Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were approached about creating a dealer program, so we worked up some numbers. There are a few logistical details that are unclear at this point, and still haven't gotten final approval from a possible vendor. We do have a good idea of where we could go with it. Feel free to comment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,413 Posts
Yeah Rabbit can you elaborate a bit more?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
That statement was about as vague as you can get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the lack of details, nothing is concrete yet. Basically what we are looking at is allowing reselling of our headlight upgrade products. Like a wholesale program of sorts. I'm still not sure on a few logistical details, like getting the customers headlights, whether they send directly to us or to the reseller then the send to us. Of course there would be some profits available to the reseller. Just not sure how many would actually interested. It is geared towards someone with either a bike shop, or retail store for motorcycle parts. Hopefully that is a little more clear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
most dealers i go into now, carry very little inventory - even specialty shops like ones that do only suspension - have to order whatever you want as they rarely have enough inventory for any given bike (not that i expect they would). Given that i'm not sure what the benefit would be here vs. reaching out directly to AHR. Would you be able to stock dealers with lights so that they can do the fitment themselves? If it's about building broader awareness of AHR - i'm sure it wouldn't hurt - but if i'm taking my light into a dealer, having them send it to you and then you sending it back and them giving it to me, I would rather just send it to you directly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most dealers i go into now, carry very little inventory - even specialty shops like ones that do only suspension - have to order whatever you want as they rarely have enough inventory for any given bike (not that i expect they would). Given that i'm not sure what the benefit would be here vs. reaching out directly to AHR. Would you be able to stock dealers with lights so that they can do the fitment themselves? If it's about building broader awareness of AHR - i'm sure it wouldn't hurt - but if i'm taking my light into a dealer, having them send it to you and then you sending it back and them giving it to me, I would rather just send it to you directly.
Thanks for the comments, this is what I am looking for. Being that we are in the business, it is hard to see it from a customer stand point anymore. The idea stems from the fact that we may be doing some business with a well known sportbike retailer. It would sort of get us more exposure, and possibly more business, if we are being "marketed" by a large name that everyone knows and trusts.

That is the point that I have been trying to figure out. Why go with a retailer over direct to us. Here is what I came up with. If a dealer or reseller, whatever we would call them, were interested, could actually carry an inventory of "typical option" headlights that they would be able to A) Sell & Install or B) Sell, and give immediately to the end user (opposed to any downtime by current process). There could be a possibility of a "core charge" program if they were so inclined, however we aren't sold on that idea yet as now you aren't talking about a new part, so it wouldn't exactly be fair to sell as new.

We have done enough retrofits to know what the typical options are, so we could supply complete kits in advance for inventory. Lead times on a large order like that would be dependent on order volume.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
I'm not 100% aware of all your business offers - do you provide lights for any bike or certain models? If it's certain models - you probably can drive a decent amount of awareness by doing exactly what you're doing on this forum - for any forum that you provide a solution for.

I would assume that maybe 30% (maybe 40%?) of a total bike model base is on a forum - so if you want to reach the other 70%/60% - partnering with an online retailer or similar may be the way to reach that market, but you could also argue that the audience (while a certain percentage i'm sure still mods their bikes) are not as involved in making modifications to their ride and thus likely not your core target.

Awareness generation is always a plus anyway you can take it (particularly if it's at a low cost), the consultant in me warns you that with broader awareness comes a better need for supply chain and manufacturing efficiency and that needs to be war gamed and understood before you sign any deal (i.e. what % spike in demand can you project before your turnaround time starts to increase - and by how much). If that % is low - i'd figure that out before partnering with anyone.

Just my 2 cents though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not 100% aware of all your business offers - do you provide lights for any bike or certain models? If it's certain models - you probably can drive a decent amount of awareness by doing exactly what you're doing on this forum - for any forum that you provide a solution for.

I would assume that maybe 30% (maybe 40%?) of a total bike model base is on a forum - so if you want to reach the other 70%/60% - partnering with an online retailer or similar may be the way to reach that market, but you could also argue that the audience (while a certain percentage i'm sure still mods their bikes) are not as involved in making modifications to their ride and thus likely not your core target.

Awareness generation is always a plus anyway you can take it (particularly if it's at a low cost), the consultant in me warns you that with broader awareness comes a better need for supply chain and manufacturing efficiency and that needs to be war gamed and understood before you sign any deal (i.e. what % spike in demand can you project before your turnaround time starts to increase - and by how much). If that % is low - i'd figure that out before partnering with anyone.

Just my 2 cents though.
Everything is generally custom, which increases turn around time, and it is always varied (different models sometimes). We have only turned away one bike model, and that is because of the housing style. Primarily work on Yamaha, have gotten a couple Kawasaki's. The work itself is really what we offer, that and we are a reseller of TRS parts for the DIY'er. It is difficult to break into a new bike model by the forum support method when generally it costs money, and difficult to earn trust from customers (forum members) by signing up and saying, "Here is my product." and then not participating in the forum.

Yes, it would need to be a retailer that would offer aftermarket parts to cater to those who do mod their rides. I have found that modifications on motorcycles is more prevalent since they are usually for recreation over necessity.

That is true, and something that I would need to be prepared to deal with. Being that we have performed over 70 retrofits, time management is something that we have had to deal with. I know there is more that we need to work out, but you have given some great points.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top