Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, looking for a few perspectives from prior or current hypermotard owners - as I am down to deciding between these two bikes. I realize they are totally different styles, but both resonate with me. The stance and tech on the Ducati (2013 821 watercooled, ABS, modes, trac control) is great. I realize there is price difference, but not really focused on that. Maintenance/service costs could be a factor but Ducati are at 18,000 mile valve checks on the new motors.

I think the sound of the triple is hard to beat and the actual riding position on the FZ-09 may be more comfortable than the hyper and the aftermarket is catching up nicely to the FZ.

Any quick thoughts for bike that will get ridden mostly for a short 5 mile commute, the occasional longer ride, but really just around town. My experience level is somewhere above novice, but not what I would call intermediate - thinking in terms of run groups for the street : )

·
Registered
841 Posts
All depends on what you want really. If you have the cash, I think the Hypermotard would be the more fun "hooligan" type of bike but the FZ09 has that in bounds too. The Ducati will have a better suspension out of the box, maybe better brakes and it will have a bit more "character" if that matters. That all beings said, it seems the FZ09 is damn hard to beat for the money! you could do the exhaust and a complete suspension and still come up a couple thousand cheaper!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
How tall are you?
I went to look at the hyper. I sat on it and could barely touch the ground.
5'9" and 31" inseam.
There is a lowering kit that told me but I didn't think 1.5" lower would be enough.
Yep too tall for me.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
FZ09 is more freeway and all day ride of the 2
Hypermotard, not so much.

comes down to what type of riding you want to do want to do.

personally, I would never own a Hypermotard as my only bike. it would have to be bike 2 or 3 in the garage because it is so limited in what it is realistically capable of.

Reactions: taoshum

·
Registered
299 Posts
I test drove the new Hypermotard last summer and I just became the owner of a FZ-09 a few weeks ago. I drooled over the hypermotard for a long time but just couldn't rationalize the initial price and cost of maintenance for myself. I've only ridden the FZ-09 a few times so far. From the little experience I have with both bikes, I would say they are similar in the way they handle and the seating position. Stock for stock the Hypermotard is going to handle better and be more agile because of the better suspension and lighter weight. Both bikes will be a ton of fun for the type of riding you will be doing. Price aside, if you like customizing your own bike, then buy the FZ and upgrade the suspension. If not, get the Hypermotard. I am in no way a professional motorcycle rider and this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i like the duc as well, but even at 6'0 and 32" inseam i found the seat height pretty damn high. My neighbor has a 848 and the amount of maintenance he does on that bike just to ride it occasionally is astonishing.

It's a sweet bike, as some others have said the suspension will be better out of the box and the electronics are arguably better too, but for me, the FZ is just so damn cheap compared to it - i can't imagine those 2 points being strong points to justify a ~$6 kprice premium, plus all the maintenance headaches.

My neighbor told me, you don't get to decide when you want to ride the duc, it decides when you can ride it instead :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Britm3...you said "mostly for a 5 mile commute". If it was me I wouldn't spend 8 to 11 thousand dollars for a mostly short 5 mile commute. The bike wouldn't even warm to operating temperature in 5 miles. The rings won't ever get seated against the cylinder walls either in that short of a ride everyday. The bike will end up burning oil.

I hope you don't think you will be saving money by riding a motorcycle to work for 5 miles. Spend $600 and buy a used scooter instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm kind of in this same boat. I actually road a Ducati S4RS for 7 years until an accident at the track took it out of commission. I'm currently shopping for a new bike, and the Hyper is probably highest on my list, with the Yamaha a very very close second. I am looking at the 1100 hypers though because a)they are available far cheaper, and b) although maintenance intervals are far shorter (7500) valve checks, they are actually pretty simple to work on. In the 7 years I had my Ducati, it never once stranded me. I think most of the people that talk to high ownership costs or maintenance or reliability get a lot of information from hearsay. Not to say they don't have their problems, there are plenty that do, but the 2v motors are reasonably bullet proof.

I will say the aftermarket support is FAR FAR cheaper for the yamaha. Exhausts, ECUs, mirrors/blinkers/etc are all half the cost they are for the Italians.

I'm on the shorter side at 5'10" and 32" inseam and I was on my tippy toes on the Hyper. Also considering a streetfighter 848 for the water cooled naked "comfy" sport bike but it has a far lower seat. Anyways, just thought I would chime in because I'm basically considering the same two bikes.

I love the Yamaha for the value, engine, dealer and aftermarket support, and I think it's got about the perfect amount of HP. My old monster had 135-140 HP which was great on the track, but a pain on the street, it's simply too much for traffic. I think the 100-115 HP is about perfect. I like the ducati because of the engine sound....man it's awesome. Also simply to have something that not everyone else does.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I haven't been able to make my mind up yet.

Michael

·
Registered
734 Posts
Britm3...you said "mostly for a 5 mile commute". If it was me I wouldn't spend 8 to 11 thousand dollars for a mostly short 5 mile commute. The bike wouldn't even warm to operating temperature in 5 miles. The rings won't ever get seated against the cylinder walls either in that short of a ride everyday. The bike will end up burning oil.

I hope you don't think you will be saving money by riding a motorcycle to work for 5 miles. Spend $600 and buy a used scooter instead.
My brother has a 650 Bergman sure he gets guff fot it ,,,, until they ride it , man that thing can go 100 is easy and theres lots of storage

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was in the same boat when I joined this forum, Ducati 821 vs. Yam-09 but after considering the ride reports, initial cost, parts pricing, dealerships, insurance, seat height (5'9" me), maintenance, vehicle wts. and performance, I decided the Yamaha with mimimal extra expense (ecu, suspension etc.) would be every bit as much fun as the Ducati. I do think the Ducati is a nicer looking machine and I love the sound but for the money saved I would be able to pick up an FZ-07 if and when it comes to the states...just my thoughts even though you said price wasn't the main concern.

Also, considering the Yamaha is spec'd at 414# wet, then at a dry wt of around 392# stock or 380#ish with aftermarket ex. and tail tidy, I don't think the Ducati is any lighter...since I think you mentioned weight...Mark

·
Registered
877 Posts
When we shot video of the FZ 09 running Palomar, we had an 1100 Hypermoto as a camera bike.

It could barely keep the bone stock ( at the time ) FZ 09 in sight.

An 821 is not much lighter than an 1100 and would be even slower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When we shot video of the FZ 09 running Palomar, we had an 1100 Hypermoto as a camera bike.

It could barely keep the bone stock ( at the time ) FZ 09 in sight.

An 821 is not much lighter than an 1100 and would be even slower.

I actually watched that video with quite some interest for exactly that reason. To be honest I'm not as concerned with absolute speed. Either bike will be more than sufficient to have a lot of fun, and both will be rideable every day because they are not so high strung.

If price was no object between an 1100 hyper and fz09, would people still have gone with the fz?

The fz has a metal tank, so no swelling issues, better fueling, more power/fuel economy/range, and longer maintenance intervals. The duc has better looks, better sound, and not everyone has one, which is fun for me to be different.

It's a pragmatic practical vs emotional decisions, and lets be honest, motorcycles are usually an emotional decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm 6ft , 32 inch inseam and the standard hyper motard is about my limit - the SP at 35 inches I am stretching.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well as much as I'd lie, to say it's always more expensive to buy and and change a bike 1yr later b/c you didn't feel it - I see the FZ-09 not nosediving in used value quite so much as the motards.

i like the duc as well, but even at 6'0 and 32" inseam i found the seat height pretty damn high. My neighbor has a 848 and the amount of maintenance he does on that bike just to ride it occasionally is astonishing.

It's a sweet bike, as some others have said the suspension will be better out of the box and the electronics are arguably better too, but for me, the FZ is just so damn cheap compared to it - i can't imagine those 2 points being strong points to justify a ~$6 kprice premium, plus all the maintenance headaches.

My neighbor told me, you don't get to decide when you want to ride the duc, it decides when you can ride it instead :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fair point on the economics of it but I'll lay out my commute options - $4 parking $16 in train fare per day - so I spend $400 a month on public transport into Boston - if I use a bike even 3 days out of the month - it's not a bad deal - eventually. So 15 miles into the city or 1 mile to a train.

I did actually do a scooter for a little while - Aprilia SR50, that thing was entertaining.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Fair point on the economics of it but I'll lay out my commute options - $4 parking $16 in train fare per day - so I spend $400 a month on public transport into Boston - if I use a bike even 3 days out of the month - it's not a bad deal - eventually. So 15 miles into the city or 1 mile to a train.

I did actually do a scooter for a little while - Aprilia SR50, that thing was entertaining.
So...400 a month on a nice warm train.....versus 8k for bike...200 for monthly insurance....bike maintenance.....new riding gear...money for mods....and the risk in the traffic for 15 miles each way...every day?

Nothing wrong with wanting a nice big brand new bike.....but trying to justify the purchase for a short commute to work sounds pretty much like you are trying to convince the wife....not us. Seriously....for short commutes when the weather allows in Boston is weak. Scooter is much better.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

Do you have no interest in riding the bike outside of commuting or are you simply trying to justify the commuting aspect knowing that you'll have fun on it regardless?

If it's the ladder that's a hard sell - the commuting piece - particularly in Boston (my wife lived there before we were married and i was in RI - spent a lot of time commuting up there) will be more expensive to ride in - not to mention it's a horrible city to drive in both with road maintenance and horrible drivers. If I was hell bent on moto commuting in boston - i'd be looking at an adventure bike (triumph tiger) or similar vs. an FZ but that's just me.

If you want to commute with it but buying mostly for fun - buy the bike - you can read enough threads already on here about how all of us have a love affair with this bike.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts