Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am spending the summer in Wisconsin. Yesterday while riding my Versys. on the Iowa side of the Mississippi River, I hit a deer.
Roll speed was about 50-55 MPH when the deer appeared. I was on the brakes extremely hard, and punted the deer at about 25-30 MPH, at impact, I launched over the bars....that is the last thing I remember. The impact knocked me out, I wound up in a ditch. The first thing I recall is staggering up to the shoulder, two guys were standing near my bike, which was now on the side stand.

"I saw you hit the deer, you ok?" Never even took my helmet off, which was scratched on both sides. I inspected the bike, fired it up, and rode 35 miles to the Kaw dealer where I originally purchased it.

My wife picked me up, and off we went to the local ER...........Separated shoulder, bruised ribs, very sore hip. Limpy drag leg, for the first day of walking around, shoulder popping every time I move wrong.

All in all, a great story to tell.

"Your rear wheel was off the ground, as you hit the deer"........good thing, I practice stoppies often.

Ray

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yikes, I'm glad you are home. You are tougher than I am to ride with those injuries.

The 2 guys had time to put the bike on the side stand but not come find you?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
glad you're ok - this is my biggest damn fear - what's the damage on the bike?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yikes, I'm glad you are home. You are tougher than I am to ride with those injuries.

The 2 guys had time to put the bike on the side stand but not come find you?
They may not have seen me in the ditch, with all the tall grass and weeds.
Perhaps my responses and behavior, lead them to think, all was A-OK, we all left the area soon after.

An interesting note: All the males of the family on my Fathers side, have an extremely high pain threshold........lucky me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glad you're ok - this is my biggest damn fear - what's the damage on the bike?
The bike has mostly cosmetic damage, but most likely, it will be enough to total it.

Maybe I will buy it back.......maybe not, depends on the #'s.

Yes, those big Forest Rats, seem to be everywhere.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wow, not to be the mom but if you were out, should have 911ed it to the hospital and left the bike. That being said, I prolly would have done the same thing. Glad you are OK...bikes are cheap.

I had a ground bird commit suicide on me last weekend, came out of the bush and ran directly into my front wheel. It was like the size of a chicken, looked it up online and may have been a grouse.

Remembered a friend told me "if you can eat it in one sitting, run it over. If not, evasive maneuvers."

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear about your accident. Those damn deer are populous in my area as well. From 11:00 pm- 7:00am they are out in droves.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
wow, so sorry bro. One of my 1st accidents was hitting a deer, back before I knew about leather...I had alot of rash that summer. Glad you are relatively OK, it IS a good story

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Damnable hooved rats!

Need to cull the herd with a lot more hunting!

Glad you were able to walk away from the deer strike. That doesn't always happen!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Deer have just as much right to inhabit this planet as we do. When we continually encroach on and shrink their habitats (while virtually eliminating their natural predators), it's obvious that encounters/accidents will inevitably increase. I live in Wisconsin, I go for early morning rides all the time, and I make damn sure to keep an eye out for deer. If one day I do have an accident with a deer, it will suck, but it won't prove that deer are a nuisance that shouldn't be tolerated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good that u was paying enough attention to slow down. The speed u hit at was alot better than it could have been.

No doubt u will see them alot earlier next time probably have eyes like an owl for some time to come i bet

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Damn, Brah glad you are mostly ok. On the Big Island, we have all black wild goats that cross the road or sit there munching on the roadside herbage in the predawn hours-they don't weigh as much as a deer, but I wouldn't want to hit one in the dark at 60 mph. Take care...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had a friend that hit a wild turkey.

Wild Turkeys and Riding don't mix.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Deer have just as much right to inhabit this planet as we do. When we continually encroach on and shrink their habitats (while virtually eliminating their natural predators), it's obvious that encounters/accidents will inevitably increase. I live in Wisconsin, I go for early morning rides all the time, and I make damn sure to keep an eye out for deer. If one day I do have an accident with a deer, it will suck, but it won't prove that deer are a nuisance that shouldn't be tolerated.
No deer do not have just as much right now to inhabit the planet. They no longer have predators so their population is unnaturally inflated. Further, when it comes to a competition for resources between humans and a hooved rat, I will choose humans. Deer are not some great graceful animal. If you believe that you have been watching too many Disney movies and are terribly ignorant of reality. Deer are a overgrown overpopulated rodent and nothing more.

Too many deer = too many deer vs vehicle accidents that kill people. Deer are too stupid to not stay out of the road. Thus, for our own safety, their population needs to be "managed".

·
Registered
225 Posts
No deer do not have just as much right now to inhabit the planet. They no longer have predators so their population is unnaturally inflated. Further, when it comes to a competition for resources between humans and a hooved rat, I will choose humans. Deer are not some great graceful animal. If you believe that you have been watching too many Disney movies and are terribly ignorant of reality. Deer are a overgrown overpopulated rodent and nothing more.

Too many deer = too many deer vs vehicle accidents that kill people. Deer are too stupid to not stay out of the road. Thus, for our own safety, their population needs to be "managed".
Well said. They have as much of a right to inhabit the planet as those who are more powerful allow.

Load your guns, everyone. It's hunting season.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Rayminator...wow man...sorry to hear about that damned Deer crash...but glad you're ok. I hit a very small Deer about 5 years ago on a motorcycle...and didn't crash....but there was no avoiding that Deer at all. Any crash you walk away from is a good crash. Heal up soon man and make sure to follow through with all the rehab.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Are you gonna sue the deer then?
No he said he is going after deers insurance company, State Farm. He would sue the deer personally, but it exploded upon impact.

Reactions: beck
1 - 20 of 32 Posts