Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started out focused on getting the FZ-09, I went to check it out and was impressed by its simplicity and weight balance. However at my dealer they have a 2007 SD 990 and I'd never seen one before, it struck a chord with me. Now I'm torn between the 2 bikes. What I want is a daily commuter bike that isn't gutless and performs well. I also hope to enjoy it some on weekends. I'm 43 and won't be doing wheelies in traffic or any other tricks for that matter, but performance is important. I grew up riding motocross bikes and prefer light and nimble machines with good power but don't care for riding position of a sport/GP style bike. In 2001 I got my first street bike, an HD Sportster 383 Hugger, it was okay, not to heavy but LOW on power and VERY uncomfortable on any trip over 20 mins or on the interstate. So I sold it after less than a year and thought that'd be my last street bike. Then I noticed the street fighter/naked bike movement and that got my attention but I was waiting for something to inspire me. The FZ looked exactly like what I wanted, but then came the SD 990 and now I'm torn. Any input, experiences or comparisons are welcome. On paper they seem similar, weight, height HP, but I here the Mpg is less on the SD and the upkeep is higher. Lay it out for me, which should I choose?

·
Registered
570 Posts
FZ, no contest. Super Duke will be much more hassle in terms of maintenance, parts availability, reliability, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you like riding more and tinkering less....the choice is Yamaha.
The KTM is 3 yrs old, chances are, it had a rough life (it's a superduke).

At 43 you probably won't enjoy the ultra-firm dirt-bike style seat for very long.

My $0.02

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have been riding KTM dirtbikes since 1997 (Before they became mainstream again) and never had any real issues with the 5 I have owned. Personally would stay away from the streetbikes though, read too many people complaining about the lack of refinement and known issues on their street motors. Personally I was looking into the Superduke 1190 before picking up the FZ but after seeing the MSRP I bailed.

If you have local dealer support it is an option, otherwise stay away. My Aprilia was an awesome machine but too many issues and lack of dealers around factored in to me selling it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
On paper they seem similar, weight, height HP, but I here the Mpg is less on the SD and the upkeep is higher. Lay it out for me, which should I choose?
That's because KTM is lyin' on their ass with a so-called "dry weight "number of 410 Lbs.

Dry weight means no fluids such as gas, oil, or coolant. Sometimes, even no battery.

I had a 2009 SD and it came in at 454 with a full tank of gas. Sold it 2 years ago.

In comparison, a 2008 Duc Hypermoto came in at 442.

The FZ 09 is the 1st bike I have seen where the real world weight with a full tank of gas was

even close to advertised weight. ___ 414 ads vs 417 on the same scale I weighed the SD.

The tank on the SD does hold about 1 gallon more gas, however.

Get the FZ 09, and this is from somebody that just turned 62.

Reactions: JM123 and craig_GA

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
The Duke vibrates almost as bad as a Harley. Like Harley's, Duke screws like to come loose at the most inopportune times.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
The SuperDuke is one of the few bikes that I like the looks of more than the FZ-09, and I love the exhaust note too. But really, in terms of practicality & reliability the FZ-09 should win hands down. I wish I could own both though. But I'm just saying, if an 883 Sportster felt very powerful to you, you're in for a HUGE shock once you ride either of these rockets!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The SuperDuke is one of the few bikes that I like the looks of more than the FZ-09, and I love the exhaust note too. But really, in terms of practicality & reliability the FZ-09 should win hands down. I wish I could own both though. But I'm just saying, if an 883 Sportster felt very powerful to you, you're in for a HUGE shock once you ride either of these rockets!
Actually the HD 883 I thought was kinda lame power wise. It got better after having the carb redone and baffles removed but far from impressive. I liked the size and weight of my HD 883 Hugger but it just wasn't all that inspiring for me to ride. The vibration I just plain hated. At this point I'm about 80/20 leaning towards the SD, but I haven't ruled out the FZ totally.
Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I looked for the Ktm as well, last spring, but the comfort wasn't me when sitting on it. I then realised that service was every 4k miles, and heard on the ktm forum how rubbish the fuel economy is.

Having had the MT(FZ) for nearly 4 months and 2000 miles later, my smile have only become bigger and bigger.
The Yamaha is a Fantastic fun and versatile bike. I've planned a trip to the Alps this summer, so really looking forward to test it for touring as well. For commuting it is great, call it superb.
The engine is just amazing and gives the play and able to do the hard work for you at any given time, whatever you throw at it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked for the Ktm as well, last spring, but the comfort wasn't me when sitting on it. I then realised that service was every 4k miles, and heard on the ktm forum how rubbish the fuel economy is.

Having had the MT(FZ) for nearly 4 months and 2000 miles later, my smile have only become bigger and bigger.
The Yamaha is a Fantastic fun and versatile bike. I've planned a trip to the Alps this summer, so really looking forward to test it for touring as well. For commuting it is great, call it superb.
The engine is just amazing and gives the play and able to do the hard work for you at any given time, whatever you throw at it.
Thanks. What was wrong with comfort? Seat to high or Hard? I tried the FZ and thought the seat was harder than I'd like. I know it's replaceable item but... The FZ is $7990 right now and the SD is $6990 but 7 years older with 14K on the clock. However the SD already has the good brakes and suspension, which I've read the FZ is dangerously soft... Any opinion on that?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I wouldn't call the FZ brakes soft- they may fade on a track but in the city I have no problems getting the right grab. The rear is almost too instantaneous. Stopping is not dangerous at all.

As for your dilemma, I am not sure a 7 year old, 14k miles old SD could stand up to a brand new, more reliable FZ. I love KTMs and my ideal bike is the SMT- touring meets supermoto fun! The sticker price kept me away.
KTM streetbikes have vastly improved over the years and the character they possess is second to none. I had the baby Duke 200 and it blows away every single 250cc machine in the market- you need to ride it to believe it. If you want hooligan fun and dont care about service intervals and long term reliability and want something that has "character" (however you define it), the SD is for you. If you want a similar hooligan fun but with added versatility comfort and reliability of a newer Japanese machine, the FZ is a no-brainer. You could take the SD out to tour but not sure you will be as comfy. The ergos are almost similar as well- though the KTM is a bit more hard edged I would say. In the end, its about what you want from your bike.

However, if price is not a factor and you had to choose between the FZ and the new SuperDuke 1290, I would say go for the latter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks. What was wrong with comfort? Seat to high or Hard? I tried the FZ and thought the seat was harder than I'd like. I know it's replaceable item but... The FZ is $7990 right now and the SD is $6990 but 7 years older with 14K on the clock. However the SD already has the good brakes and suspension, which I've read the FZ is dangerously soft... Any opinion on that?
The comfort... I just didn't feel I was sitting right on it, like I had to reach to the handlebars, so would lean too much, and then the SM style kind of disappears.
I then tried several other bikes, Ducati Multistrada, Husquarna Nuda and others, and the Ktm just felt ...not right compared to any of the others.

For the brakes, I feel they are sharp and as good as spot on for the value of the bike. Have in mind, it is not a top notch fully blooded racer with 6 calipers 400mm brake discs.
I had a Multistrada 1200 before, and those brakes compared - even with ABS, they where spongy as melted butter...
It is likely that the brakes might feel better on the KTM, but also have in mind the age and mileage of the vehicle. It is now you will start see the bigger bills coming in.

For the suspension, I'm happy with the front, the rear could have had a bit more, but I'm not one of the smallest guys out there (120kg+), but I have never felt the suspension, either front or rear, ever have bottomed out, I'm currently running the rear in pos 5 out of 7, so still have got room for adjustment.
I personally like a comfy ride (that was about the only positive I can say from the Ducati ;) ), I've done the race style where everything is stiff as a board, but can't be bothered with that anymore.

It's a question of taste and preferences.
But have you actually test ridden one yet? If not - get out, and see if it trackers you.

I really fancy the MT. I've had about 12 bikes since I started with my GS500 in '97, and been swinging my leg over several 600's, GSX-R 750, Street Triple (yaiks) and multistrada 1200. The MT beats everyone of them to me - it is the best bike I've ever had.

Good luck with your decision ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh, I forgot the seat-bit.
Yes you would have that impression at first. Move an inch back and it gets comfy. Move an inch forward, and you go Supermoto style, so feel free to flick it into A-mode and have tons of fun :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, I forgot the seat-bit.
Yes you would have that impression at first. Move an inch back and it gets comfy. Move an inch forward, and you go Supermoto style, so feel free to flick it into A-mode and have tons of fun :)
Thanks I appreciate your input. Some very wise points to consider.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The comfort... I just didn't feel I was sitting right on it, like I had to reach to the handlebars, so would lean too much, and then the SM style kind of disappears.
I then tried several other bikes, Ducati Multistrada, Husquarna Nuda and others, and the Ktm just felt ...not right compared to any of the others.

For the brakes, I feel they are sharp and as good as spot on for the value of the bike. Have in mind, it is not a top notch fully blooded racer with 6 calipers 400mm brake discs.
I had a Multistrada 1200 before, and those brakes compared - even with ABS, they where spongy as melted butter...
It is likely that the brakes might feel better on the KTM, but also have in mind the age and mileage of the vehicle. It is now you will start see the bigger bills coming in.

For the suspension, I'm happy with the front, the rear could have had a bit more, but I'm not one of the smallest guys out there (120kg+), but I have never felt the suspension, either front or rear, ever have bottomed out, I'm currently running the rear in pos 5 out of 7, so still have got room for adjustment.
I personally like a comfy ride (that was about the only positive I can say from the Ducati ;) ), I've done the race style where everything is stiff as a board, but can't be bothered with that anymore.

It's a question of taste and preferences.
But have you actually test ridden one yet? If not - get out, and see if it trackers you.

I really fancy the MT. I've had about 12 bikes since I started with my GS500 in '97, and been swinging my leg over several 600's, GSX-R 750, Street Triple (yaiks) and multistrada 1200. The MT beats everyone of them to me - it is the best bike I've ever had.

Good luck with your decision ;)
Went back this afternoon for full on comparison, learned a lot. Got to spend some time on both bikes, back and forth. I have to say up front I was pretty sure going in I'd come home with the Duke, but... Turns out the bike is owned by the parts manager at the dealership, bike was well maintained, not abused in anyway and spectacular in every way performance wise and look. In the end though I chose the FZ, it's a great bike at a great price and suits my needs a bit better than The Duke would. I hate to say that, but practicality, comfort and part availability won out. If I could I'd buy them both... I will say that SD990 is gonna make somebody a very, very nice bike. I just never felt quite comfortable on the Duke, but the FZ was like an ole shoe, just put it on and went.

·
Registered
176 Posts
FZ09
90 USD for front spring set + 50 dollar fork oil change ?
ZX6/10R shock
100 USD ECU reflash

for less than 8500 you get one hell of a bike
you can take out the spring from the equation if you weight 140-160 pounds.

FZ09 is a no brainer if you live in the states.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just curious, not comfortable in what way on the Duke?
I guess the riding position and overall feel. The SD felt larger and I guess it is. I'm not saying the Duke is a bad bike quite the contrary and I think I could get use to its feel very quickly. The best way I can differentiate the two bikes is the Super Duke is serious, all business. The FZ is a bit more playful and relaxed, especially with the adjustable modes that you can change for conditions or experience level. If you want it to be the FZ can be, "Game On!" Or you can just putt around town and it won't complain. I wish I could own both.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just got my FZ09 YESTERDAY! I have never risen a KTM but the fz09 has a monster engine. Suspension seems a bit soft. I have not tried to adjust. Seat is a also firm. The KTM is way more $. Yamaha hit as home run here!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts