Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted PR4's on my bike and the dealer hooked it up at discount. The problem is I noticed when I got home that the rear is a PR4 GT while the front is the regular PR4. So I know the PR4 GT is meant for "heavier GT Class bikes." Is this something I can keep on the bike and save myself from hassle or should I get the rear replaced?

·
Registered
320 Posts
You paid for it, I wouldn't accept it. GT has stiffer rubber in the sidewalls and maybe elsewhere, made for a heavy bike.

It's like ordering a burger and getting a chicken sandwich... that cost $300.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Tell the dealer to order the correct tire at his expense. When it arrives...make him change it...at his expense.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would consider it a big deal and would call the dealer ASAP to inform them of the problem and ask them to replace the tire with the correct one for your bike as they were to have done in the first place. Hopefully, they'll stand up and do the right thing. If they give you crap, I'd make a really, really big deal about it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When they "hooked you up" at a discount, did they tell you it was the GT tire? If so, then you will have to sell it on CL or ebay and pay for the new one. If they did not, then they will have to cover it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
That is not a tire mismatch that will matter at all, except, that the GT will be a bit stiffer construction and weigh a bit more as a result.

Functionally and safety, I doubt there is much of a difference that will matter to 99% of riders. You are already talking about a sport touring tire so you already gave up a lot of stickiness of a sport tire.

However, if you went in and said put "PR4s on my bike" and they put a PR4 on the front and a PR4GT on the rear, you did not get what you paid for.

If the dealer said "I have this set of PR4s for your bike as a steal of a deal" and pointed to the two tires you got, then you got what you paid for.

Reactions: Obijack and sparker

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the work order it says 'Pilot Road 4' for both front and rear. Thanks everyone for the feedback. After reading through the responses I decided to give them a call. They apologized right away and told me they had the right tire in stock and to come in they could swap it out ASAP--no charge. It was a hassle having to make the ride out there but the bike does feel better now with the right tire on. Thanks!

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
No harm, no foul I guess. Glad ya got it worked out and the dealer agreed to fix their mistake.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've asked Michelin themselves what bike weights the GT model is for and they shared it was designed for full size sport touring bikes like the Concourse14, FJR1300, etc.....700 pound bikes, plus luggage, and being ridden 2 up. I asked about a 600 pound bike that I have....ZZR1200....they said GT is not needed, stick with the regular PR4. So, on a FZ9 the GT is very definitely the wrong tire...far too stiff and it's going to make handling worse due to less compliance. Think it as putting 8 ply light truck tires on vs. regular tires..

·
Registered
245 Posts
On the work order it says 'Pilot Road 4' for both front and rear. Thanks everyone for the feedback. After reading through the responses I decided to give them a call. They apologized right away and told me they had the right tire in stock and to come in they could swap it out ASAP--no charge. It was a hassle having to make the ride out there but the bike does feel better now with the right tire on. Thanks!
Thanks for the update. That sounds like a great outcome. If we had dealers like that, I would have had less reason to start changing my own.

·
Registered
768 Posts
In 07', I bought a used 01' SV650 from a bike shop owner (his personal ride) and after I got it home realized it had a radial front tire and a bias-ply rear!
I rode it that way for a short time before putting on a new set of Pirellis. Funny thing was, despite the warnings to the contrary, the mixed set rode just fine.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Sounds like an excellent dealer and he deserves your business!

Happy to hear it all worked out for you!

Reactions: mralandy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts