Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to drain off some of my oil today. I drained about 100 maybe 150mls of oil out to get the level just below the high mark. Would it be possible for that little amount of overfill to damage anything? I have about 400 miles on her right now.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You may have some oil in your air box from the breather tube. Check the drain tube that comes out by the countershaft sprocket for oil dripping. If so, you may have to have the air box cleaned out.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If it was over filled it would have been from the Yamaha assembly plant, not the dealership. Each and every one are test run after assembly so oil/coolant has to be in the engine. With the small amount you drained (3oz) off it wouldn't have done any damage at all.

Reactions: Yoyodyne

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I didn't think it would. Just wanted a second opinion. Haven't noticed any oil dripping but I'll check the hose.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Klye, was your 09 on a rear stand when you were looking at the oil level? That might make it look higher. Have there been any oil changes since you got the bike?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No oil changes since I bought the bike. I did not use a stand. I always check the oil with the bike held upright on a level surface. The oil level sight window was completely filled with oil with the bike held straight up on a level surface. It wasn't much, but still it should be correct from the factory!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I always put mine on the front and rear stands when I do mine in all my bikes. Both tires are off the ground the exact same distance so the bike is perfectly vertical. Even holding the bike you may "think" it's vertical but a couple degrees either way will influence the oil level when you're looking at the sight glass. It may look a little low, but leaned a few degrees left, or over filled a few degrees leaned right.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
my window was filled when i got the bike too, i only rode 200mi before i changed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I work in the service department at a Yamaha dealership and got to uncrate, build, and prep my own bike (lucky me, right?). It came out of the crate with the oil at upper line. I asked our pre-delivery tech about it and he says he sees that often, but never any over the upper line.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Mine came from the factory at the top of the window, but when the dealer changed the oil they over filled it by approx 200 ml. I used an oil mix syringe with tubing on the end to remove the excess from the crankcase. I mentioned it in my Yamaha dealer survey... No oil in the airbox, so there is a certain amount of leeway when it comes to an oil level above the top of the sight glass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was always under the impression that they filled the bikes up with fluids at the dealership - Is that not the case?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts