Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it eventually HAD to happen. The FZ 09 is starting to become a very popular bike and it seems that today, Sunday, October 27, 2013........there was a "Double Triple" up there....Oh Yea!......

Damn, that picture makes me look about 250 lbs......in actuality, I'm about 195 before gear! Not sure on Stillkickin....

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Thats awesome. How's the weather over there these days? I wanted to go all summer but my wife couldn't drive the cage around for the past few months... long story. No alcohol or speed fine related.

But If the weather is not too cold that would be nice. What would be the latest I can go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats awesome. How's the weather over there these days? I wanted to go all summer but my wife couldn't drive the cage around for the past few months... long story. No alcohol or speed fine related.

But If the weather is not too cold that would be nice. What would be the latest I can go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Weather here is getting iffy .....one day might be 50 degrees and this coming weekend might be in the low 70s.....you just cant plan anything for sure. Fortunately, from my driveway to the start of the Gap is only 18 miles, so I can get up in the morning, drink some coffee, check the forum, and when it warms up a bit, I'm over there in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Weather here is getting iffy .....one day might be 50 degrees and this coming weekend might be in the low 70s.....you just cant plan anything for sure. Fortunately, from my driveway to the start of the Gap is only 18 miles, so I can get up in the morning, drink some coffee, check the forum, and when it warms up a bit, I'm over there in about 30 minutes.
Lucky you! I'm 18 miles away from a curve! LOL Ok... that would be next year I guess?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice! Funny to see the two different tire treads. I'd love to make it down there, but it'll have to be next year, and with a lot more riding experience.
I you remember though, I changed out the S-20's as soon as I brought the bike home, for the Q3's that are on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic,Triple. As far as the weight goes, I'm about the same (195ish) and except for a couple of ups/downs, have been the same weight for (gulp) about 55 years.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Stillkickin,

What tires are you running on your bike? Those stock? I know triple swapped his out so the treads were very noticeable between your two bikes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey, cj;
They are the stock Dunlop Sportmax D214. They are made in Japan, not the U.S, and are "pretty good". They don't seem to be as sticky as the Dunlop Sportmax Q2's on my bandit, but overall, not bad for a stock tire. I've not been able to find out whether they are single or dual compound.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mine came with bridgestones. I wonder what determined what came with each bike?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would guess, as Triple mentioned to me yesterday, that they already have dozens or hundreds already mounted and the assembly line puts on whatever is handed to them. That makes sense, since mine is #151 and his is #143, and you would ASSUME they'd have the same tires, but his were 'Stones and mine are 'Laps.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That makes sense.

There are probably no conspiracies involving which tires went on which bike and which bike # ended up in which state. BORING! ha ha

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Mine came with bridgestones. I wonder what determined what came with each bike?
They buy the tires in huge allotments to reduce the costs, and having more than one supplier allows them more bargaining power on price. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason which tire they put on which bike as long as it was made to their original specification.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What impresses me is that both you guys look appropriately geared up. I don't know if you only gear up for track rides, or that's standard apparel, but it sure makes a lot more sense if you ever put the bike down. I've been to Europe a few times, and everyone who was riding out in the countryside had on full leathers and helmets. I was starting to wonder if full leathers were required by law. They seem to take riding quite seriously in places like Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.

So many riders in my area roam the highways in T-shirts and shorts. Last month a girl passed me on the freeway riding a Sportster. She was decked out in "Daisy Duke" cut off shorts. On a hotness scale it scored a 10. On a sensibility scale, zero.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
There is an expression, "All the gear all the time", Vern believes in it, I don't recall what Kickin has said about it. Even back in the '70s I always wore a full coverage helmet on the street but only covered my skin with jeans etc. Hitting a fawn at 70MPH in 2000 shortly after starting to wear race leathers made me a believer in ATGATT.

ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time - Motorcycle Safety | atgatt.org

I don't recall the statistics, but sport bikes are far more popular and in a knowledgeable way in Europe than the States whether it is watching road racing or being a rider. We have a lot of "squids" though I don't know if calling them that dates me lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Willowbilly;
I'm sure Triple, like me, does not leave the driveway without the protection of armored clothing and a real good helmet.
I have never been to a trackday, and started riding twisties in '07 when I got my Bandit, when I was 68 years old.
As far as experience is concerned, I've raced just about every dirt venue, including scrambles, motocross, enduros, hillclimbs, field meets, observed trials (now called mototrial), etc.
Just thinking about a crash without good protection, especially to your head, gives me chills!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Greg is correct, I never leave the house without full gear...hot, cold, or whatever. Imagine being in a full leather suit, helmet, gloves, riding boots and its 109 degrees in the SHADE....that's typical in the southeast during a trackday in the summer....but it's still ATGATT

1 - 20 of 30 Posts