Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by my dealer today. He said he ordered 6 yesterday (Friday the 13th, crap.. It will get lost in route)

2 were red (counting the 1 for me). 2 had deposits (counting the 1 for me). He felt 2-3 weeks before they would arrive.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Very cool! At least your dealer has an expected time line. My dealer ordered mine a week ago today....Sept. 7th and all I could get out of him was that he would call me when they see that it is loaded on a truck and on the way. When that happens, they will have a V.I.N. number and I am going to go ahead and get my paperwork for purchase and the small loan started so that when it arrives, all I'm going to do is give it a quick test ride, sign the papers, and load it in the enclosed trailer and bring it home. Then I'll install the swingarm spools and take the tires off and change them out with a set of Dunlop Q3s and take it out for the 20 mile or so break in. Tick tock Tick tock!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That should be a fun 20 mile ride you got planned. My know my dealer was basing that on past experiences with Yamaha but this new bike may not fit the normal process since they are just getting it off the ground. I plan to ride the 25 miles home from dealer. I got 4k saved from selling my 1988 Super Magna 750 V4 so I will also need a small loan for the difference. I feel anything around 150 is like a non-event. I sure hope Geico classifies it like my CTX for insurance. Honda had a lower interest rate 2.99

I asked the dealer about the tires and he said they would probably be Bridgestone or Dunlop but not sure what series. I'm ok with that. I like and used Michelin for my riding around here and I don't ride in the rain but could get caught in it. I ride when cold so a tire that works well cold would be good so I might rethink what I will need after wearing down the stock ones without going nuts on the power. I see me having a tire jar/piggy bank for frequent deposits to cover replacements.

W

·
0 Posts
That should be a fun 20 mile ride you got planned. My know my dealer was basing that on past experiences with Yamaha but this new bike may not fit the normal process since they are just getting it off the ground. I plan to ride the 25 miles home from dealer. I got 4k saved from selling my 1988 Super Magna 750 V4 so I will also need a small loan for the difference. I feel anything around 150 is like a non-event. I sure hope Geico classifies it like my CTX for insurance. Honda had a lower interest rate 2.99

I asked the dealer about the tires and he said they would probably be Bridgestone or Dunlop but not sure what series. I'm ok with that. I like and used Michelin for my riding around here and I don't ride in the rain but could get caught in it. I ride when cold so a tire that works well cold would be good so I might rethink what I will need after wearing down the stock ones without going nuts on the power. I see me having a tire jar/piggy bank for frequent deposits to cover replacements.
Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I will have to load mine into the truck and bring it home in order to do a proper redline break-in the first 20 or so miles. I will wear the stock tires out and switch to Michelin Pilot Road 3, which holds up the best wear for road and wheelies, super fast warm-up , and great in the rain. Pretty good in the turns.

·
Registered
300 Posts
+1 on the Pilot Road 3's. I also love the Dunlop Sportmax 2's. Although I only got 3,500mi. out of the rear Sportmax 2 this summer, on my low powered (but hard ridden) 2012 kawi Ninja 650. Not sure why, I had the original Sportmax on another bike, same hard riding on the same roads, and got 1,500 more miles out of that. Living in Washington state and riding year round, you need tires that work in the wet, and dry. Even when it's cool out, they get heat in them quickly, and have good grip even scrubbed to the edges.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to load mine into the truck and bring it home in order to do a proper redline break-in the first 20 or so miles. I will wear the stock tires out and switch to Michelin Pilot Road 3, which holds up the best wear for road and wheelies, super fast warm-up , and great in the rain. Pretty good in the turns.
Like to hear your definition of a "Proper redline break-in the first 20 or so miles". I will be taking backroads home so I can vary the throttle and gears . I, myself, don't plan on wheelies but if that happens I will keep them to a few inches at most. Michelin dual compound tires are known for good wear and are priced reasonable.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’d go with the Dunlop Q3s on this one. [Tripplethreat hit this one spot on]. I’ve gotten better feedback from the Dunlop Q3s than with Michelin and Bridgestone tires [Not that they are not great tires, but the Q3s work well for me.] In my humble experience, the Q3s just feel more “precise” (for sake of a better word). And I’m going to forgo “dyno spinning” to achieve any break-in requirements. And Yes---I know it’s quicker and it’s great. It really is. But ya’ know what? Sometimes I just like doing it the ol’ fashion way: Getting On The Bike And Riding It. The first spin of the tires [minus the dealership’s check ride] will be all mine. Purely and uniquely mine. I think it will be much more enjoyable for me this time around. I’m looking forward to it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for posting the link. That was interesting. Might try it this time. I am an old dog but can learn. In the past I would run a new bike up and down though the lower gears and avoid the top two if a six speed I have never been a synthetic oil fan so that part is fine (don't chide me people who like synthetic oil, it's a free country...lol). low mile oil change makes sense too. I better get a filter when I pick the thing up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts