Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The instrument display on my 2015 Fz 09 completely quit working, the screen is lit up but blank. My bike is still under warranty. I contacted the dealer I purchased the bike from (John Burr Cycles in Fontana) to make an appointment and was informed they were two weeks backed up on work and one of their techs was about to go on vacation. The advisor said it would be better for me to take it elsewhere. So last Tuesday I went to Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside Ca. and the advisor that 'helped' me made me an appointment to drop off the bike for repair today at 9:00 AM. Unsuspecting any foul play I loaded the 09 into my pickup this morning and drove to Riverside. I was not happy to find they are closed today. He made an appointment for me on a day they were closed! Well now I know why the first question the advisor asked me was "where did you buy this bike?" Is this type of treatment normal or could this be an honest mistake? How could he stare at his computer schedule days prior and not contact me to reschedule? I also called him Thursday to ask a question about additional service and was only able to leave him a msg. to call me back. He never called me. This just seems unnecessary and unprofessional to me.

I had two past experiences with Malcolm Smith Motorsports that were not so pleasing. Are my expectations too high? Am I reading the situation wrong?

I'm an auto tech for a major luxury auto brand and most of the warranty work I do is on vehicles that were not purchased at my dealer. I don't cry about it or play games. I don't even care where they bought it. I'm curious if this is normal treatment in the motorsports industry.

I'm sorry if there's a thread already on Malcolm Smith Motorsports seemingly being unprofessional and petty.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I'd say it's time to talk to the service manager and if he doesn't do anything, talk to the owner. Yes it might have been an accident and he forgot today was a holiday, but really, it's still a rookie mistake.

They need to make things right, and if not, they just are not worth bothering with. Plus a complaint to Yamaha USA might be in order as well.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I would take it to the most convenient dealer. All they need to do is see that the display no longer works. Most likely the guy at Malcolm just made a stupid mistake.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It shouldn't matter where you take it or where you bought it for warranty work- any authorized Yamaha dealer can make warranty repairs, and they get their labor hours reimbursed, although some are more willing than others...

·
Registered
318 Posts
take it to chaparral motorsports, and it's closer from your place, or call them 1st and see what they can do with yours

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say it's time to talk to the service manager and if he doesn't do anything, talk to the owner. Yes it might have been an accident and he forgot today was a holiday, but really, it's still a rookie mistake.

They need to make things right, and if not, they just are not worth bothering with. Plus a complaint to Yamaha USA might be in order as well.
I might stop by there tomorrow, I don't know.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Any dealer should welcome manufacturer paid warranty repairs, as you already know. Just ask for Malcolm, tell him that you are a big fan, and tell him that it pains you to have to inform him about your treatment, that you are trying to make them your dealer of choice in the future.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I bet the scheduling issue was an honest mistake. I do a lot of scheduling through my work and was more than once tempted to schedule someone on this holiday because the day looked empty according to the calendar. Of course it looked empty, we were closed!

Obviously you didn't think about the holiday either, or you would have thrown up a red flag before driving out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My guess is it was an honest mistake. But I will say that I feel like customer service in general is getting worse everywhere. Granted there are some businesses that are great. But overall, its getting worse. Courtesy is becoming as rare as an indicator (turn signal).

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Where you bought the bike is not a consideration with getting service done ESPECIALLY warranty service.

Yamaha pays the dealer for the warranty work.

BTW, if you have not checked already, you should pull the instrument cluster off and remove the electrical plug and reinstall the plug. It is likely a bad connection and that is the first thing any tech will do and if it solves it, he is done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I dropped by Malcolm, I was just going to briefly whine about what happened. I spoke to a different advisor this time because the other gentleman wasn't there today. I explained what happened and didn't demand answers or get dramatic. This other advisor was very helpful and wasn't concerned with where I bought the bike at. He requested I bring the bike in tomorrow 9/9/15, and that he would get it checked and the part ordered asap.

I'm thinking this must have been an honest mistake. What really sucks about it is that the other day when I was pissed about going to Riverside for nothing, I dropped an Allen wrench on the fuel tank and chipped the paint while reinstalling my tall windscreen. The chip is small but it really stinks why I was messing with the bike in the first place. First world problems right...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where you bought the bike is not a consideration with getting service done ESPECIALLY warranty service.

Yamaha pays the dealer for the warranty work.

BTW, if you have not checked already, you should pull the instrument cluster off and remove the electrical plug and reinstall the plug. It is likely a bad connection and that is the first thing any tech will do and if it solves it, he is done.
Today the advisor and tech checked out the display and connection briefly. I had already checked it myself though. The display fault seems more like a processor or board issue. I'm going to have Malcolm repair the bike. The other advisor I spoke with today was superb.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
great to hear!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had several interactions with those guys when trying to figure out the CCT issue before anyone knew about it. Alexander (service manager, Malcolm's son) went above and beyond by getting Yamaha people involved to get answers... Alexander looks just like his dad when he was younger. Heh, genetics.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Malcolm replaced the display today. I wasn't expecting it to be finished until Monday. I'm glad to report no further problems with my service visit. I wonder if Yamaha sends out service surveys. I did get one for sales after I bought it. I would give Malcolm high scores and disregard the schedule issue. I screw up too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts