Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Finally got back out to Deals Gap, aka Dragon, last weekend to test out the FZ-09 since getting the ECU flashed by Stoltec. Some of you may remember my first trip that was less than ideal due to the throttle response issues. http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/4229-deal-s-gap-fz-09-frustrated.html

Well the flash makes a huge difference as we already know, so the 2nd trip was much better in that area, but now the suspension limits are very apparent. After a few runs, once the road/tires and my body had a chance to warm up, I was able to find a fairly comfortable pace, but it was still way off what I remember on my old ninja. I can finally use the motor now, but there just isn't the front end feel to be able to really throw it over in a turn. It has a tendency to understeer under most cornering conditions and the rear is way too bouncy. The bike is light and flickable for sure, so it's fine for normal street use, but it just doesnt feel very stable or "happy" at full lean. It feels like it wants to wash out from you for no reason. To be fair, I haven't even adjusted the sag or anything on mine yet since I plan on a shock swap soon, and the road seems like it has degraded a bit over the years. But still, one run and it's obvious how Yamaha got this bike priced at $8k.

Well here is a little video as promised. I'm using a chest mounted Gopro. I like the chest mount better than others since it gives the most realistic riding POV, but it only works on bikes with upright riding position so I haven't had a chance to use it much on sport bikes. Hope you guys enjoy.

·
Registered
885 Posts
One picture worth a thousand words... one video worth even more?

I'm still riding with stock ECU and suspension after a year of FZ-09 ownership, but this is one of the most compelling posts I have read and seen to reconsider some modifications. Also, the fast-motion video while following slower vehicles was inspired. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice riding FLOJOE. Looks like you had fun. If we had roads like this around Houston, I'd be compelled to get an ECU reflash and upgrade my suspension as well.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
nice video..The first thing I noticed is that you dont even have any preload on the forks...yes, the suspension is bad, but you can make it at least tolerable with a bit of work...from what I can see, you handle the bike pretty well...you may be surprised at what a little tweaking can do.

And once you have tweaked it all you can, go ahead and order up some new suspension..this bike really needs it :)

Reactions: Roundabout and beck

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Nice run Flo.....looks like you had a little BCSO company at the 3 minute mark!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not a fan of double yellow passing. Most of the cars did move over which is cool. Not everyone does unfortunately.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One picture worth a thousand words... one video worth even more?

I'm still riding with stock ECU and suspension after a year of FZ-09 ownership, but this is one of the most compelling posts I have read and seen to reconsider some modifications. Also, the fast-motion video while following slower vehicles was inspired. Thanks for posting.
I can see not messing with the suspension for most normal street riding, but not the ECU. Sounds like you guys have a free option now from Yamaha. Kinda sucks for us that spent the money, but hopefully the Stoltec is still better overall. I appreciate the comment on the editing, I find it annoying when people make people watch all the boring stuff, but at the same time I wanted it to be the whole run from the overlook to the line.

nice video..The first thing I noticed is that you dont even have any preload on the forks...yes, the suspension is bad, but you can make it at least tolerable with a bit of work...from what I can see, you handle the bike pretty well...you may be surprised at what a little tweaking can do.

And once you have tweaked it all you can, go ahead and order up some new suspension..this bike really needs it :)
You are right, I have been lazy. Should have been done by now, but for riding around Nashville I don't really care. Plus, I have an Ohlins shock on my currently sidelined race Kawi zx6r. After finding the conversion thread on here, I've been planning on doing the swap, either for the Ohlins or the stock 6r shock I have sitting around. Planned on doing it before heading back to Gap but got busy with work and didn't get around to it.

Nice run Flo.....looks like you had a little BCSO company at the 3 minute mark!
Haha, nah, that was one of Killboys photographers sitting on the side of the road. He has a 350z with decals that look a lot like the BCSO at a glance

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a fan of double yellow passing. Most of the cars did move over which is cool. Not everyone does unfortunately.
Not going to defend it. I understand some people's position that it is never acceptable even if "clear."

People/traffic has actually been really cool the last few trips there. I've had my share of bastards over the years though...

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm with you on the front end feel (or lack there of) when pushing it on the FZ.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Sweet. Are you running with the stock curb feelers on the pegs? It sounded like you were scraping them on the right side a bunch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet. Are you running with the stock curb feelers on the pegs? It sounded like you were scraping them on the right side a bunch.
Nope, took them off after the last trip to the Gap because the kept hitting and scaring the crap out of me. The scraping sound is the actual pegs I think. Maybe my boot...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts