes me feel more than how it looks, but I also love how it looks.
I agree 💯👍🏻‼ and overall I’m very happy with the new look except for the location of that rectifier thingy which I’ve noticed is still under the seat on the 2021 MT-10 go figure ❓😂

1 - 20 of 48 Posts