Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking out riding pants that aren't super expensive, and will help protect against abrasion for the day I hit the pavement.
I will be wearing jeans for the short trips here and there, but I'd feel much better wearing leather pants for the days that I go canyon carving. I cannot afford track days, so buying leathers for that is out of the question.
Well, anyway, leather overpants are kind of what I am looking for. Not chaps. :tongue4: Maybe textile pants, but the ones I have tried on don't seem to fit very well and the armor sort of flops around the knees all willy-nilly. They kind of feel puffy/baggy and hot. They'd have to fit ok and provide a decent level of protection. It'd be nice if they looked stylish too. :cool:

These look decent (currently my front running choice)- Icon Compound Leather Overpant (they have a mesh/leather version too for $75 less)
Icon Compound Overpants - 36/Stealth : Amazon.com : Automotive

Price looks too good to be true on these (how are the seams, the zippers, the fit?)
Xelement Men's Leather Motorcycle Over Pants w/ Side Zipper & Snaps - LeatherUp.com

Any suggestions from those more experienced that me in this department?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a pair of FIRST brand leather over pants. No armor but lined. They have two front pockets, one rear. and rear zipper to get to rear jean pockets. They have zippers all the way up and laced up sides for waist adjustments and has belt loops. Cost me 189.00 at a local leather shop. I have had them 2 years now. Easy on and off over my boots. Not as warm in 45 degree as I would like but ok. A little warm above 85degrees but would be ok if you had on shorts under them. Not too bulky over my jeans. A little more snug if I wear thermals under the jeans.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Regarding armor flopping around. It's a common problem. One cure for this is to wear a separate armor suit under your outer layer.

I've got bohn armor upper and lower armor. Two pair actually. One is for summer and the material is thin and let's a ton of air through.

http://www.bohnarmor.com/

Forcefield is another brand that makes under armor. More expensive than bohn I think but may be better.

·
Banned
161 Posts
AGVsport Willow. They're incredible....I couldn't praise them enough. I think they're about 200 bucks...have a full zipper or a partial zipper on the waist for connecting jackets. Have kneepucks and great padding.

Had the opportunity to crash test them out at Deal's Gap, smacked the ground at over 50 mph and slid down a steep ravine...the pants have a small tear near one of the pockets up front and a small tear on the left knee seam, still good for at least one more really bad get-off. Had I been wearing jeans/unpadded pants I think I would've broken my left knee and probably needed skin graphs.

AGVsport Willow >'s

·
Banned
161 Posts
I got the AGVsport Willow pants, agvsport Willow gloves, agvsport Monza jacket, and Cortech boots. Basically a full leather suit, track-day approved. I think all-in-all it probably cost me between 700 and 800 bucks.

Very much worth it! If you're gonna participate in a motorsport like these you need to drop the money to protect yourself!! $700 something dollars for EVERYTHING you need in the way of gear is not bad when you look around at all these $1000+ 1 peice suits.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
AGVsport Willow. They're incredible....I couldn't praise them enough. I think they're about 200 bucks...have a full zipper or a partial zipper on the waist for connecting jackets. Have kneepucks and great padding.

Had the opportunity to crash test them out at Deal's Gap, smacked the ground at over 50 mph and slid down a steep ravine...the pants have a small tear near one of the pockets up front and a small tear on the left knee seam, still good for at least one more really bad get-off. Had I been wearing jeans/unpadded pants I think I would've broken my left knee and probably needed skin graphs.

AGVsport Willow >'s
I thought only squids crashed their bikes? Something about he who is without sin cast the 1st stone?
Glad your gear held up though, I need to get new pants myself.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Only I dont think I said squids crash their bikes. You're probably a squid, though. Rest assured.

I crash like a badass, most of y'all bump into minivans and slide out on manhole covers...all city street stuff. LAME

·
Banned
161 Posts
Ive been riding long enough to where I've crashed literally hundreds of times. None of them were squidly crashes.

I have a feeling all the guys on here who have already wrecked their brand new Yamaha's probably needed help picking their bikes up....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ive been riding long enough to where I've crashed literally hundreds of times. None of them were squidly crashes.

I have a feeling all the guys on here who have already wrecked their brand new Yamaha's probably needed help picking their bikes up....

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Ive been riding long enough to where I've crashed literally hundreds of times. None of them were squidly crashes...
Something like that requires an explanation. Do you mean both dirt and pavement, simple drops and crashes? In the dirt if you just pick up the bike and keep going I don't think it counts as a crash.

An example of a street bike drop that I don't count as a crash: Going from Indiana to Alaska in 1979 on a Suzuki GS750 that weighed about 530 wet plus a Windjammer and trip stuff, hate to think of the total. Pulled off to stop on the lightly slopped shoulder, tired, I let it lean a little to the right and then couldn't stop it. Beached whale. In the middle of nowhere but before I could start unpacking a couple of guys in a pickup stopped and helped.

If counting street and dirt (play bikes), drops and crashes yeah I have hundreds too. Just pavement, non drop, um 15 or so, but half+ on tracks. One street crash I couldn't ride away from ([email protected]), one or 2 track crashes I couldn't repair at the track (simple low side, in the grass the bike started massive flipping).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could go with a pair of textile pants for slide protection and keep armor underneath. Icon has a pretty affordable set of knee protectors that use d3o material, supposed to be lighter and less restrictive. Then you can basically wear whatever you want over them, leathers or w/e depending on how much rash protection you're going for, and the weather.

Good luck.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Just do yourself a favor and get AGVSport Willow pants. And don't buy a motorcycle that you can't pick up off the ground lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts