Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got new Pirelli Angel GT's friday. The stock tires had the stock center rib balance weight on the wheels. Well, with the new tires, they kept the front stock style center rib weight. But, on the rear, they put on .75oz of STICK ON weights, almost to the edge of the right of the rim. Now, instead of it being super smooth, I have a slightly sketchy shimmy imbalance above 70 mph. I called the dealership and they told me that's how they do it and it zeroed out when they mounted the new tires. They told me to bring it in, which I can't until next Saturday. But they said they don't know what they can do?

Should I demand they put on a center rib weight?

Should I just remove the stick on weights and see if it improves?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
interesting....

·
Registered
962 Posts
If they put weight(s) on only one edge of the wheel then they balanced it only on one plane - which is all the wheel balancer can tell. But if they don't understand that the weights need to also be equal side to side then they just don't get it. If that is the way the dealership says they do it then don't trust them to work on your bike - for anything. Stick on weights are fine - but any time you can't put a weight in the center then you cut it in half and put half on each side.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've always had good results balancing my own wheels for street and track. Sometimes with clip on rib weights, often with the generic stick-ons.

I didn't have a way to test for the side to side balance so I put the weights as close to center as reasonable. I'd wonder if the dealer put the weights towards the side because they have a machine that indicates that's where it should be or because they were sloppy.

For the wheel with the center weight maybe it is the original and the dealer thought it was close enough but it isn't.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What is the side to side balance called? Axial? At least for cars don't professional balancing machines test for that? Do any motorcycle machines do it?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Go to a dealer that uses the beads. You won't regret it.
how do these work? in conjunction with some adhesive or do they just roll around in your wheel the whole time?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Davinci, yes the beads work like the goop balancer/sealers, they move around in the tire, there are plenty of riders that like them.

Personally I'm a fan of changing and balancing my own tires with weights, works well, easy. Well it was easy enough 12 years ago when I last did it, since then my hands and back have gotten older and I hear that side walls are stiffer lol. So will have to see how it goes with my 09 tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I mount and balance all of my own tires (six bikes) and use the stick on wheel weights...never the center mount style. When I had my 1000RR track bike,I had it up to an indicated 176 MPH quite a few times at Road Atlanta and it was just as smooth as a baby's butt...zero vibration. I'm guessing they didn't do a very good balance job.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
154 Posts
how do these work? in conjunction with some adhesive or do they just roll around in your wheel the whole time?

Used them in my previous ride and they worked great.

Reactions: EdVR and Travis

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm with TripleThreat; if you're detecting a vibration it's most likely due to a poor balancing job. Just like TripleThreat I use the stick on's for my track bike and I've never had an issue. When I first went to the race track I asked the tire guy why he didn't split the weights side to side. "Doesn't make a difference," was the response I got. I might split weights side to side if it took more than six 1/4 oz weights though. That said, if you're doing it right you should never need that many.

The beads are sweet though. I've used them on bikes in the past and I use them in my daily driver truck as well. They eliminated the steering wheel shake at 70 mph.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
2nd vote for dynamic beads....never used them but I have never heard a single complaint about them. DO IT!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have heard complaints about the beads, when you go to change a tire they can cause a mess. And I have several mates who have tried them said they did not work and went back to weights. Personally, I am skeptic on the bead thing.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
If it seems too good to be true.........it probably is!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
those center mount clip on weights are sold through Yamaha and are fairly expensive (for what they are). Not surprised that the dealership is not including them with the mount/balance of the tire (customers are usually not charged for weights used to balance the tire, but the sticky ones are cheap). you can order them in various weights and use as necessary. the Yamaha part numbers are around here somewhere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts