Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about people needing earplugs while riding after they change the exhaust. I want to change it for looks and sound, but not to the extreme that I would feel the need for earplugs. Does anyone know what the decibel level differences from the stock to aftermarket exhausts are? I like the longer can look from the Graves. I would search out someone near me with the another FZ 09 to compare, but it seems that I'm the only one in my immediate area that owns one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most people wear earplugs either way to cut wind noise, most aftermarket cans come with a removable silencer insert that leaves theater volume up to you.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wear earplugs all the time, BUT, my Akrapovic pipe with DB limiter installed is not obnoxiously loud. Which part of Pennsyltucky are you located in?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The stock exhaust it very quite compared to my Arrow full exhaust. With the arrow exhaust and silencer in the sound level is very comfortable with a full face shoei helmet on. Some helmets will help block out the noise more than others. But I have had loud bikes before and I have never worn ear plugs. I wonder if people wear them more for long distance rides? I would imagine buzzing at 80 mph on the interstate might get old after a while.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ear plugs are for wind man... I dont think it matters how loud exhaust is.. Wind is louder

I wear shark raw" helmet, has goggles and highly ventilated mask shield, so wind is loud for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wear earplugs all the time, BUT, my Akrapovic pipe with DB limiter installed is not obnoxiously loud. Which part of Pennsyltucky are you located in?
Central PA roughly, DuBois, PA. right along I-80. Pittsburg is about 2 hours and Philadelphia is a little over 3 hours. Those are the closest owners and major metropolitan areas that I have seen people posting about. It feels kind of cool that I seem to be the only one to have an FZ 09 within 2-3 hours from home, but it sucks too. I haven't devoted a major search yet either. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Earplugs for wind noise. I personally don't feel that I would ever need ear plugs for just wind noise. I read that others wear them because the aftermarkets are so loud that they cause headaches for some. I really don't like the sack of potatoes hanging underneath, and how quiet it is. I really like the look of the Graves with the longer can, but I can't tell for certain, what the videos truly sound like. I am flaky enough to want more sound when I crack it open, and I know I'm not alone. I noticed that most sport bikes around me are fairly quiet when putting around, but when opened up they SCREAM! That is what I want. Something at idle or just putting around would be quiet enough, but when pushed will sound awesome.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
With everyone here, mostly wind noise. I can barely hear the exhaust when cruising. WOT is a different ball game! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Riding without ear protection will eventually cause hearing loss, that is fact if you ride long enough. Hearing loss is a chronic condition......something that happens over time. It happens so slowly that you don't realize it's happening until it's too late. Hearing loss is irreversible too, so the decision is yours, but getting older has enough drawbacks without throwing hearing loss in there too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Earplugs for wind noise. I personally don't feel that I would ever need ear plugs for just wind noise. I read that others wear them because the aftermarkets are so loud that they cause headaches for some. I really don't like the sack of potatoes hanging underneath, and how quiet it is. I really like the look of the Graves with the longer can, but I can't tell for certain, what the videos truly sound like. I am flaky enough to want more sound when I crack it open, and I know I'm not alone. I noticed that most sport bikes around me are fairly quiet when putting around, but when opened up they SCREAM! That is what I want. Something at idle or just putting around would be quiet enough, but when pushed will sound awesome.
If that's the sound you're after you've got the wrong bike. That comes from the traditional I4 bikes, the triple on the FZ is a different beast altogether and has a seriously different exhaust note...still awesome though!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Central PA roughly, DuBois, PA. right along I-80. Pittsburg is about 2 hours and Philadelphia is a little over 3 hours. Those are the closest owners and major metropolitan areas that I have seen people posting about. It feels kind of cool that I seem to be the only one to have an FZ 09 within 2-3 hours from home, but it sucks too. I haven't devoted a major search yet either. :(
I'm an 1hr 30min from you in Altoona and own a graphite. There is another guy I've ridden with from Bellwood that also has a graphite. We are the only two around Altoona that I know of. I know there's a few running around state college as well. Myself and the guy I know are both on stock exhaust for now though, so can't help you there.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Earplugs not needed with the M4 but I wear in ear headphones to cut down on wind noise. I used to have a WR250X with an FMF powercore 4 and earplugs were needed due to the bass of the noise. The FZ has a deeper tone but not as bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
andy8199 said:
Central PA roughly, DuBois, PA. right along I-80. Pittsburg is about 2 hours and Philadelphia is a little over 3 hours. Those are the closest owners and major metropolitan areas that I have seen people posting about. It feels kind of cool that I seem to be the only one to have an FZ 09 within 2-3 hours from home, but it sucks too. I haven't devoted a major search yet either.
I'm an 1hr 30min from you in Altoona and own a graphite. There is another guy I've ridden with from Bellwood that also has a graphite. We are the only two around Altoona that I know of. I know there's a few running around state college as well. Myself and the guy I know are both on stock exhaust for now though, so can't help you there.
NittanyXT in State College has an Arrow. I haven't pinged him yet about checking it out, but was hoping to sometime.

I did the free 'Stellmon mod' - the difference from stock is slight in person and undetectable via GoPro http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/1020-how-modify-your-stock-exhaust-2.html#post53057

·
Registered
198 Posts
jdrxb9, former Buell owner? Let me know if you want to hear the Arrow in person, I'll be doing some rammin' around this weekend, maybe meet up somewhere around Altoona?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have the Akra Titanium here and to me it's just perfect. If I ride for a few hours and highway, I definitely use ear plugs. For cruising around town I don't and they sound nice and you can finally hear the exhaust note, all the time.

I didn't dare remove the DB killer yet, but I suspect it GETS QUITE LOUD!!! :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I run the Arrow exhaust with out the silencer and it's loud babY !!!! I wore ear plugs the day I installed it then did some dyno work and left it out and I have to wear ear plugs.I have a Arai Defiant helmet and when I had the stock exhaust the helmet didn't make hardly any wind noise unless I opened up the air vents on top of the helmet so there was no need for ear plugs till the weather was hotter.The Arai Defiant was specifically made for the up right bike it came out this year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
All groups have used essentially similar techniques: a miniature microphone is placed at the rider's ear under the helmet and sound levels are measured in various riding conditions. All these studies show excessive wind noise around the helmet—about 90 dB(A) at 60 km/h and increasing linearly when plotted against the log of speed, to reach 110 dB(A) at 160 km/h
unless you like tinnitus, should always wear ear plugs when on the bike

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Have the Akra Titanium here and to me it's just perfect. If I ride for a few hours and highway, I definitely use ear plugs. For cruising around town I don't and they sound nice and you can finally hear the exhaust note, all the time.

I didn't dare remove the DB killer yet, but I suspect it GETS QUITE LOUD!!! :)
Man them old country roads look ruff!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts