Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to switch my exhaust over the winter and I'm still debating between the Akrapovic Ti and the carbon versions. The Carbon is lighter and less expensive, so I guess the choice comes down to sound level. Does anyone here happen to know the decibel output of the FZ/MT 09 stock exhaust vs the two Akrapovic offerings? Legality aside I actually want the loudest choice so I'll be more noticeable by car drivers while commuting.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think you'll want to go with the akra carbon w/out the db killer

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you'll want to go with the akra carbon w/out the db killer
So the carbon is the loudest and seems to make more power also.. The only thing I don't like about the carbon Akra exhaust is the position of the muffler, which is much more exposed and unprotected.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah the ti is the only true tucked away, side exit slash cut system that was truly designed for this bike. All the rest of the exhaust stick out and don't integrate as well to the bike. The ti is plenty loud as well with insert removed. I think it's perfect with the insert.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
So the carbon is the loudest and seems to make more power also.. The only thing I don't like about the carbon Akra exhaust is the position of the muffler, which is much more exposed and unprotected.
I agree. I like the way the Akra TI looks but I like the price of the carbon...decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed carbon akra last night, kept the baffle in and it's perfect. Without the baffle will be too loud in my opinion especially if you live in the suburbs etc it's a bit louder compared to stock and noticeably deeper base at idle. But then when you give it the beans it just screams. Quiet when you want it to be but race bike sound when your on the stops. Little shoots of flames on decel makes the smile grow larger. After the short 10min ride, it transforms the bike and gives you the true triple sound. Love it

In terms of decibels recorded on my iPhone app lol
Stock idle. 91
Stock 5000rev 95

Carbon akra w baffle
Idle. 99
5000rev 104

That's just using free app on phone couple of feet behind the exhaust. Not sure of accuracy though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Accuracy isn't that important. It's the relative difference measured on the same device. That exhaust is significantly louder than stock. Thanks for posting. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the carbon and its louuuuuuuuud without the baffle. I haven't heard the TI version in person so I cant comment, but the carbon is LOUD! Love it!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Before you install an expensive exhaust I would try and find someone who has one on their FZ and ask if you could ride it.

I remember one post on this forum where the guy was asking if anyone wanted to buy his now slightly used full exhaust system. He said the sound was so loud that it drove him nuts and the bike had lost that bottom end snap that he had enjoyed so much. Must say that I would agree with his assessment.

I have ridden a couple FZ-09's with full exhaust and frankly I much prefer the way my stocker runs compared to them. I absolutely love the explosive off idle bottom end snap you get with the stock setup.

Now before everyone corrects me I must say that I am aware that some of this loss of low end snap is a result of their ECU reflash. This too is something I have not done as I don't want to lose that snap. My right hand is ok with the "twitchy throttle."

For me it would be a giant waste of money to end up with a bike that is not as fun to ride. IMHO.

Bottom line... whatever turns your crank.

·
Registered
962 Posts
... Legality aside I actually want the loudest choice so I'll be more noticeable by car drivers while commuting.
AwJeez_NotThisShitAgain.jpg

They made it a law that motorcycles must have their headlights on all the time to try and save lives, but the cars still claim they don't see us - so it should be the cars that are required to have their headlights on so that we can see them easier. If you like the sound of loud pipes then more power to you - but if you're expecting cars not to hit you because they heard you coming - then it's been nice knowing you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 8175

They made it a law that motorcycles must have their headlights on all the time to try and save lives, but the cars still claim they don't see us - so it should be the cars that are required to have their headlights on so that we can see them easier. If you like the sound of loud pipes then more power to you - but if you're expecting cars not to hit you because they heard you coming - then it's been nice knowing you.
I'm not expecting one single safety measure to save me but every little thing helps. I wear a hi-vis helmet and backpack and there is reflective piping ing my jacket, but ultimately it's up to me to see danger and avoid it. The problem is when you're commuting to work you're always in someone's blind spot, and if my exhaust will make even 10% of drivers aware of my presence I'll take those extra odds.

Let's look at the alternative I could get an electric bike that makes no sound at all and wear all black everything, but then I would be actively trying camouflage myself so cars don't know I'm there.

Reactions: Spook

·
Registered
196 Posts
TS001Ox.jpg

:p

While I agree with you in a way, the pipes will ultimately do nothing. The drivers that hear you coming were already paying attention, it's the ones are aren't that you should be afraid of.

·
Registered
962 Posts
On the electric bike you can hear the traffic easier, on the loud bike they can hear you easier. I've made eye contact with people as they crowd me expecting me to move. Knowing I was there didn't make a difference to them. Knowing they were there made a difference to me. With loud pipes you're restricting your ability to hear others with the expectation that they will avoid you. I guess I just have trust issues.

·
Registered
957 Posts
View attachment 8180

:p

While I agree with you in a way, the pipes will ultimately do nothing. The drivers that hear you coming were already paying attention, it's the ones are aren't that you should be afraid of.
If a driver is in a state of mind to where your loud exhaust is going to make a difference, then what's going to happen is it's going to spook/startle them, which is the LAST thing you want if you're remotely near them.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're all talking crazy! I don't think a slowly approaching bike with a moderate sound level will startle anyone, nor can I get eye contact from a car that is in front of me in the next lane. I not looking for Harley open pipes loud, just a little more than stock but not enough to get me arrested. If I get noticed by a few more people than I currently do then the pipe is doing me a favor as well as sounding sweet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to switch my exhaust over the winter and I'm still debating between the Akrapovic Ti and the carbon versions. The Carbon is lighter and less expensive, so I guess the choice comes down to sound level. Does anyone here happen to know the decibel output of the FZ/MT 09 stock exhaust vs the two Akrapovic offerings? Legality aside I actually want the loudest choice so I'll be more noticeable by car drivers while commuting.
I have the Toce slip on and I get 116 dB

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Dude, this post is almost 6 years old

1 - 17 of 17 Posts