Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Deciding on a Slip On

Tags
exhaust
13K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  FZ09R 
#1 ·
Hello,

for budget reason, I'd like to go for a slip on instead of a full exhaust.

Im not looking for anything fancy, just a deeper sound that stock.
Any recommandation ?

#2 ·
An M4 is what i have and I'm very happy with it

#9 ·
#10 ·
Now I know GPR had some issues in the past with this bike. A member owned their exhaust, had a pro dyno tune it, and he still lost performance across the rev range. He sold it, and went another route.

I was under the impression that they planned to redesign it, after some complaints about performance, but I'm not sure what came of it.

#12 ·
So, what's the bottom line here; Who offers the best slip-on for the FZ09 and provides the best bang for the buck....??? Now that full systems are on sale for $750 +/- from top names like Akra & Yoshi, the slip on has to perform and sound good for half +/- IMHO :cool:

#15 ·
Something about two pipes on a three cylinder doesn't sit right with me. I'm sure it's a fine exhaust but I'm one of those people who likes even numbers.

Reactions: Steve101
#17 ·
Pretty sure, at least on North American bikes, the catalytic converter is in the muffler, so any slip on will eliminate it. I may be wrong though.

#18 · (Edited)
I just got my bike so I haven't done anything yet, but I have been digging through exhaust pages and videos quite a bit. For a budget slip-on, I'd go M4 ($380). My main issue here I don't care for the way it looks - it's too short and fat. Also, a lot of people don't like the sound - I've heard people say it reminds them of a Honda Civic "fart-can".

If I had more money, I'd go with the Scorpion Serkat carbon ($488 stainless / $570 carbon)- I, personally, think it looks better and flows with the lines of the bike better than any of the other slip-on exhausts I've come across, both here in the US and overseas. Their full system ($765 SS / $898 carbon) would also be in the running if I had even more money, but I think that would probably lose out to the Akrapovic carbon in both terms of sound and performance. Plus, the Akra full system can be had for only $775 from Motomummy. That's a pretty d*mn good deal for an awesome full system, if you ask me.

I also looked pretty closely at the GPR Furore, but when I started looking at it closely I realized that instead of tapering off as it got closer to the mid-pipe, it stays the same size. It looked kind of clunky and out of place to me... It also gave me concern for ground clearance that some people have stated this bike already lacks.

M4

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Scorpion Serkat

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive exhaust Exhaust system

GPR Furore

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Akrapovic Full Carbon

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Reactions: Steve101
#19 ·
There was a M4 on my bike when I got it, it looks and sounds fantastic but it does pop like mad. I'm don't know what route I'd have gone if I had made the call. I probably would have lived with the stocker for a long while and saved for a full system and dyno tune.

#21 ·
I think the popping happens with all, or at least most, after-market exhausts due to decreased back-pressure and something to do with the smog "air injection" system. You can clean that up for about $30-40 with a set of smog block off plates like these:

Driven Block Off Plates Yamaha FZ-09 14-15 - Sport Bike Track Gear

Sportbiketrackgear also has a good video of the install process:

#22 ·
You cannot compair a slip-on vs full system IMO; Slip-ons are for sound, weight reduction and looks - Full systems are all of those plus performance gains. If the two where within the same price point you could, but they are not. It's like compairing budget tires to race slicks........

#28 ·
It's NOT legal. Look through the paperwork and I'm sure you'll find some note that it's "For Off-road Use Only". It's just that very few states actually enforce it (unless they're pulling you over for something else).

Verified: http://www.solomotoparts.com/M4-Carbon-Fiber-Slip-on-Exhaust-for-FZ-09-14-15/

"Legal only for closed-course competition racing use."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: david72
#30 ·
Do you have the DB killer installed in the muffler? I wouldn't worry about your loudness, I think the a**hole Harley guys are louder.

Reactions: jth_fz09
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.