1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Haha, that's still double what I've ever paid.

Probably discontinuing them, it's a close out. In power sports gear, year old, new stock, is deeply discounted. This item is discontinued Id guess, since it is a closeout.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I would check the build date if they can provide. You may only get a few years out of them depending on how old they are

·
Registered
957 Posts
When you see helmets that are being discounted like that, it's because they're leftover previous year stock that's being closed out. Helmets technically only have a 5 year life span (which is why track day organizations won't let you use a helmet that has a build date more than 5 years old). Over time the foam that makes up the EPS is said to break down and after approximately 5 years (give or take) it's supposedly degraded to a point where its ability to protect you in a crash comes into question.

With graphics you can tell just by the graphic because many helmet graphics are only produced for a single year. However with solid colors it's not that easy because the solid colors are produced during the entire production run of the helmet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
When you see helmets that are being discounted like that, it's because they're leftover previous year stock that's being closed out. Helmets technically only have a 5 year life span (which is why track day organizations won't let you use a helmet that has a build date more than 5 years old). Over time the foam that makes up the EPS is said to break down and after approximately 5 years (give or take) it's supposedly degraded to a point where its ability to protect you in a crash comes into question.

With graphics you can tell just by the graphic because many helmet graphics are only produced for a single year. However with solid colors it's not that easy because the solid colors are produced during the entire production run of the helmet.
that, and usually they're only available in certain leftover sizes

·
Registered
187 Posts
whenever i crash. or find a deal i can't refuse. so, i've crashed once, and bought one new helmet and three used ones so, i'm at 5 in about 5 years but i havent spent over $400 combined either

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I would check the born on date as was previously mentioned. It's labeled on every helmet so if you are thinking about buying one of those I would call and ask for the manufacture date. I recently purchased a Shoei X12 that was manufactured in Oct 2013 that was discounted by $300. It's an $800 helmet and I gave $500. I knew the X12 was their newest helmet but called anyway to find out why the drastic discount on a brand new helmet. Their response was that the U.S. distributor gave them a smoking deal if they bought all the stock on two helmets whose graphics were not popular and therefor not moving. I didn't mind the graphics and it was cheaper than the RF1200 and RF1100 so it was a no brainer. Love my Shoei. I buy a new helmet about every 2 years, but that's because I'm a gear whore. I have 6 jackets, 12 pairs of gloves, 5 helmets, and a partridge in a pear tree. I hit shops and on line stores and browse through their close out and clearance sections. I know I will always need a jacket or gloves and since they aren't perishable..... Strangely enough I only have one pair of boots and one pair of riding pants. Maybe I should remedy that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I actually bought 2 this year.... NOT a normal occurrence, BUT... I got a REALLY good price for a VEMAR Eclipse, carbon fiber helmet. Prettiest helmet I've ever owned, lightest too...
Once the temps go below 80, I'll be wearing it.

How often do you guys get new helmets?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts